Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
...Looks like a lot of people here put in a lot of effort on the frames...that's good and so is the below the gunnels theory on total tarping.
If your boat has been painted with a 2-part polyurethane such as Awlgrip, be very careful not to trap any moisture against the hull or decks. You can not tarp or shrink wrap tight to the hull (like post #3) or decks or you will cause blistering and delamination of the paint. This will not happen with gel-coat. Hobo's getting new paint for the second time and we are fixing paint blisters as a result of past practices.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #42
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
If your boat has been painted with a 2-part polyurethane such as Awlgrip, be very careful not to trap any moisture against the hull or decks. You can not tarp or shrink wrap tight to the hull (like post #3) or decks or you will cause blistering and delamination of the paint. This will not happen with gel-coat. Hobo's getting new paint for the second time and we are fixing paint blisters as a result of past practices.
which really goes to my preference of no cover at all....

just too many small details to worry about an object made to be outside anyway...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #43
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDSAIL View Post
Sadly,
The winter cover up time is near.
What exactly is this "winter" you speak of?

No seriously, when I lived in MD and had a smaller boat, I made a PVC frame for a tarp to cover the boat. I found out a few things:

1) PVC pipe is not very rigid so it needs a lot of support pieces or it will sag.

2) PVC pipe becomes brittle when cold so if you hit it or drop it on the ground when setting the frame up or taking it down, it can shatter.

3) If you don't make the frame (and cover) steep enough for snow to slide off, you'll have to clear it with a broom or something or the tarp will tear or the frame will break.

4) Same as #3 for rain. Puddles will damage the tarp, frame, or both.

5) Tarps don't last long in bright sunlight and/or strong winds.

I never tried these, but there's a company that makes fittings to use metal electrical conduit for tarp frames. Defender sells them.

Defender.com Search Results: kover klamps

While open boats such as bow riders and center consoles would benefit from being covered for the winter, I would think the typical trawler would do fine without a cover. They are pretty much watertight already.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #44
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I'm convinced. I'm now looking at bilge heaters. These guys seem to dominate the market Year Round Boating with the Xtreme Marine Engine Bilge Compartment Heater

Does anyone have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about this line of product?

I'm a little uncomfortable leaving an oil filled room space heater energized while not aboard. But I'll use one for cabin heat if necessary while cruising.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
I'm convinced. I'm now looking at bilge heaters. These guys seem to dominate the market Year Round Boating with the Xtreme Marine Engine Bilge Compartment Heater

Does anyone have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about this line of product?

I'm a little uncomfortable leaving an oil filled room space heater energized while not aboard. But I'll use one for cabin heat if necessary while cruising.
If you have a gasoline powered boat, this or the BoatSafe heater are the only ones you should be using. You need something that's ignition protected and designed for gasoline powered boats.

I have one of the heaters from the link. I had it for my previous boat and kept it. It works but it doesn't come on until the temperature is pretty cool, I think about 40 degrees. I would have rather had something to come on at a warmer temperature to get some heat built up in the space as the outside temperature got colder. Perhaps you can talk to them about this.

Other than that, it did what it's supposed to do.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #46
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:

I would be careful in your selection heaters as your insurance coverage may be invalidated if you have a fire and it is determined that you had an inadequate heater. I've heard unsubstantiated stories of claims being denied even when the heater had nothing to do with the damage.

Any of the oil filled heaters I've seen are not acceptable, but that doesn't mean that none are any good.

Just a caution.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

City: -
On the recommendation of the former ower of wood boat that was in the next slip for years we changed from electric ceramic heaters to the oil-filled heaters, the ones that look like little steam radiators. No exposed heating element, no fan, they don't get hot enough on the lowest setting (600w), and they come back on by themselves if the power in the marina is interupted and restored (the ceramic heaters we had been using didn't--- they had to be reset.)

The one in the engine room keeps that space at about 55 degrees even on the coldest days. The one in the aft cabin keeps the interior of the boat dry and takes the chill off although I would not say it keeps the interior warm.

We've been using them for about ten or eleven years now and they work as advertised.

We only use these heaters when the boat is in its slip. Our boat spent it's whole life in California before we bought it so it has no on-board heat at all. We use a portable heater when we're cruising in the winter. Someday we'll install a good diesel heat system but for now it's not high on the priority list.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #48
Guru

re: Denied insurance claims - If insurance companies could refuse to pay claims because someone did something wrong or stupid, they would never pay out a cent. They pay. They might drop you later, but they must pay.

Think about it - can your car insurance company refuse to pay a claim because you drove drunk and had a accident? Because you had a bald tire?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
Curmudgeon

Well now .... $75 a pop for the oil filled space heaters or $400 - $600 for the Xtreme bilge heaters.

Will Allstate buy me a new boat if I burn this one up? I'm somewhat reluctant to call and ask, because once you're on record .....

I think I'll watch this thread a little longer before I start plunking down my cash.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
re: Denied insurance claims - If insurance companies could refuse to pay claims because someone did something wrong or stupid, they would never pay out a cent. They pay. They might drop you later, but they must pay.

Think about it - can your car insurance company refuse to pay a claim because you drove drunk and had a accident? Because you had a bald tire?
I don't know about the bald tires, but around here if you drive drunk and cause an accident, your insurance won't pay.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Well now .... $75 a pop for the oil filled space heaters or $400 - $600 for the Xtreme bilge heaters.

Will Allstate buy me a new boat if I burn this one up? I'm somewhat reluctant to call and ask, because once you're on record .....

I think I'll watch this thread a little longer before I start plunking down my cash.
Do you or do you not have a gasoline powered boat?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I don't know about the bald tires, but around here if you drive drunk and cause an accident, your insurance won't pay.
You're going to have to post some proof. My policy does not have such an exclusion.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
You're going to have to post some proof. My policy does not have such an exclusion.
You asked...

Drunk Driving: How Drinking And Driving Can Affect Your Auto Insurance | Vechicle Insurance Canada
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #54
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:

I have one of the Xtreme heaters but if I had a do-over I would go with the oil/radiator.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Very important question. Because if one has a gasoline boat I would NEVER recommend putting an electric oil heater on board, particularly not in the engine room. These things are not spark-proof. When the thermostat clicks on to turn on the heating element there is a slight flash from the housing which says to me that the unit is not spark-shielded.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #56
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Diesel. The ubiquitous FL120.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
I agree, I've read every word in my policy and it does not have an exclusion that would apply either.

And, please don't post car insurance examples, these are boats, not cars. Few people have all risk agreed value insurance on their car, they are not the same type of insurance.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #58
Guru

OK, first, that's Canada. Second, it's just an article on the Internet. It doesn't seem to come from any official source, it's just something to scare people from driving drunk (not that I believe people should drive drunk but that's another issue).

In the USA, most states require auto liability insurance. I don't believe a policy that would not pay out if the driver had been drinking would qualify under these laws, because a drinking driver would then become an uninsured motorist for all practical purposes.

Let's leave the drinking for a moment. You (and other people from time to time) seem to be saying that if the insured does something wrong, his/her insurance company does not have to pay the damages. My wife was broadsided a few years ago by a driver who ran a stop sign. His insurance paid even though he had done something wrong (and illegal) by not stopping at the stop sign.

I think you are mistaken on this.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Diesel. The ubiquitous FL120.
OK, you don't have to worry about ignition protection, sparks ignighting gasoline fumes, etc.

You still should be worried about fire safety, tip over prevention, reliability, etc. And of course, electrical heat of any type doesn't work if the power goes off.

I'm a little surprised that one of the anti marine specific product people hasn't suggested a light bulb hanging from a drop cord. That's the common el-cheapo solution.

West Marine sells an electric heater that's flat and pretty much tip proof. I bought one to use a couple years ago when my reverse cycle AC failed.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #60
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
OK, you don't have to worry about ignition protection, sparks ignighting gasoline fumes, etc.

You still should be worried about fire safety, tip over prevention, reliability, etc. And of course, electrical heat of any type doesn't work if the power goes off.

I'm a little surprised that one of the anti marine specific product people hasn't suggested a light bulb hanging from a drop cord. That's the common el-cheapo solution.

West Marine sells an electric heater that's flat and pretty much tip proof. I bought one to use a couple years ago when my reverse cycle AC failed.
Hey does it work????

Will 100 watt light bulb really keep a 1500 pound engine/tranny and another 2000 pounds of steel tanks/fuel warm????

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, framework, storage, tarp, winter