Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > General Maintenance

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
I discovered in my singlehander sailing days that soap attracts birds. After a 14 day passage no birds would come near me until they could smell soap.
Either that, or you have fastidious seagulls repelled by body odor.

Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
What about vertical screens?

I was thinking that I never see birds in boat cockpit areas. I am assuming it is because the birds do not have good 360 degree visability in that type of area. I am wondering if a 18 inch high screen around the perimeter of any flat surface would keep the birds away from those spaces? Wondering if I put fabric screens on the forward railings if that would keep the birds off those forward areas? Has anyone else noted that birds do not seem to hang out in areas with limited visiblity?

Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #43

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Duvie, interesting idea. You could try it by cutting up a cheap blue tarp before you invest in nice Sunbrella screens.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #44
Veteran Member
City: Spruce Head
Vessel Model: Sabreline 36
plastic owl

Originally Posted by venture View Post
Get great big plastic owl... all the boats have them here in the uk.... seems to work!
We have a plastic owl and it worked to keep the hawks away but it invites the gulls to a party.
Worked 4 hours one day to get the major guano of the boat and now ready for another several hours. The bimini is covered and we don't know how to get it off since the bimini is over the fly bridge and too high to reach even with a long handled brush.
My husband is going to try oxalic acid today. We have the suggestion that we try On/Off but to be very, very careful to wash it off quickly on anything that it touches. We also have the suggest to try mylar streamers that people use in their gardens to keep birds away. In my desperation I bought several child's windmills and duct taped them to the boat. My husband it going to the boat today (it is over an hour away in Rockland Harbor. I will let you know what happens today.
Halls Point
Spruce Head
TT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #45
City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
A grocery store bag that makes crinkle noise hung from an antenna. Cheap easy and kind of ugly. Works for a few months for seagulls. Not so much with Osperys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	44632  
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #46
City: kemah
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
A quick look on the internet uncovered a device called the GullSweep, which is what I believe the device I described was. Gullsweep, the finest bird deterrent for boats

Don't know if this is similar to the Gull Wing you mentioned.

The boat in our marina is a 38' Bayliner and the flying bridge enclosure looks more or less like yours. The sweep extended out beyond the sides of the enclosure top but not the ends.
One of the owners on my pier has one of those on his bow. It's the only boat that doesnt have bird sh,,,, on it.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote