Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
What Is It?

I found this lying in the bilge, halfway between the front of the engine and the bulkhead. It's about two inches long and broken off on the end away from the nut. The shaft is about 1/8" in diameter and the nut is probably 3/8". Or, it could be metric, I didn't check.

The boat is a trawler with a single Volvo TAMD 41P engine.
Attached Thumbnails
boat 009.jpg  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
99,9% certainty is not a part of Volvo Penta original. You need to try to look at possibly empty holes in the engine room equipment installations.

Unfortunately, I can not help you any more
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Do you have any kind of hatch pulls on the hatches to your engine space?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have those engines. I don't have any chrome plated or stainless crown nuts on my engines. Any Brass or bronze bolts are only in the Heat exchangers, maybe the aftercooler, but definitely not the block.
That doesn't mean this one wasn't added to yours by a PO, just reduces the likelihood that this part came from your engine.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Guru

After leaving the boat, it occurred to me that this might have come from the alternator. I'll be prepared to do a lot of exploring the next time I go back.

I have hatch pulls but they are screwed, not bolted.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
It looks like a main bolt for a small electric motor, holding the end caps together to sandwich the motor housing. It would be an older unit as newer motors tend to have threads machined into one of the two end caps.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. WK. The fact that one end is terminated in a chromed acorn nut with a non metallic washer suggests that at one time it was meant to hold down a fitting/panel that did not need to be very tightly torqued down and was in a visible area.
The missing end could have been simply threaded or terminated in a "head" of some sort (flat head, round head, hex head). Very unlikely that it was part of your engine...MY best guess.

As far as being stainless. Just doesn't look like it to me (wrong color).
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. WK. The fact that one end is terminated in a chromed acorn nut with a non metallic washer suggests that at one time it was meant to hold down a fitting/panel that did not need to be very tightly torqued down and was in a visible area.
The missing end could have been simply threaded or terminated in a "head" of some sort (flat head, round head, hex head). Very unlikely that it was part of your engine...MY best guess.
The valve covers on the engine have similar cap nuts but of course, being a Volvo, they are painted green. Also, none are missing.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
It looks like a main bolt for a small electric motor, holding the end caps together to sandwich the motor housing. It would be an older unit as newer motors tend to have threads machined into one of the two end caps.
I remember something similar on a macerator pump I once repaired. As I mentioned, I am hoping to find it's off the alternator which is pretty similar to a motor.

And of course, it's possible that it's been floating around for years and just now surfaced.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
Guru

City: gulf coast
The acorn nut means it belongs to something meant to look pretty. A faucet, an engine or generator control panel, a valve manifold mount.

Look around for other acorn nuts on stuff as they are usually not used in singles.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
1/8" dia brass bolt, soft washer, and 3/8" chromed acorn nut? I doubt it's anything serious. I doubt it's part of an electric motor or an alternator; not long enough and not usually acorn nuts. I agree the nut does not look like stainless. Not much corrosion so not from a wet item.

Guesses: off of a marine toilet; a cover for electric switch gear/charger/inverter; from some bit of discarded equipment; potable water filter;

I always wonder when I find washers, nuts, screws lying around.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
At first look I would agree that it is off something that wants to look tidy given the head of that nut.

But on second look it looks like the bolt of a strainer basket. These are usually held down by wing nuts, but if the OP had dropped or otherwise lost the wing nut, he could very well have reached into his pile of nuts and found something to replace it with.

Check your strainers.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #13

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I just replaced several of these. They are Macerator pump bolts and are two different lengths. there is a stainless replacement bolt set available as the brass were problematical.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #14

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
NEW Jabsco SS Bolt Kit f/Older 18590 Series Macerator Pumps 17288-1000 | eBay
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #15
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Looks like a strainer or pump assembly stud. Looks like the head is broken and remains the nuts, did you find the hex head anywhere near?
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
I just replaced several of these. They are Macerator pump bolts and are two different lengths. there is a stainless replacement bolt set available as the brass were problematical.
As I mentioned, that's what it looks like but there's no way any parts from the macerator found their way to where I found this part.

There was a comment about it being too short for something but since it's broken at the end opposite the nut, we don't know how long the rest of it is.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's going to be really cold this weekend so I probably won't visit the boat until next weekend.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
Guru

It is something someone threw in there to drive you nuts. A little like throwing a rigging pin or cotter pin on a competitor's sail boat deck before a race.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #18
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
It's entirely due to bilge ferrets, they love to do this sort of thing to annoy you. You must learn to adapt and understand their games.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Stupid question, do you have any prosthesis? Maybe this does not come from your boat...
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. THAT'S the best question of the year (so far). You win the internet!