window caulk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slowboat 37

I'm in the process of removing the black caulking around the teak window frames and other places where wood meets gelcoat. It has run it's course of useful life. My mate ask if there is some other color that people use, I said I would ask those who would know just to show flexibility in these decisions. I am fine with black as it matches the seams in the deck and I think anything light in color would discolor with time. I think boat life is the brand on now but I could be wrong.

Greetings,
We are re-painting and as a result re-caulking. Where white meets teak/chrome/stainless we're using 3M 4000 (white). Where dark blue (accent color) meets teak/chrome/stainless, we're using 3M 4000 (black). Where glass meets teak, Lexel (clear). We're using Dolfinite for re-bedding. I really, really don't like BoatLife and although I swore I would NEVER use silicone, I am considering using it OR 3M 5200 (gasp) to attach some pulls to the sliding glass windows. I'll probably try 5200 and silicone as a very last resort.

I'm in the process of removing the black caulking around the teak window frames and other places where wood meets gelcoat. It has run it's course of useful life. My mate ask if there is some other color that people use, I said I would ask those who would know just to show flexibility in these decisions. I am fine with black as it matches the seams in the deck and I think anything light in color would discolor with time. I think boat life is the brand on now but I could be wrong.
Boatlife, a.k.a. rocket fuel, lasts 20 years in the seams of teak decks and comes in different colors. There is another formulation called Lifecaulk that I don't like as much but neither will discolor over time. Both stay flexible, but most importantly don't oxidize and create black streaks.

Greetings,
We are re-painting and as a result re-caulking. Where white meets teak/chrome/stainless we're using 3M 4000 (white). Where dark blue (accent color) meets teak/chrome/stainless, we're using 3M 4000 (black). Where glass meets teak, Lexel (clear). We're using Dolfinite for re-bedding. I really, really don't like BoatLife and although I swore I would NEVER use silicone, I am considering using it OR 3M 5200 (gasp) to attach some pulls to the sliding glass windows. I'll probably try 5200 and silicone as a very last resort.

Mr RT, did you consider butyl tape for bedding and, if so, why did you decide to go with Dolfinite?

Greetings,
Mr 99. I only considered butyl tape after the fact. I've never used the stuff and I've had good results with Dolfinite in the past. I would not be adverse to using the tape but I'm old fashioned anal and I'll finish what I started with. I've heard glowing reports of the tape and I DO think it is a viable alternative to what I'm using. The problems I've encountered with the Dolfinite is that it "oozes" for some time after application and it's really messy to apply if using a putty knife. Even the dog has some attached to his various parts.
What I've done is buy some really cheap caulk (about $2/tube) cleaned out the plastic tubes, discarding the caulk and filled the tubes with Dolfinite. Makes for a much more controlled and less messy application and the dog is happier and less sticky. Good for laying a bead along behind a piece of molding or pre-filling screw/bolt holes if you cut the nozzle small enough.
By all means, use the tape. I can see several advantages (mess-wise) over the Dolfinite AND much less mess than other "tubed" caulks.

Thanks, Mr RT. Keeping the dog happy on the water is pretty important.

Apologies to the OP for the slight detour. I'm all ears about what others are using for window caulk.

I used Silaflex onine I think it was their 291. It has been holding up fine after 7 years and hasn't faded

I haven't tackled the job yet, but when I do, I'll use butyl tape which is gray in color. I bought a couple of rolls a few years ago and have been using it on other misc rebedding projects around the boat. It's easy to work with and has a reputation for lasting a long time.

On the advice of the shipwrights on the Grand Banks owner forum, we bed our wood window frames (white painted mahogany) to the fiberglass cabin sides using white Dolfinite. The big advantage of Dofllinite is that it is not an adhesive. The frames are held in place by a whole bunch of screws, so an adhesive bedding is not necesary.

Using Dolfinite means the frame is easily removed in the future if a glass pane should get cracked or broken and need replaceing. I've removed frames held on with 4200, 5200, Sikaflex, Lifecaulk and silicone and it is invariably a huge pain the ass, particlary with 5200, and can even result in a cracked or broken wood frame.

Dolfinite comes in white or tan.

Last edited:
Slowboat37 I have the same boat and am doing the same window project. What caulk did you end up using?

We removed and resealed several pilot house windows this summer. We used butyl tape and I'm very happy. We used it exclusively for deckfittings on our sailboat. It is easy to work with and easy to clean up. When we reinstalled, extra butyl does squeeze out. I let it sit for a few days in the sun, retighten the screws, then remove it with a plastic razorblade.

Slowboat37 I have the same boat and am doing the same window project. What caulk did you end up using?

We used Sikaflex 291 fast cure adhesive and sealant. This was for replacing the caulk around the teak window frames not re-bedding them. I cleaned out the old tired caulk with a hooked blade that fits into the standard box knife handle then cleaned off the residue with denatured alcohol. Masked, then applied the new caulk ( from a tube in a caulking gun) It's tacky in about an hour but that depends on the temp. at the time. This product was recommended by a neighbor that lives on his wood boat and has tried many things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom