Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Propnut's Avatar
 
City: Goldsboro NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Wave Walker
Vessel Model: 41' PT Europa
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 40
What size sanitation hose

I'm installing a new Fresh water Raritan Elegance head. The install manual says to use 1" or 1.5" discharge hose . The fitting that came on the head is 1.5" then reduced to 1" so you can use either size line.I've always used 1.5" sanitization hose, but I've read there are some advantages to using to 1" . Even if I use 1.5" , the waste still has to go thru the 1" reducer on the discharge.It's a 8' run , part of which is level and part slightly downhill . Any thoughts or suggestions? I've decided not to use PVC Pipe in favor or having just a connection at the head and holding tank.
__________________
Advertisement

Propnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Guru
 
City: East Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,411
What are the supposed advantages to a smaller discharge hose?
__________________

WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,766
It seems to me that it would take a lot more to accidentally plug an 1.5" pipe.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member
 
Propnut's Avatar
 
City: Goldsboro NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Wave Walker
Vessel Model: 41' PT Europa
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 40
Easier to bend, less water to clear the line and the faster flow during discharge helps prevent hard buildup in the line.
Propnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,293
My discharge hose is 1" from the Jabsco head to the Lectrasan, that hose never clogs up.
What can clog is the bowl, IMO, it is too small an opening. A modern toilet has a much larger opening. Right now my head is plugged, do people plunge these?

I have a red flat plunger will try it. Only other idea is suck it out with a wet vac.

It is electric, and If i run it again, it will overflow.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,547
I have.been using.1 inch hose for years.
The advantage is flow rate to keep it clear.
If the.toilet macerates, a 1.inch dischage line.should.be no.issue...
My longest 1.inch run is just shy of.12 feet.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 738
Headmistress will tell you just let the clog to sit. It will eventually turn to liquid. That's unless something went down that shouldn't be there.
__________________
-------------------------
Terry
Meridian
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
My discharge hose is 1" from the Jabsco head to the Lectrasan, that hose never clogs up.
What can clog is the bowl, IMO, it is too small an opening. A modern toilet has a much larger opening. Right now my head is plugged, do people plunge these?

I have a red flat plunger will try it. Only other idea is suck it out with a wet vac.

It is electric, and If i run it again, it will overflow.

If the vent is clogged, fix that first.

If the tank is not full... chill for a while. OTOH, if the tank is full, you need to fix that first. Pump out now, you'll thank yourself later.

Else it might be something about the discharge hose. We just had a hard clog -- to the point where I got a plumber's snake stuck in it -- and the solution was Sew Clean. Well, actually, what I had on hand was Barnacle Buster concentrate, but the company (Trac) said I could use that, dilute to 5:1 as per Sew Clean instructions. (Peggie says Raritan also private labels SC as CH, aka Cleans Hoses.)

Worked like a champ. The clog was likely uric acid crystals, aka struvites. Look for a recent thread about VacuFlush cleaning, where Peggie describes all that. She posted some pics of hose with scale build-up... probably what we were dealing with.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #9
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut View Post
I'm installing a new Fresh water Raritan Elegance head. The install manual says to use 1" or 1.5" discharge hose . The fitting that came on the head is 1.5" then reduced to 1" so you can use either size line.I've always used 1.5" sanitization hose, but I've read there are some advantages to using to 1" . Even if I use 1.5" , the waste still has to go thru the 1" reducer on the discharge.It's a 8' run , part of which is level and part slightly downhill . Any thoughts or suggestions? I've decided not to use PVC Pipe in favor or having just a connection at the head and holding tank.
FWIW, our toilet discharge is 1" and there's an adapter to make it fit 1" hose. That said, our builder used 1" hose from the toilet (an upward loop and then down) to underneath the head sole, then a straight hose-to-hose coupler to increase the 1" hose to 1" hose.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: East Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
My discharge hose is 1" from the Jabsco head to the Lectrasan, that hose never clogs up.
What can clog is the bowl, IMO, it is too small an opening. A modern toilet has a much larger opening. Right now my head is plugged, do people plunge these?

I have a red flat plunger will try it. Only other idea is suck it out with a wet vac.

It is electric, and If i run it again, it will overflow.
A marine head looks like a household head from the outside but it is not on the inside. Don't try to plunge it.

As for the OP, if the instructions say 1" is OK, you can use 1" if you like. You mention the discharge. Are you discharging directly overboard or into a holding tank? My (manual) head has a 1 1/2" hose from the head to the tank and from the tank to the macerator pump, but a 1" hose from the pump to the thru hull. At that point, the poop has been ground to a slurry.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,412
I think the toilet is designed to work best with the 1" hose as less water is needed to clear the hose. They give you the option to use 1-1/2 because a lot of boats already have 1-1/2 installed. If you use 1-1/2 I think you're supposed to saw off the 1" end.

I recommend you call Raritan Ft. Lauderdale and talk to Mac McCoy. He's my go to guy there.
__________________
Parks Masterson
www.hopkins-carter.com
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If the vent is clogged, fix that first.

If the tank is not full... chill for a while. OTOH, if the tank is full, you need to fix that first. Pump out now, you'll thank yourself later.

Else it might be something about the discharge hose. We just had a hard clog -- to the point where I got a plumber's snake stuck in it -- and the solution was Sew Clean. Well, actually, what I had on hand was Barnacle Buster concentrate, but the company (Trac) said I could use that, dilute to 5:1 as per Sew Clean instructions. (Peggie says Raritan also private labels SC as CH, aka Cleans Hoses.)

Worked like a champ. The clog was likely uric acid crystals, aka struvites. Look for a recent thread about VacuFlush cleaning, where Peggie describes all that. She posted some pics of hose with scale build-up... probably what we were dealing with.

-Chris
The stuff could not fit through the head's entry hole.
I have let it sit for a few days.
It is an Jabsco electric head with a macerator.
I can close the intake through hull and run it again and see if it goes down.

With this style head, a plunger I think will help, at least stir up and loosen the muck. I can also plug up my house toilets sometimes.

The new house toilets have large holes for the stuff to pass through with little water flow.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
The stuff could not fit through the head's entry hole.
I have let it sit for a few days.
It is an Jabsco electric head with a macerator.
I can close the intake through hull and run it again and see if it goes down.

With this style head, a plunger I think will help, at least stir up and loosen the muck. I can also plug up my house toilets sometimes.

The new house toilets have large holes for the stuff to pass through with little water flow.
BTDT. Yes you are on the right track by closing the seawater intake. The joker valve clogs. Try both short jogs and long runs. Let it sit a while and repeat. WHEN it finally starts to pump down, open the seawater inlet.
I had 2 of these heads. I replaced the one furthest away from the holding tank with a manual Raritan PHC for diversity. The Jabsco works fine on the short run (5' from holding tank) if I make the flush one long, continuous flush. Sometimes some anxiety as level comes up before eventually going down.
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
City: Wherever the boat is
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 456
I put 1.5" before I put this head in. this head has a 1" discharge. i'm not sure you could make the argument around clogging. i'd go with 1" in hindsight.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
Guru
 
DHeckrotte's Avatar
 
City: Philadelphia, PA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 783
I used 1" for my Raritan Marine Elegance. Plenty good enough for the slurry that that device produces. I bought the sea-fresh switch-pump etc, but have never used the sea; I use the boat's potable water.

Interestingly, the 1" hose seems perfectly willing to pull the newly-refilled clean water from the bowl, after a flush - gravity! (I do not have a vented loop since the Elegance pumps to a holding tank and use a deck plate to pump-out.)

I used 1 1/2" on my previous boat's Raritan PH II. I used raw water for the flush and the salt that caked inside the hose broke loose and plugged the hose (after about 5 years). Not satisfactory!
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #16
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
The stuff could not fit through the head's entry hole.
I have let it sit for a few days.
It is an Jabsco electric head with a macerator.
I can close the intake through hull and run it again and see if it goes down.

With this style head, a plunger I think will help, at least stir up and loosen the muck. I can also plug up my house toilets sometimes.

Entry hole?

Yes, closing the intake should help. Once you get the bowl clear, that would help inject a solution like Sew Clean if the problem is that the discharge hose is clogged with scale.

(Ours, which had been working fine, apparently dried out while I had the system open for a few days doing other stuff, and that's what caused the scale or whatever to harden, serious clog. Before using the SC stuff, we apparently had just enough of a pathway through that water in the bowl would eventually siphon itself through the hose and into the holding tank.)

If you really have to do any take-it-apart service, you'll appreciate having pumped out/rinsed/repeated in advance.

Under normal circumstances, the macerator should be able to break up any solids... so that it's mostly a liquid going out through the discharge hose. If you have something in there that isn't turning to liquid or is otherwize blocking the macerator blade (wet wipe? etc.?), a plunger may or may not help dislodge that enough to capture it.

A plunger may be hard on the joker valve. Using it to "push" may be OK, but using it to "pull" may invert the joker valve permanently... Just a guess, though...

I was thinking of these threads, mis-remembering that they're actually two separate threads. In any case, see the especially the second thread, Peggie's post #26 which illustrates the clog:

Vacuflush Blowing Fuse
Muriatic Acid to clean toilet


-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
City: Chocowinity
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cold Duck
Vessel Model: 1996 Shannon Voyager
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 39
Iinstalled a Marine Elegance with a 1' inch discharge A year ago and used it every day for 6 months.

1" inch is fine.

Bill R.
Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #18
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Entry hole?

Yes, closing the intake should help. Once you get the bowl clear, that would help inject a solution like Sew Clean if the problem is that the discharge hose is clogged with scale.

(Ours, which had been working fine, apparently dried out while I had the system open for a few days doing other stuff, and that's what caused the scale or whatever to harden, serious clog. Before using the SC stuff, we apparently had just enough of a pathway through that water in the bowl would eventually siphon itself through the hose and into the holding tank.)

If you really have to do any take-it-apart service, you'll appreciate having pumped out/rinsed/repeated in advance.

Under normal circumstances, the macerator should be able to break up any solids... so that it's mostly a liquid going out through the discharge hose. If you have something in there that isn't turning to liquid or is otherwize blocking the macerator blade (wet wipe? etc.?), a plunger may or may not help dislodge that enough to capture it.

A plunger may be hard on the joker valve. Using it to "push" may be OK, but using it to "pull" may invert the joker valve permanently... Just a guess, though...

I was thinking of these threads, mis-remembering that they're actually two separate threads. In any case, see the especially the second thread, Peggie's post #26 which illustrates the clog:

Vacuflush Blowing Fuse
Muriatic Acid to clean toilet


-Chris
After sitting for days, it still would not clear the bowl.

Found out some toilet paper had enhanced the clog ability. Used a screw driver to poke and pulled out some then it went down.

I tried the rubber plunger, and it did not help, actually caused a bit of a mess onto the floor.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
After sitting for days, it still would not clear the bowl.

Found out some toilet paper had enhanced the clog ability. Used a screw driver to poke and pulled out some then it went down.

I tried the rubber plunger, and it did not help, actually caused a bit of a mess onto the floor.

Think I'd try dipping the bowl, then seeing if you can get some Sew Clean into the lines. If it works, that might be the easiest alternative to removing lines and pounding out any scale build-up. If that's what the clog is. (If SC works, that would maybe reinforce the guess that your clog is about scale).

And all that also assumes you holding tank is empty and the vent is working...

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #20
Guru
 
foggysail's Avatar
 
City: Ashland, MA
Country: United States
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 569
I would be concerned using a 1" hose only if the head was a salt water flush. Salt and other raw water junk easily plugged my old sailboat's lines and they wire either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2".

My fresh water flush Elegance uses a 4' length of 1" hose and connects to a 1 1/2" PVC no-stink pipe. Things have been just fine since I installed it some 4-5 years ago.
__________________

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012