When to Patch when to replace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mplangley

Veteran Member
My fairly recently acquired 1972 grand banks 32 has some rot in the fabled areas on the port side. I think this must have been the weather side or something because the starbord is very good by comparison.

The rot is on a portion of the flybridge where the seats meet the flybridge wall. This is about a 1X1 foot area with a few smaller areas along they bottom seal of the flybridge wall.

The other area that is rotting is about a 1X2 foot aread under the window.

I am tempted just to scarf cut the sections out and scarf in some plywood and be done with it. It may be a bit ugly from the inside but the window section would be hidden behind the cabin settee anyway unless the top bunk was latched into place.

So the question is - with rot. When is it ok just to patch and when do I just need to bite the bullet and replace the entire side of both the cabin and the flybridge. It seems a shame to have to go through so much work for the sake of these small areas.

thanks

If you scarf the patches in and lap the joints it usually works quite well. I seal the edges of the joints with epoxy prior to installation.

Or remove the flybridge completely like we did! Take a look at the Transformation Continues thread and you will see what we have been doing.

If you scarf the patches in and lap the joints it usually works quite well. I seal the edges of the joints with epoxy prior to installation.

Or remove the flybridge completely like we did! Take a look at the Transformation Continues thread and you will see what we have been doing.

Thanks Bob. I have been admiring your beautiful boat on the Transformation Continues and other threads. By the way Im wondering about your color scheme. I really like the gunwale color.

As for "scarfing" in plywood - do you have any recommendations as to technique. I was planning on just trying to be as precise as possible and attempt to make a real scarf joint in place. I have done it in the shop but never on a vertical surface like the pilot house.

Also do you have a thread showing how you did the flybridge rebuild?

Not highly stressed areas? Paint finish? You could probably do with butt joints. You could reinforce the joints with either dowels or laid-in scraps of wood. You could use back-up blocks, and regain all the strength. Of course, epoxied with structural fillers, epoxy-coated end grain. Since doweling accurately would be an exercise in blue-tinged frustration, drill oversized holes and set the dowels in filled epoxy.

Scarpfs could be cut with a chisel and/or plane. A rabbet plane would be particularly handy since it would enable you to get to the edge/corner. You'd have to back-up the feather edge of the scarpf, on both the boat and the patch, with a temporary block while planing to keep it from collapsing.

With room to work, you could make up a jig to guide a router along the intended incline of the scarph. Additionally, West System's Gougeon brothers would be happy to sell you, or tell you how to make, a setup for cutting scarphs using a circular saw.

I restyled part of the interior of our previously-owned '72 Morgan 27 sailboat. The place was Teak-flavored-Melamine-faced plywood and not stressed. I simply butt-joined the pieces with epoxy. Another place on that boat's interior was the same sort of plywood tabbed to an ever-wet bilge/sole (same thing in this little raceboat). I removed the piece, the settee front, dried it, dug off the rot, coated it in epoxy, tabbed it back in and filled with epoxy and fairing filler. Trouble free. I painted all the Melamine surfaces and varnished the Teak trim so the interior had that Herreschoff look.

Back
Top Bottom