Old 08-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
How about......are your shades for individual windows or a long wraparound for the front say?

Hardware to attach to the boat?

I'm thinking individual and just snaps (screw in posts as I have a ton already)...will probably take the screens off when running so salt spray shouldn't be a factor for the snaps other than residual washed in from rain.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
We presently have the long wrap around that fit under the wipers. It is a pain to take off and put on. When these are shot I want to explore using individual windows. I like the flexability that provides. We have the screw in post/snaps. Work great.

Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #23
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Our wrap-around front window cover is Textilene, IIRC a 90% mesh, black... and doesn't seem to draw in any more heat than its white solid Stamoid predecessor. The black doesn't show dirt streaks and so forth -- as much as the white Stamoid does -- from rain water run-off in between boat cleanings.

In our case, we also decided color continuity -- with the black Sunbrella enclosure panels, black Sunbrella cockpit bolsters, black-out treatments on the saloon's side windows and cockpit sliders -- made more visual sense.

-Chris
Old 08-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
How about......are your shades for individual windows or a long wraparound for the front say?

Hardware to attach to the boat?

I'm thinking individual and just snaps (screw in posts as I have a ton already)...will probably take the screens off when running so salt spray shouldn't be a factor for the snaps other than residual washed in from rain.
We did one long one to cover the 3 front windows and individual ones on the sides all using snap fasteners. Quick and easy to take off or put on. Made one for the door window as well.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #25
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Anyone make or buy see through shading material for their windows?

I am looking at Phifertex plus in the 90% reduction ....
psneeld...

I have a sailright machine and do a little canvas work... mostly for others in the marina, etc. I've made quite a few of these and the choice of shade factor & color is a variable mostly driven by personal preference. get a sample of each and try to decide whether privacy or ability to see out is the primary factor. Color also a personal decision... I have made black, white and a few colors for folks and everyone was happy - it was what they wanted
I've had both black & white on a couple of my boats and personally prefer the white but they do show dirt more than the black / dark colors.

I usually get my materials from Rockford.com and you will find some close-out mesh that is very similar to the Ptex ( a little lighter wt) and around 1/3 the cost. I've used it on many screens and life has not been an issue.

I've done them both ways - no (self) binding - if windows are rectangular or trapezoid shaped - easy to fold hem & stitch. Snaps hold OK w// 3 layers.

I also bound them wherre the shapes tend to be rounded - I've used both Stamoid (vinyl) and Sunbrella (fabric) bindings & both work OK. You will need a binding attachment to go this route. If you do I add about a 1.5 - 2.0" facing to reinforce the outside edge where snaps are.

I've had one-piece and 3 pc windshield covers and there are +/- to both... 3 pc easy to store, you can put on / remove individual sections for limited visibility - takes more snaps if not already installed.
One-pc fewer snap studs to install around the windshield, less work to make, less binding / heming.

Hope that helps

I'll bet no matter which way you go you will be pleased...
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #26
Guru

City: gulf coast
they work great in the FL sun but remember that when interior lights are on at night people outside can see in.

I measure the temp at the window before and after, there as a 15* difference at the interior of the shade when in direct sunlight.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
On Skinny Dippin' 1 I made a set of the 70% Phifertex and a set of Sunbrella for 100%. We'd put the Sunbrella on before leaving the boat for the weekend and put the Phifertex on when arriving. I did individual window covers for the front since our middle window was an opening hatch that we used a lot. I went with the beige or sand color.

Skinny Dippin' 2 will get a similar set up, but I'm thinking the grey or white color this time around.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #28
Guru

Hmmmm.still fighting the color decision...not sure the black adds enough heat to justify white...but then again...maybe white with black hem to match window frames.

Thanks for the tips and sources Baccus! And everyone else too...
Old 08-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Mine are burgundy 70%. The front cover wraps around the windshield and also covers the fwd angled pane on each side. On the port side, the fwd cover and the side cover share common posts, so those posts are longer than the others.

I find 70% to be a good compromise between light in and privacy. At night we drop the blinds for complete privacy. During the day, I can run with the shades in place, but I always remove the windshield cover. The sides can be best seen through when viewing perpendicular to the glass. When viewing at an angle, the view becomes restricted.

If I'm expecting the possibility of spray on the side windows, I remove the side panels. When they get wet, they are almost impossible to see through.

Here are some shots taken this AM near Walnut Grove.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #30
Guru

Thanks....still leaning 90% , white mesh, black trim for my druthers...

Would love a pic through the 90% mesh if anyone has one...
Old 08-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #31
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We had a cover made for our front windshield when we bought the boat. It's made from a material called Stamoid. It's like a rubberized Sunbrella material. It snaps on/off in about 2 minutes and keeps the salon a LOT cooler, plus it's real easy to hose off.

I've only driven from the lower helm twice in the 5 years we've owned the boat, once when it was too danged hot to drive from above and once in the winter when it was too cold. I leave that Stamoid cover on pretty much all the time.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
deleted
Old 08-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #33
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I find 70% to be a good compromise between light in and privacy. At night we drop the blinds for complete privacy.

No windshield privacy at night -- with lights on fill inside the saloon -- even with 90% mesh.

We have interior mini-blinds on the side windows and that solves privacy for most marina traffic. OTOH, if there's a facing dock across the fairway, we know we might be "on stage" (so to speak).

-Chris
Old 08-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
We presently have the long wrap around that fit under the wipers. It is a pain to take off and put on. When these are shot I want to explore using individual windows. I like the flexability that provides. We have the screw in post/snaps. Work great.
We have one long wrap around that fits over the wipers, snaps on, 90% blue. Pretty easy to take off and put on.

We are trying to decide between snap on exterior covers for the side windows and a UV reducing coating. We've heard some good things about the coating options, so it seems worth considering. Certainly less hassle that covers.
Drake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
White 70%. I also have a set of tan 100%.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #36

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Well with my 90% you have some visibility out but if I were to use the lower helm(which I don't) I would remove them. As far as being able to see in the saloon at night with the lights on, that is a negative, you cannot see inside the boat.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
We went with window tint. 3M has a completely clear film which reduces heat and UV by around 72%, which we used on the forward pilot house windows. You don't even know it's there until you touch the cool dash. The salon windows have the one way shaded tint which reduces sun/UV 93% yet remain easy to see out of but cannot see in. The whole boat for <$1500 with 7 year warranty. Now run one AC instead of three at the dock.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #38
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Thanks....still leaning 90% , white mesh, black trim for my druthers...

Would love a pic through the 90% mesh if anyone has one...
Here is 90% blue mesh.
Drake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #39
Guru

Thanks everyone but I went with Marks selection for the project ....."deleted"......and deleted the project from my to do list.

Just kidding... will be jumping on it next week so ordering the supplies right after a thoughtful happy hour....must be 5 o'clock somewhere...
Old 08-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We have the 90% for pilot house wndows and 70% for the salon. The 90% is a bit dark on a cloudy day but gives you privacy at night which the 70% dosen't. We went with a lite shade of tan. We're traveling but I can post some pictures When we get back.

We went with a light color because of the heat.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote