Old 01-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Paint shop recommendation please?

I have had a plan to do the coatings over on Libra since I brought her over from Europe given that the history is largely unknown to me.
This may be the time, so I am looking for recommendations in the PNW especially from those having repainted a boat, and especially in steel.
Where am I likely to find the best work at the best value between Seattle and Sydney that can haul 130,000#? (Please)
Old 01-05-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Philbrooks in Tsehum Hbr. has good reputation. I have never used them though, just going by rep. Tsehum Hbr. is just a couple miles from Sydney.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Philbrooks in Tsehum Hbr. has good reputation. I have never used them though, just going by rep. Tsehum Hbr. is just a couple miles from Sydney.
I have used Philbrook’s for emergency repairs - I hit something huge while entering Polier Pass and can’t recommend them highly enough. A lot of my friends use them - some for repair, others for periodic maintenance. When I called them shortly after impact they immediately assigned me a slip and a project manager. The PM was there shortly after I docked, was thorough about the process of discovery of damage and repair, and told me he would meet with us at the beginning and end of each day. The repairs were excellent tho not cheap. But very professional and communicative. Highly recommended.
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Libra being steel do you want her finished to a workboat standard i.e. 2 part epoxy? Or finished to a yacht standard looking like gelcoat freshly popped out of a mold? One of the big advantages to a 2 part epoxy workboat finish is that you can easily touch up the inevitable scrapes and scratches yourself.

If work boat finish is what you're wanting then look at the yards that service the fishing fleet.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Bill, sorry I can't be of help with the info you're looking for, but I would ask that you take photos of her on the hard. That is one of the prettiest designs I think I've ever seen and would love to see her on the hard.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Sorry I can’t help either since we did our own paint job.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Bill, sorry I can't be of help with the info you're looking for, but I would ask that you take photos of her on the hard. That is one of the prettiest designs I think I've ever seen and would love to see her on the hard.
Thanks neighbor,
A lot of this boat is below the water line. Here are a few pics that reveal her bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Libra in the sling.jpg   Cradled 1.jpg   Libra flying 2.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Bill, I have seen Libra on G dock in Bellingham. I always think to myself.....'That's salty'!

Philbrooks has a good reputation. Another possibility is Platypus Marine in Port Angeles. I talked to them at lenth when I had my boat painted. SeaView in Bellingham painted mine with Alexseal but I know steel is a different cat.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Bill, I have seen Libra on G dock in Bellingham. I always think to myself.....'That's salty'!

Philbrooks has a good reputation. Another possibility is Platypus Marine in Port Angeles. I talked to them at lenth when I had my boat painted. SeaView in Bellingham painted mine with Alexseal but I know steel is a different cat.
Thanks Ken, Portage Bay, and others,
I think Portage Bays questions and comments made here and via PM are spot on. Klee Wyck is yacht finished with a multi coat Awlgrip and unbelievably fare. It is beautiful and fits her more yacht like bones.
Libra has more workboat like lines and I am not sure she would look great in a finish like Alexseal or Awgrip even though Klee Wyck is living proof that it can be done and done well on steel perhaps even more so than FRP.

It has a look right now that is fine with me. I like it. I suspect this is done in an Akzo paint or similar. A little flatter and likely easier to touch up.

Philbrooks has responded already and will prepare a rough quote based on some photos and conversation. I have been in both Seaview Yards (North and West) for coating work. Very nice work but very painful when time to settle. Would like one other yard, perhaps a workboat yard, to get a quote from. It is a lot of steel to cover, decks included.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #10
Guru

Someone asked me in a PM about the Euro equipment on this boat. I could not post a picture of the windlass in the PM mode so I am dropping it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Libra windlass.jpg  
Old 01-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
Someone asked me in a PM about the Euro equipment on this boat. I could not post a picture of the windlass in the PM mode so I am dropping it here.
Look at that handle. What is that? The brake handle? I've never seen a setup like that. That looks like the sort of thing Willy Wonka would turn to fire up the Chocolate Waterfall. I love it.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote