Window Frame Painting 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Have some small chips (down to bare wood) and cracking on the exterior frames of my salon windows. Previously painted with Petit 100 gloss White Marine enamel. Is the appropriate approach to give them a good scraping to get any loose paint off, sand, prime and repaint the entire frame? Just the areas affected? Strip down to wood and begin again? Just not sure how far I need to go as the majority of the finish looks nice and sound.

Have some small chips (down to bare wood) and cracking on the exterior frames of my salon windows. Previously painted with Petit 100 gloss White Marine enamel. Is the appropriate approach to give them a good scraping to get any loose paint off, sand, prime and repaint the entire frame? Just the areas affected? Strip down to wood and begin again? Just not sure how far I need to go as the majority of the finish looks nice and sound.
Beware this is my own opinion and may differ from others :)
I would sand the frame to get a smooth finish than primer and repaint. Sanding will not damaged the frame but will remove any peeling paint.
Do you love sanding? :)

L

Sanding is my life. I would rather die than to live without sanding. Or not.... So just sand it all to smooth out the chip areas, don't worry about going to bare wood, then prime and paint? Anything is better than going to bare wood.

Last edited:
Sanding is my life. I would rather die than to live without sanding. Or not.... So just sand it all to smooth out the chip areas, don't worry about going to bare wood, then prime and paint? Anything is better than going to bare wood.
If it was me this is what I would do :)

L

Back
Top Bottom