Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #61
Scraping Paint

City: -
The co-worker who owned the sailboat I race-crewed on in the early 80s used a 60w lightbulb in the cabin in the winter. He wasn't trying to keep the interior warm, just keep the humidity at bay. And it worked.

So much so that when we bought our 17' Arima several years later I did the same thing in the little forecabin of that boat on its trailer in the backyard. But the bulbs would burn out on a regular basis so we eventually switched to a pillbox heater/fan unit from West Marine and we've been using that in the Arima
ever since.

I wouldn't do the lightbulb thing today nor would I advocate it. But it does work if the space is not very large.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #62
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Ron:

Insurance works like this;
The innocent party (third party) is always covered by the "third party liability" coverage of the "at fault" party. Then the small print of his policy permits the insurance company to recover from him what they have paid out, if he was "in breach" of the policy by, eg. committing a crime, such as DUI.
That is exactly the same in the US and in Canada.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #63
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
How about this?

New Heater Technology

Amazing Breakthrough in Engine Compartment Heater Technology.
Buy yours today at FoodLion, BiLo or WalMart only $2.95 + an empty can of Pork & Beans.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #64
Guru

City: Georgia
The light bulb works in small enclosed (non vented) spaces. A lot of farmers I know hang them in their wellhouse to keep the pump head from freezing. Farmer logic can't be wrong. NOTE: There isn't any fules in the welljhouse
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #65
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If anyone thinks an average lightbulb will keep a typical, older trawler engine room from freezing....I have some great real estate just east of Altantic City I'll let go for a song...

When I lived aboard for years on the Chesapeake, I tried those 300 watt magnetic block heaters on my 3208 cats....not even 1 degree rise on the engines...that 600 watts total in the engine room, directly applied to the bottom of the oil pan, vents blocked off and insulating blankets on top of the engines. So keeping pipes from freezing would have been a mistake without the heavy duty normal heating of the boat by living aboard.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #66
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hey does it work????

Will 100 watt light bulb really keep a 1500 pound engine/tranny and another 2000 pounds of steel tanks/fuel warm????
100watts ... probably not but I have not winterized my 1600lb diesel in 15 years of living aboard (just west of Toronto). A 250watt heat lamp keeps my engine/fuel compartment warm all winter.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
100watts ... probably not but I have not winterized my 1600lb diesel in 15 years of living aboard (just west of Toronto). A 250watt heat lamp keeps my engine/fuel compartment warm all winter.
let the rest of the boat go cold and then tell me if that 250 watts would keep anything from freezing....

when I lived aboard on the Chesapeake, I didn't have ANY heat in the engine room and nothing froze...even when temps fell into the teens...but my cockpit storage, where there was no heat above and that's where my water tanks were, they froze off and on.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #68
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
[QUOTE=psneeld;104601]let the rest of the boat go cold and then tell me if that 250 watts would keep anything from freezing.... QUOTE]

Why would I do that ? liveaboard + Toronto does not = dumb.
Well not necessarily
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #69
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
re: Denied insurance claims - If insurance companies could refuse to pay claims because someone did something wrong or stupid, they would never pay out a cent. They pay. They might drop you later, but they must pay.

Think about it - can your car insurance company refuse to pay a claim because you drove drunk and had a accident? Because you had a bald tire?
A direct quote from my policy:

General Warranties Section

In order to keep this policy in effect you must make and must keep certain promises. These are known as warranties, and shall not be interpreted as temporary conditions. If any of these promises are violated, the Policy becomes void in its entirety. No claims will be paid after the violation, whether or not the violation is connected with any claim. Subsequent correction of the violation will not reinstate the coverage.

6. Only UL or CSA approved heaters will be used aboard the Watercraft.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #70
Guru

[QUOTE=boatpoker;104610]
Quote:
let the rest of the boat go cold and then tell me if that 250 watts would keep anything from freezing.... QUOTE]

Why would I do that ? liveaboard + Toronto does not = dumb.
Well not necessarily
just making a point...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #71
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
A direct quote from my policy:

General Warranties Section

In order to keep this policy in effect you must make and must keep certain promises. These are known as warranties, and shall not be interpreted as temporary conditions. If any of these promises are violated, the Policy becomes void in its entirety. No claims will be paid after the violation, whether or not the violation is connected with any claim. Subsequent correction of the violation will not reinstate the coverage.

6. Only UL or CSA approved heaters will be used aboard the Watercraft.

Wow! if your policy has that exact language, what other language does it have that could cause you to have a uninsured loss?

My policy (seaworthy) does not have ANY restrictive language.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Wow! if your policy has that exact language, what other language does it have that could cause you to have a uninsured loss?

The good news.....

6. Only UL or CSA approved heaters will be used aboard the Watercraft

That's about 99% of the heaters you can buy (UL approved) or at least what I would buy....and there's nothing mentioned how they are used/hooked up.

So it seems restrictive buy holy cow...useless to even put it in there except for the really daring folks...you know those...how was it put before????

Oh yeah the... anti marine specific product people .... the ones that might use a Weber charcoal grill to heat the engine room of a gas powered Motor Yacht....

Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #73
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:

Mine does not either.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
..... But the bulbs would burn out on a regular basis .........
Yea, they've been known to do that from time to time. CFLs will last longer and use less energy.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #75
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Oh yeah the... anti marine specific product people .... the ones that might use a Weber charcoal grill to heat the engine room of a gas powered Motor Yacht...

"anti marine specific product people" or Darwin theory prover people?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #76
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yea, they've been known to do that from time to time. CFLs will last longer and use less energy.
Don't think they'd do much of a job of combatting humidity and holding the temperature up a bit, though. But at least you wouldn't have to pay much to accomplish nothing.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #77
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Or you could get a cover custom made, this is our local guy. Boatcovers
Roche, based on your recommendation, I contacted Chris and will be getting a full cover made for our 49. I've wanted a full cover for years, but could never find anyone to make one for a reasonable price. We have one really good canvas guy in Juneau, but he's way too proud of his work and recently raised his prices to $110/hr I got an estimate a few months back but couldn't justify the price. For less money, I'll fly Chris up to measure the boat and then he will make the cover in his shop in B.C. Hopefully, I'll get a few years out of it, Thanks for the tip...........Arctic Traveller
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #78
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:

I'm travelling at the moment but will reply in a couple of weeks. If memory serves, the other language was also reasonable. My preference is to know ahead of time what might be excluded.

I do know that I eliminated a couple of heaters that were not UL/CSA approved when I was looking for a heater, a number of years ago.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Don't think they'd do much of a job of combatting humidity and holding the temperature up a bit, though. But at least you wouldn't have to pay much to accomplish nothing.
I was hoping that most folks in the know would catch the "wink" smiley. Or, someone would bite and ask what size CFLs to get.

Of course, in the USA, the current administration is trying to outlaw incandescent lightbulbs so in a couple of years, CFLs may be your only option. Except for a purpose built heater.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #80
Scraping Paint

Well, incandescent or CFL, a lightbulb isn't going to do much to actually heat anything so a purpose-built heater is the way to go in my opinion. Boat heaters have caused a lot of fires over the years but I believe this has more to do with overloading the boat's (or boathouse's) wiring, heaters that have aged well beyond their sell-by date, careless installation or placement, and so on as opposed to some generic inherent danger with heaters on boats.

Simply "taking the edge off" and keeping moisture at bay doesn't require much heat at all. The heaters we run in the aft cabin and engine room are kept at their lowest settings with the thermostats halfway up. Most people would not consider the boat "warm" if they got on board.

Heating the boat to be comfortable to live or be on can require a lot more heat but the risk can go up along with the temperature. It's the reason the 20-slip boathouse burned to the water in Bellingham this past spring sinking all 20 boats and burning to death the live-aboard couple on one of them.

While I believe there are non-marine heaters that are effective and perfectly safe to use on a boat, I think one has to select and use them intelligently.

Tags
cover, framework, storage, tarp, winter