Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #21

City: Markham
Vessel Name: Loons Nest
Vessel Model: 2003 American Tug 34
Well it looks like either shrink wrapping or a custom fitted cover is the way to go. I am waiting to get a quote on a custom canvas cover to see how it compares.

Is there any way to make shrink wrapping reusable?

David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rive View Post
Well it looks like either shrink wrapping or a custom fitted cover is the way to go. I am waiting to get a quote on a custom canvas cover to see how it compares.

Yes it can be done as long as you have someplace to store it.
Slice it somewhere around center at the transom up as far as you have to in order to remove it over the bow.
Keep the frame pieces.
Then in the fall install the opposite way and pick up some of the scrap pieces of virgin shrink wrap the pros throw out and use it to patch the slit.
You can use a regular propane torch just be careful not to burn thru. It will take a little practice and patience.
Wear gloves, hot shrink wrap is hot!

Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #23
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Yes it can be done as long as you have someplace to store it.
Slice it somewhere around center at the transom up as far as you have to in order to remove it over the bow.
Keep the frame pieces.
Then in the fall install the opposite way and pick up some of the scrap pieces of virgin shrink wrap the pros throw out and use it to patch the slit.
You can use a regular propane torch just be careful not to burn thru. It will take a little practice and patience.
Wear gloves, hot shrink wrap is hot!
+1
I've never done it because as a liveaboard I have nowhere to store it but I know many who have gotten 2 and sometimes 3 seasons out of it.

Do NOT cheap out and buy the thin stuff, it may not even make it through one winter. That extra mil makes a huge difference. If you use the clear stuff you can work inside on sunny days in t-shirt and shorts. At -15C outside, it can be 20C inside with the sun.... like a greenhouse.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #24

That's great! Thanks folks.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #25

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Genco Marine is making mine. I've been wandering around yards for a long time and theirs stands out as being the best IMO, and they're a great family run business. Retail price for their standard three piece cover is CAD$80/foot and you build the frame with their $300 kit and a few 2x4s.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #26
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Genco Marine is making mine. I've been wandering around yards for a long time and theirs stands out as being the best IMO, and they're a great family run business. Retail price for their standard three piece cover is CAD$80/foot and you build the frame with their $300 kit and a few 2x4s.
Jeff: How'd the rest of the trip go for you ? We are currently sitting in a marina in Cape May and taking quite a buffeting. We picked the right night to be in a pretty well protected marina .... at anchor would have sucked today.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #27

Jeff - you just gave me the quote I am waiting to get back from Genco. Cheers.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #28
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:

David

Yes we reused for 2 seasons regularly...a couple of tips / caveats

- we did the original wrap and didn't try to get it as tight as most yards do - eases the removal & reinstall
- It takes a village - many hands work well - the slightest breeze will drive you nuts - really best on a calm day - and forget trying to shrink if it's even drizzling
- We always used a good size rope in the bottom hem - allows you to tighten it up for storage and loosen for removal - also a good place to tie for under the hull / keel lines that keep it down & tight - use a loop in one end to get leverage and leave some extra to loosen - mark where the knot is
- You don't need a full frame for support - our yard uses 1-3 "uprights" - usually 2x6 frame w/ carpet cover on top & bottom and they string the non-stretch strapping from bow - over uprights & down to swim platform supports to form a peak - be sure to tie uprights fore / aft well
- you have to pad any / all chafe points - carpet, rags or scrap shrink wrap work well - tie them in place or they will move
- shrinking from the inside much easier than outside - at least for 80 - 90% of the area - the professional gun makes quick work - I've used a heat gun for small area patch & on a small run about
- blue shrink wrap warms up faster and sheds snow / ice better than white but sill be hotter to work inside in the spring
- don't wrap it too tight - we burned holes at the bow - or you can make an "X" w/ shrink wrap tape and slit an "X" w/ a razor knife - the flaps left discourage the birds from getting in and nesting under cover
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #29

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Not to hijack the thread, but along the same lines....

What are the options for winter storage for one that wants to store the boat for the winter and spend winter in FL. Like doing the loop?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Myers
We use to shrink wrap when it was inexpensive and then the prices really shot up, we have bridge canvas made and cockpit canvas made and have been using it for 18 years now, couple of times we had to get some minor repairs. For us it seemed like such a waste, getting wrapped in November and taking it off in March and you see this big pile of plastic, wood and cord at the end seemed just so wasteful .
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but along the same lines....

What are the options for winter storage for one that wants to store the boat for the winter and spend winter in FL. Like doing the loop?
Not sure what the question is but some folks store there boats along the way and pick up again next year instead of rushing through to get it done.
Many I've met store at Winter Hbr just off Oneida Lk in NY. I'm sure there are many other options
Old 09-30-2016, 03:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Not sure what the question is but some folks store there boats along the way and pick up again next year instead of rushing through to get it done.
Many I've met store at Winter Hbr just off Oneida Lk in NY. I'm sure there are many other options
Bacchus,

Good answer. Are there marinas that cater to loopers, and it there a thought of being a bit south for milder winters, like KY, GA, NC, SC.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Bacchus,

Good answer. Are there marinas that cater to loopers, and it there a thought of being a bit south for milder winters, like KY, GA, NC, SC.
Seevee
I'll qualify my answer before proceeding - am not a looper but have traveled NY & Canadian canals, Lk Ontario, Lk Champlain & St Lawrence often. Lots of great cruising in those areas. I have spoken to many loopers at our home port on Seneca Lk (NY Finger Lakes) and while cruising.

I would say...
There are good & not so good marinas / yards most everywhere
I am not aware of any that "cater" to loopers
I'd say looking for a good marina would be secondary to figuring out where you want to be or plan to be at / near the end of a season and then to look for recommendations for a good marina/yard

Further south may be an advantage - but depends - if a season cruising will put you there but not so good if it's not that far from home port. NY canals typically open approx may 1st but will depend on winter run-off & spring rains...also the Hudson can be a little treacherous during spring hi water due to lots of logs/debris.

Several cruisers I have spoken to have left there boat at Brewerton, NY - there are a couple of good choices there (from others experience & recommendations) Winter Hbr has indoor heated storage - not inexpensive but an advantage if you wan to do any work while on the hard. EssKay yards is another I have done some business with and others have spoken about.

Brewerton is close to Syracuse and an advantage if you would be flying in/out.
If driving there are other very good yards not too far away.
Brewerton is also a good location in that you are close to the canal junction at 3 Rivers where you can head W to explore the Finger Lakes, or go all the way to Buffalo & Lk Erie or you can head N to Oswego to get to St Lawrence, 1,000 Is, Rideau Canal, Trent Severn canal, or do a seasons worth of cruising a small loop through most of the above plus Chambly canal to Lk Champlain, & back to Albany & Brewerton

Some loopers I've talked to have completed the loop and returned to explore the areas above in a more leisurely pace...one i met this season was from Tampa and has left there boat at Brewerton 3 winters to return and explore addn'l areas.

If you will end a season on Georgian Bay Lk Huron I would strongly recommend considering South bay Cove Marina in Honey hbr- I've stayed there when we cruised the Trent Severn Canal and it is the nicest marina I have ever been in. We are considering moving there for a season to explore Georgian Bay & N Channel.

There are a couple of "Looper" groups that should be able to provide more first hand info / opinions. Probably worth connecting with them when you start to do some serious planning.

Happy to provide more info based on your specific situation or desires
Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #34

City: Columbia SC
Vessel Name: Classy Lady
Vessel Model: Alaskan 46, #14
Winter cover

I had a fitted cover made lke the truckers use & it although heave did the job, new owner still has it so over 10 years service seems a good deal
skipper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #35

Don,
Thanks, great info. I'm just in the early planning stages and would most likely do a loop in two years leaving the boat somewhere.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #36
FF
Guru

There are loads of places , some hurricane proof , to store in the summer in FLA and spend the winter warm.

Folks that store for the winter , remember "stuff happens" , which means it is wise to winterize , even in places that "never" freeze.

Either way be sure to look in Da Book (the repair manual) for "out of service for over 30 days"or a similar heading and follow the advice 100%..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #37
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Shrinkwrap is an insanely expensive throw away item for outdoor storage. BUT, the damage and repair costs (nevermind the uv damage) are greatly minimized or eliminated when wrapped.

Your question is sort of like my pondering. I could inside store my boat for about 3600 or outside for 1400. So I had to cost and compare the extra 400 for wrapping totaling 1800 versus 3600 for inside (although not heated). Its all about how much you want to preserve the boat and not have a hassle next spring.

I found taking the dehumidifier from the basement to the boat and running it for a week totally dried out the inside of the boat after wrapping eliminating any mold, smell issue for the entire winter.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote