Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Guru

window leaks

I am in south florida (hollywood ) and would like to find somebody who can take care of the leaks in several of my windows. Any suggestions?

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #2

City: pittsfield, nh
try capt tolleys creeping crack cure. Sold at a lot of places.
learn more at Captain - Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure Hairline Crack Sealer 603-435-7199-

pauloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloman View Post
try capt tolleys creeping crack cure. Sold at a lot of places.
learn more at Captain - Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure Hairline Crack Sealer 603-435-7199-
As one data point for you, I tried this not long after we bought the boat and was very unimpressed with it. I wasn't using on a window leak but on something else that it was supposed to be ideal for. It wasn't and I've never bothered with it again.

I think window leaks are best fixed by truly fixing the problem, which usually involves rebedding the window if it's a simple one-piece sort of deal or dismantling and overhauling it if it's a built-up window like the ones on a Grand Banks.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I am in south florida (hollywood ) and would like to find somebody who can take care of the leaks in several of my windows. Any suggestions?
For windows there, your man is Vinny O'Connor of Splash Marine. Accept no substitute. Windows R Him.

954 471 2997
better yet: cell: 561 860 1232
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Guru

Mine are aluminum framed windows Thanks guys
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
From any glass shop, get some butyl tape. Pull the window out (it will have a flange on the outside that rests against the cabin side, and a removable flange on the inside that when you do up the screws, pulls the whole unit tight) apply the tape all the way around and replace. The tape will come on a roll, wound with a plastic cover. leave the plastic cover on with a corner turned up so you can grab it. When in place, pull the plastic off and press the window agaianst the wall. The tape will adhere to both the window and the wall. No mess. Do up the screws and be leak free.
When my last boat was for sale, all but one of its windows needed this, 12 years old at the time.
YMMV
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #7

City: Paynters Bay
Vessel Name: Therapi-Too
Vessel Model: 1987 Chris-Craft 381
Great topic. I need advice and direction regarding windows. All my windows need the channel replaced. They are sliding windows, vintage 1987 found on a CC 350/381. It would appear that the units are standalone, attached to the hull with numerous screws and complete units. How do you remove the glass is the issue.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

City: pittsfield, nh
The capt tolleys works very well on hairline cracks in gel coat. regular paints and epoxies just bridge those tiny cracks and they reappear when the air or water in the crack expands due to temperature changes. With hairline cracks you need to sand them away or fill them up. - Capt tolleys looks like watered down elmers glue with somethng added to reduce surface tension so it 'sucks itself' into tiny cracks.

On the windows of an old sailboat I had, I painted around the frames (very carefully) with several coats of spar varnish, until the leaks stopped.
pauloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Mine are aluminum framed windows Thanks guys
I suspected as much by looking at your boat, which is exactly why I recommended who I did.

Merely rebedding the glass in aluminum frames is often not the solution. The frames themselves may need to be pulled and reconditioned (or replaced) and properly rebedded.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Merely rebedding the glass in aluminum frames is often not the solution. The frames themselves may need to be pulled and reconditioned (or replaced) and properly rebedded.
Aluminum windows in a previous boat needed work. The metal degrades, even perforates,felt slides wear out, catches fail, glass gets damaged, ss screws react with the frame. Replacement may cheaper and better than remove/repair/refitting. I was surprised how inexpensive made to order replacements were. If doing this, make accurate templates in cardboard.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
FF
Guru

The most common failure is usually from the frame to the boat, not the window itself .

As newer stuff is simply sealed with a tape mastic , most of the hard part is figuring out how and where the attachments are hidden.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Aluminum windows in a previous boat needed work. The metal degrades, even perforates,felt slides wear out, catches fail, glass gets damaged, ss screws react with the frame. Replacement may cheaper and better than remove/repair/refitting. I was surprised how inexpensive made to order replacements were. If doing this, make accurate templates in cardboard.
Just replaced 16 windows for $3600 with shipping. 3 sliders, 3 top hinged and the rest were fixed.

Impossible for me to "repair" as EVERY original fixed window at least cracked no matter hoe careful I was and almost every interior and exterior frame broke/cracked at some point no matter how careful I was. My guess is many of the windows were re-bedded at some point with adhesive that glued the glass to the frames.

The real horror story for some if their interior teak is in good shape, the interior frames ripped most of the teak veneer away in large strips..... I wasn't too worried as I knew a total interior refinish was in the cards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo619.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	14721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo640.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	14722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo642.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	14723  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: Pensacola
Psneeld,

Who did you use to buy the windows?
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Psneeld,

Me too - some of your pics look disturbingly familiar.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #15

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I messed with my leaky windows. Here's what I learned.
1) Trying to rebuild the old ones is a losing battle.
2) My leaks could all be fixed without removing the windows by running a bead of latex caulk in the frame/cabin crevice.
3) The emergency dam to direct the water back out, while effective was totally unnecessary.
Keep in mind if you read the blog, that there is no wood in the cabin sides of my boat so rot is not an issue. Also that family time aboard is what the boat is all about - Big Duck's beauty is in her character and utility.
One More Time Around: Land N Sea Windows - Part I
One More Time Around: Land N Sea Windows - Part 2
One More Time Around: Land N Sea Windows - Part 3
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #16

Jeffnick: One hell of a job, but likely what I will face. I have six which require treatment. But you success was due to your tenacity. Bill.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Psneeld,

Close by to you...

Wynne Enterprises Inc.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Guru

City: Pensacola
Thank you
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Guru

All aluminum frames are not created equal, and what might be ok on an RV or freshwater boat can be short lived in a salt water environment. Since the way frames and windows are mounted in different boats varies greatly, I'd be cautious about taking one person's experience as a guideline for what you need to do or can get away with.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #20

Greetings: I agree, but the more talk the more shared information. I replaced all my windows on my previous boat, used Beclawat mfg in Canada. They were clamp on, and worked very well. The only fault was that I specified black, and let me tell you the heat/cold expansion/contraction issue was a real problem.
The current issue deals with just how without going back to a mfg do you do normal almost routine maintenance. Simple things??, like replacing the channels. Jeffnick's post showed the potential problems, but surely there is a better way to undertake this problem, and we all face it with sliding windows, screens or no screens. Looking at the windows I am wondering if the frames are in fact not joined at some location. The Beclawat windows were and if so perhaps once the window is removed you are able to open the frame and extract the glass and replace the channel. Re installing would bring the frame back to its orginal shape with a dob of caulking at the joint make it water tight.
The windows on all boats start out dry. I remember a major maker, Post I believe, who warrented windows against leaking. HA!!, can never happen given the movement of hulls, heat/cold issues and generally poor manufacturing, or installation on Friday/Monday.
The aluminum issue is real, but to day most marine items are made of metal mixes which have a long salt water life. Look at the west coast and the number of aluminum hulls. One thing for sure, the expansion/contraction issue is eleminated.
I am also going to ask the Passage Maker geru, Steve D'Antonio, his take on the issue. Bill.