Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #81
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I bit the bullet and ordered up the Xtreme 600W heater. Unless we get a ton of snow I'm not really sweating this anymore.

So, I think winterization is now draining the house water and running the pink stuff through. Maybe change the oil & filters, but I may wait for Spring for that. My sea strainer is set up with a valve to a hose I stick in a 5 gallon bucket of anti-freeze and suck through the system and out the exhaust. I'm guessing I'll just run some through, close the seacock and be done each time I take her out for a winter run. Even with a heater I'm going to run the anti-freeze through.

Maybe I'll have to drain the water lift muffler too? Hmmmm. I'll have to think on that one. It's not as easy to get at as the seacock. Running anti-freeze through is probably adequate even if diluted by the water sitting in the muffler. And it's not like the boat will sink if the muffler is damaged by freezing.

I'm open to ideas. Especially easy inexpensive ones.

Canvas? Take the bimini canvas in for the winter?

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -
If you determine you can keep sufficient heat on the boat--- and it doesn't take much--- to keep the fresh water system from freezing I'd suggest forgoing the "pink stuff." We used to do this and it took all summer to get the taste and smell out of the water. Plus we had to keep potable water in jugs in the galley since we use the boat year round.

After talking to a friend who kept a 60' converted steel fireboat on a mooring at an island with no groundpower hookup, no power on the boat at all, and no heat and never had a problem with freezing fresh water we abandoned the whole fresh water winterization process and have never had a problem. No more pink stuff, no more awkward jugs of water.

Of course our boat sits in the water year round so that mitigates the temperature inside the boat, and our winter temperatures seldom dip below freezing for a 24 hour period or a period of several days. If the forecast in Bellingham calls for several days of below-freezing temperatures we'll turn on a small pillbox heater we keep in the lazarette with the water tanks during the winter as insurance against freezing but in reality I suspect we would not even have to do that. The rest of the fresh water system--- hoses, pump, water heater, etc.--- are kept from freezing by the heaters we keep in the aft cabin and engine room.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #83
Curmudgeon

I'm beginning to feel more and more like an overwrought, belt-and-braces, hand wringing old woman! OMG, what if .. what if ....
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #84
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
........... Maybe change the oil & filters, but I may wait for Spring for that............
Do it now to get rid of any acid or other contaminants in the oil. Don't let this stuff sit in your engine for six months or more.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #85
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Do it now to get rid of any acid or other contaminants in the oil. Don't let this stuff sit in your engine for six months or more.
Will that be a problem if I use the boat a few times during the winter?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #86
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Man is it realy that time of year again.

I prefer the boat outside to be left to deal with the enviroment. But I did build the aft cabin on the conversion under the Invader Dome. I used plastic pipe and duck tape under a bunch of tarps. I found for added strength through wind and snow load, adding rope works very well. Rope inside running in a way that increased the structure strength. Then I always had rope over the structure to help in over all strength but to stop the tarps from ballooning , flaping, and then tearing. Rope tite over the tarps realy works.

With the old Grenfell we had a custom canvas cover for the boat. We called it the cave and it sure helped keep the boat warm along with dry but very dark. If the ropes where not under and over it in a big wind or snow load life turned not so much fun. But the custom tarp was very easy to remove and install so made using the boat through the winter a breeze.

I have found the insurance underwritters react to the survey more than any internet web forum hear say. I use the oil filled radiator style heaters for my primary heat source. Insurance seemed fine with such. But I also live aboard and needed to have the insurance company grant that on my policy. Just like I had the marina adjust there policy to allow for the dikinson pot oil heater that is my primary heat source for when it gets very cold and or power goes out. My thought is to be honest with the surveryor and insurance undwritter for best results.

I also use the 100 watt light bulb in the lazzeret. To heat the water line that runs along the hull from the tank itself. It has to get very cold and the tank has to be low on water but I can have that line freeze up when there is ice on the river. The ER compartment vents are sealed off for winter and that keeps the area warm with zero condensation or moisture.

I dont change oil for winter as I do use the boat from time to time through the winter. Even if thats just to move for some reason. Changing the oil is not a seasonal event for me.

Winter can be a tough learning curve for new live aboards. But it brings on different challenges scenary places to visit and fun, depending on ones mind set.

All that being said not very many folk would live the way we do but we seem to love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 marina winter 008.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	13216   Click image for larger version

Name:	invader_0007.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	13217  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #87
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Will that be a problem if I use the boat a few times during the winter?
Not really if you keep bringing the engine up to temp.

If you are going to go through the process of pinking everything...there's really no need for the heater in the Chesapeake unless you expect temps in the teens for a few days...our rule of thumb for our assistance towing fleet is 3 days of freezing temps night and day...when that's expected we winterize the engines/seacocks.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #88
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
I'm beginning to feel more and more like an overwrought, belt-and-braces, hand wringing old woman! OMG, what if .. what if ....
Gee, why not bite the bullet and buy a 25 grand Webasto Diesel heater, which will keep the entire boat at dry and warm?

In the past two weeks, I have put the pilot house and stern canvas back on, put the plex a glass salon window cover back on, re sealed the deck, another coat of vanish on the weather areas, and in two weeks will put the rest of the canvas/tarps back on for the winter.

I change the oil in the fall, and the little we might start/use the engines has not added much acid/containments. Since we use the boat so little, 4 whole hours this year, we have been taking oil samples, but I still change the oil every other year.

Well, I know for sure that I have become a hand wring woman! I refuse to admit I am old. Live was a lot simpler and less worrying, being an air heads metro sexual that did know as much about boats I know now. My wife says she does not need to worry, as I do enough worrying for both of us. Which makes me worry more as she is so confident in me to handle the situation. Did I check that? What if? I need to double/triple check! What have I forgot? Gees, I am a nervous wreck!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #89
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Like a lot of folks, we started out winterizing with the pink / nontoxic antifreeze, but it's expensive and messy. Instead, I bought an inexpensive air compressor and plumbed it into the water pump circuit. Now, if were going to be gone for a while I just hook up the quick connect and open all the faucets and shower heads. The entire process takes about 10 minutes and costs nothing. I do use the pink stuff in the engine raw water system though. I simply close the seacock on the strainer, open the top, start the engine and poor the stuff in until it comes out the exhaust. This does two things, it fills the pump, lines and heat exchanger, and blows most of the water out of the water lift muffler.

Depending on heat to prevent freezing is a risky strategy here in Alaska since winter storms love to knock out the power on the dock at the worst possible time. I'd rather know were safe. In all the years I've been doing this, the worst thing that happened was that a bottle of vinegar froze and when it thawed the whole boat smelled like battery acid. At least that's what my neighbor said when he went aboard to check on the boat while we were on vacation. That one caused me some worry until I got back.....Arctic Traveller
Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #90
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
re: potable water system winterizing, filling a water heater with antifreeze takes quite a bit of it and it's very difficult to get it all out in the spring so water will continue to taste and smell like antifreeze.

The water heater should have a drain so it's easiest to just drain it. Any residual water can freeze and thaw over the winter without damaging the heater. You may find that a check valve creates a vacuum and prevents draining the tank. Opening the TP valve will relieve the vacuum.

On many boats, the water lines can be blown clear of water with an air compressor. Also, flexible piping such as PEX can withstand some freezing without bursting so if small pockets of water remain there should be no damage.. Leave all the faucets open to relieve any pressure.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #91
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Maybe change the oil & filters....
If the boat is going to sit unused for the winter it's a good idea to change the oil prior to this so the engines sit with fresh oil in them. But if like us you use the boat periodically through the winter then there is no need to change the oil until the engines come due for a regular oil change.

If our boat sits unused for more than four weeks or so without our having a chance or the weather to take it out for a weekend we'll run the engines in gear in the slip at about 1200rpm for 30 minutes or so. This gets them up into their normal operating temperature range for awhile.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, framework, storage, tarp, winter