Window leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
My aft salon window seal leaks and need to know how to repair it. The fixed window has a very thick rubber seal that I presume needs to be removed and then the window sealed with*caulk. How do I remove the rubber seal without damaging it if that's possible.Thanks guys,
Tim

There are a couple of types. One type seals with a rubber "rope" that's inserted after the glass is in place. You can just find the end of this and pry the end out, then pull the entire circumference out. You'll need a special tool to put it back though. The other type sort of "tucks" into a slot. You pull this little flap out at one spot then work it out all the way around. Silicon spray is necessary to put either of these back together. If you're not comfortable with either of these, get an auto glass guy from your local glass company to come out and help. You can see some examples at:
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showLine/default.aspx?GroupID=19783&History=19748

Thanks Keith, I hadn't thought of a auto glass shop. I'll work with it some this weekend and see what I come up with. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Yea, you can use that, but you don't know if it'll react with the elastomer. Silicone will never hurt.

I'll get some silicon spray. But I'm not sure I understand. Do you spray the rubber seal before attempting to remove it? Does that make it easier to remove?

I simply use dish detergent (Joy) and water to do motor coach glass.

Loads easier to clean up & off, than any spray grease.

The Silicone is great for windows that slide , sprayed in the track.

You use the silicone (or soap) to lube the rubber to put it back together. You'll figure it out when you put stuff back together. Not necessary to disassemble.

The lube is needed to soften BEFORE disassembly, basically it will help the rubber become more workable and pliable. If you are only replacing the rubber spline it probably is not needed.

If it's just the single glass, not sliding or opening, I found it was cheap to replace anyway. Sure easier to work with new rubber than the old stuff that's been in there for a number of years.
Larry

Back
Top Bottom