window track fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gbroughman

Vessel Name
MY Big Woody
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Alaskan
I am replacing the stainless window tracking on the sliding glass on an GB Alaskan Cruiser. I have found the stainless replacement and plastic channels as well. Does anyone have any input as to a preference? Also two of the corners are 90 degree but the back ones are like 70 and 110. How do you bend the stainless like that? Also is there any supplier of precut teak corners and rails? Thanks in advance for any help. Picture of boat to follow.

We have rebuilt all the sliding windows on our 1973 GB36. We use stainless track. It's available from Fisheries Supply here in Seattle so it's real easy for us to simply drive over and get what we need. I would not use plastic because I'm not sure how it would fare over time with UV.

The track in our windows--- top, bottom, front and rear--- are individual sections. The windows in the main cabin do not have 90 degree corners because the upper and lower sides of the windows follow the shear of the boat while the ends are vertical.

I cut the mating ends of the track sections so the join at the corners is roughly 45 degree angles. I do not bend the channel to make the corner. I'm not sure that's even possible, and I've never seen it done if it is. I determine the exact angle for the cuts at the end of each channel section by making a cardboard template of the actual window opening angle and then bisecting that to get the angle for each channel end.

If you have questions about the care and feeding of American Marine boat (Alaskan, Grand Banks, etc.) I suggest you join the Grand Banks owners forum if you have not already done so. Grand Banks Owner's Resources There are people on that forum with a wealth of knowledge about these boats. The forum founder, Bob Lowe, who once owned a boatyard here in Washington that specializes in the maintenance, repair, and restoration of Alaskan/Grand Banks boats, restored an Alaskan 45 from a piece of junk to an absolute showpiece.

The GB forum is a great place to get specific information about these boats, particularly the wood ones as there are a number of people on that forum who have woodies and who do all their own work.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried to get connected with GW woodies and am having no luck starting a new account or getting an answer back from their support. I am sure there will be more information when I get on it. In the meantime I am now not able to find where to start a new thread. I am trying to figure out where on my 1974 wood Alaskan to find the hull number. There is no name on it anywhere and I am not finding it in any obvious place on the boat. Can any one help me with this one?

I am trying to figure out where on my 1974 wood Alaskan to find the hull number. There is no name on it anywhere and I am not finding it in any obvious place on the boat. Can any one help me with this one?

The industry standard is on the upper starboard side of the transom (outside)

Except for a woodie with a varnished stern

Back
Top Bottom