Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #41
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
RE: Winter Project II: Raw Water Plumbing

Quote:
FF wrote:
Mounting the motors vertically with the pump on the bottom may help save the motor when the shaft seal goes.
******** That actually happened to me years ago. The pump was mounted over the motor and when it sprung a leak the motor was fried.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #42
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Unless gravity somehow changes, if the pump fails while it rig is on its side... I don't see water intruding into the motor. Right?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Sarcasm, right?*

With all due respect, you ask the question, you get insightful advice based on past experience from experienced boat owners and you challenge that advice.* I once had a boss who was fond of saying, "If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question."*

Water leaking under pressure on a rolling and pitching boat can go many directions.*

My pumps are also mounted vertically with the motor above the pump.* That's how the manufacturer built it so I figured that's how they wanted them mounted.* I'm not sure it makes a difference in pump operation or priming, but I know they work well upright.* Besides, it's easy enough to vary your fittings and elbows to accomodate this without taking up much more space.*

But, in the end, it's your project, your call.*
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #44
Guru

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Unless gravity somehow changes, if the pump fails while it rig is on its side... I don't see water intruding into the motor. Right?
******* Of course you are right! My comment was based on the photo you provided.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
Guru

No... It was a SERIOUS inquiry, Al.

If you're trying to prevent gravity from putting water in the motor, I was honestly trying to understand how a failing shaft seal let the water go sideways? If water is under pressure and goes every direction in the event of a failure, how is sideways less destructive than any other direction? I am sure it's more than losing a motor. There is a fire hazard there. That said, how do we know that's how the manufacturer built it? I read the installation guide and it says "The pump can be mounted in any position. If mounting the pump vertically, the pump head should be in the down position." No mention of anything else. Can you NOW understand why I inquired and/or questioned the advice? This is just a washdown pump. It won't get a massive duty cycle. If the seal fails and starts letting in seawater, I have bigger problems than replacing a $115 washdown pump.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #46
FF
Guru

If water is under pressure and goes every direction in the event of a failure, how is sideways less destructive than any other direction?

Water IS effected by gravity , so mounting the pump below the motor may save the motor with a slow leaking shaft seal.

Most folks attempt to use "best practices" , what is "BEST" is usually the gear mfg call.

Those who know more than the Mfg. should do it their way.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #47
Guru

Why are you guys jumping in my ^%$ about this? I am not claiming any more knowledge about this than the manufacturer and I am not mounting this with the motor down. I am within what the manual says can be done and was merely trying to understand why y'all thought sideways was bad. I am not being rude about this. These are honest questions that are only meant to get you to support your assertions that I am doing it wrong.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #48
Guru

Is this the final configuration for your Project? In other words, will the starboard be mounted vertically?
Attached Thumbnails
gonzo.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #49
Guru

Yes.

Ahhh, I see where you might be going with this. Hmmm... I wonder if this is actually considered vertical by THEIR definition? I saw "vertical" as only motor up or motor down and this as simply horizontal but rotated 90-degrees.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #50
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Winter Project II: Raw Water Plumbing

From Shurflo washdown pump install instructions -

Mount higher than the outside water (sea) level. The pump is (edited)

prime above the outside water level. The pump can be mounted in any position. If mounting

the pump vertically, the pump head should be in the down position.

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 04:09:42 PM
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #51
Guru

Yea... The above the waterline can't really happen (maybe in a future upgrade), but 99% of the time the seacock will be closed and I must assume they state the reason for that because of the possible shaft bushing failure. Bummer.

Maybe I'll call them about their definition of vertical.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #52
FF
Guru

Good Luck,

I'm still working on the meaning of "IS".

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 06:30:17 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #53
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Yea... The above the waterline can't really happen (maybe in a future upgrade), but 99% of the time the seacock will be closed and I must assume they state the reason for that because of the possible shaft bushing failure. Bummer.

*Pretty much a wasted phone*call... its pretty obvious that their*wishes are that the pump is equal to or lower than the motor (go to several manufacturer websires of these kinds of pumps and read the instructions/and look at the install pics).* No rocket science required.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #54

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Friendship
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck

Tom, you're fine with the way you have it layed out. Someone is making way too big of a deal out of this. They were talking about the spray under pressure type of failures, and that just doesn't happen very often. I've been working on these diaphram type of pumps for years and I've NEVER seen that type of failure. They are usually a slow seep type of failure which will do just fine with the way you have the pump mounted. Obviously you can see that if the pump was mounted vertically, motor down, a slow seep would eventually get past the motor seal.

Not to say a catastrophic failure with water spraying everywhere couldn't happen, but I've never seen it. Or heard of it happening.

Like I've said before, just be sure that the ac pump, strainer, and thru hull are all in a steady up hill mounting, all below the water line and you should be a happy camper.

Brent
Brent Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #55
Guru

Gave it another look today. Like I said, I have a little more room on this board than the original. By flipping the handle to the bottom, it looks like I could actually satisfy the motor-up config should I opt to. It actually serves another master by getting the pump even more out of the way of the seacock. Will have to goto the boat and verify the fit first though.

plummockup9 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 08:00:13 PM
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
*By flipping the handle to the bottom, it looks like I could actually satisfy the motor-up config should I opt to.

__________________________________________________ ___

I like it much better! (It would be nice, however, to get that terminal block out of the way of a "dripping pump."*)

Don't crucify me, Tom. I'm just interested in your project. :worship:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 11:26:54 PM
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #57
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'

Yes, wiring is always better over top of potential drips.
If the T.B. is to remain then rig a drip shield like a roof flashing to drip the water out and away and put drip loops into the wiring run before final connection to the T.B.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #58
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Tom is in the engine room installing his plumbing project.* We're having sustained 25-30 knot winds and Skinny Dippin' is dancing all around in her slip!* Makes for fun times finding pieces that rolled into the engine room while no one is looking and all you hear is "TING" as it hits the floor!*

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #59
Guru

SHE'S IN!!!!

Spent yesterday doing the final install. It took two trips to Mitchell's Hardware and one trip to Worst Marine, but she is in and working. No runs, drips, or errors. Still need to do the final hook-up of the washdown circuit and may hold off on that for a bit. Nevertheless, I am happy with the results.

I really should move the electrical, but it's out of the way of everything short of a spraying failure, but like I have said before, if I get a failure like that, I have bigger problems that whether the electrical will short out :-D

Thanks for everyone's help on this!!!

plumbfinal2 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 26th of February 2012 08:29:13 AM
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #60
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
SHE'S IN!!!!

Spent yesterday doing the final install. It took two trips to Mitchell's Hardware and one trip to Worst Marine, but she is in and working. No runs, drips, or errors. Still need to do the final hook-up of the washdown circuit and may hold off on that for a bit. Nevertheless, I am happy with the results.

I really should move the electrical, but it's out of the way of everything short of a spraying failure, but like I have said before, if I get a failure like that, I have bigger problems that whether the electrical will short out :-D

Thanks for everyone's help on this!!!

plumbfinal2 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 26th of February 2012 08:29:13 AM
*Tom,

You could move the terminal strip up to the top left just to the right of the A/C pump.* I think you will have plenty of room to service the strainer.* Install a plastic cover to prevent accidentally hitting it with a tool and you would be good to go.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote