What's in the keel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug H

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any idea what might be inside the keel of my DeFever 41? It seems to be pretty solid, but when I removed some screws from the top of the keel to take out an old bilge pump, water came out. If there is water in there, should I be trying to drain it out before freezing weather?

yes don't let it freeze. Try using wire to judge how deep the cavity is. Water might have come in via the same screw you removed.

If it were me I would cut an opening and fit a small water tight inspection port and suck out the water with a shop vac. Use the new port to watch for water in future. Make sure no more screws penetrate or are not very well sealed.

My Albin has a cement filled keel.
It had water in it I bought the boat and the surveyor did not find it.
It was late fall when I bought it so the boat stayed on the hard at the marina where the PO had kept it for many years.
It was not until the spring that I discovered it dripping water out of a small "crack" in the gelcoat. The only way I could get to stop leaking and fix the area was to drill and tap for a pipe plug so the water would drip/ooze out thru the hole. It was still oozing out at launch time so I used a flush brass plug in the hole.
Every fall I remove the plug and let anything remaining ooze out. It took 4 winters of that until water no longer oozed out.
I DID find the source of the intrusion the first spring. There was a bilge pump (looked oem to me) that was screwed into the bilge and water was leaking thru one or more of those holes. I glassed up all the holes and mounted a new pump a different way so I wouldn't have to breech the keel.

Last edited:
Doug, I suggest posting the question on the DeFever Cruiser's forum. Many folks there with technical knowledge of builds on various models/years/yards. It will cost $20 to join but worth it if you have a DF. You may also repost, or ask the moderators to move your post, on the Defever sub forum.

Back
Top Bottom