Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Weaver PVC pads separating from hull

Greetings- Sought out threads related to this subject. While there are threads of installing pads, those relate to Hypalon.

New glue, old glue- What ever, I used the correct glue available dated within the past year. Followed all the instructions, called Weaver several times to confirm my status in the process. So in my mind it was a successful installation. The stand off pads, and the second mount pad are without fault. So- Now I have a pad lifting and before it becomes a major issue will ask if there are some solutions to take under consideration.

To the best of my knowledge and my seeking on the internet, articles or directions to removing such a flawed Weaver pad is non-existent for PVC material.

From Hypalon, yes, heat works,

Thanks for taking an interest.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Let me know what to do about this since I have the same thing happening on my PVC dinghy also. I followed the directions exactly.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Hi Capt. My post is one of frustration. Will contact Weaver folks tomorrow morning. They are helpful to a fault so what they tell me I will pass on. Al
Old 02-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Al
Guru

Okay, here is what I learned from Weaver. First, according to my description of process in placing the pads, she indicated that the specific area of the pad that is lifting is due to the glue becoming dry prior to placing the pad to the boat tube. It has to be ‘Tacky’.

Second: The two part glue we use is not really two part in that the smaller vile holds some sort of environmental component It is not a catalyst or exciter for the main bottle of glue. In fact one can use the glue without the addition of the smaller vile. (Details escape me on this only the important part of using the glue). The glue is valid for 30 days after opening. Here was in part my mis-understanding. I had thought the mixing of the two substances was required much as one addresses the mixing of fiberglass resin. Not so.
Her instructions on acquiring a new supply of glue, is to heat the pad area with a heat gun, then apply glue to both the pad and the boat as possible pressed together of course. Then allow to sit for 48 hours. Of course the usual caveat was given about doing it near or where water would or could affect the operation.

Nice of her to offer some method of shipping me a supply of glue, however coming to Alaska via ground would take a bit of time where as I can purchase a new glue supply locally. In the meanwhile I have ordered a ‘One” part glue:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

As the Weaver glue is in effect a one part,without the environmental addition, this product may be as effective. We shall soon know.

It was interesting her response to my inquiry of doing nothing with the situation. ‘'Would the pad eventually come off?” She thought so but by my description, it would be some time or the reaction to a violent movement that could tear the pad off. It is my assumption at this time, that the total strength of the pad will continue to be within tolerances. Sealing the lifted portion to prevent access to weather/water could be sufficient.Trusting that the case, hopefully it would not result in a torn raft!! At any rate, I will give you a follow up after I apply and see what develops.

Although I did not ask specifically as to removal of a pad process, she in turn did not suggest any process which seemingly confirms that PVC pad application are a one shot deal unless nature in some form, removes the pad.

We did not discuss the use of solvent or the preparation of the pad re-glue, assuming the use of Acetone or the prescribed Weaver thinner, to the area prior to re-gluing. At least that is what I intend.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 02-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Al, when the glue arrives can you post what it is? I`m guessing polyurethane for now.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have the same situation and am waiting for weather to warm up before I reglue a pad that has lifted. I was told by Weaver to use Toulene to clean the area before reglueing.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Al, when the glue arrives can you post what it is? I`m guessing polyurethane for now.
I am sure you are correct. If you look at the site given above, you will note that customers have purchased in conjunction with pad eyes for various applications all with and related to inflatables. Fairly good sign this product has a history of success. I am hoping so. The price is right, under $20.00 vs $48.00 for Weaver product.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 02-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
A friend installed the Weaver about the time it was first introduced. Think he paid about $1200 or so for the system way back then to mount onto his PVC West Marine dinghy. He never had a problem with his system/pads except when part of the system got into his way. Yes, he drove his dinghy right straight into one of the pieces that mount to the swim platform and sank the dink along with his brand new 6HP 4 cycle outboard.

He has the same system now (new pads of course) mounted to his hypalon West Marine dinghy. OH...and a new outboard
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Guru

I had a dock mate for a while who was really OCD about his boat maintenance and appearance. He said he has installed a number of the Weaver pads on dinghies over the years and never had any problem. However, he always took the dinghy home and put it in his climate controlled garage. There he would clean the dinghy and glue the pad on and leave it undisturbed for a week.

So, something to think about when you reglue your pad. One of the reasons I haven't done it is I wanted both warmer/dryer weather but also a time when I won't be using the dinghy. This spring some time most likely.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Guru

Same problem with the pads coming loose, although they still do the job, even though they are only half on.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Al
Guru

Quote:
First shipment of the product 'blew up' in shipment. Replacement inroute. Keep you posted- Too much weather now to do anything,maybe by the time the replacement shows up.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #12
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
More pertinent discussion at http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...lem-22644.html
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Thanks- Finding past threads without knowing specifics or proper 'code' words can be frustrating. The information on your find is repetitive of what the current thread holds. Heard yesterday evening my replacement glue has arrived and is being forwarded as I type.

The important facit is the several post encouraging a call to Weaver and speak with the really knowledgeable folks that will provide the correct information.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 03-19-2017, 05:31 AM   #14
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
How about using 5200?
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
How about using 5200?
This has come up more than once, results not. Holding off for the arrival of the glue and then hopefully a happy report to the forum.

Al
Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Holding off for the arrival of the glue and then hopefully a happy report to the forum.

Al
Best plan!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
However, he always took the dinghy home and put it in his climate controlled garage. There he would clean the dinghy and glue the pad on and leave it undisturbed for a week.
That's how I did mine, and no issues 2 years in...
Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #18
Al
Guru

Greetings- Well the glue arrived on the second effort. Let me say that the supplier has acted with exemplary service! The first shipment experenced failure with the container damaged and leaking. Advised the supplier and the second effort was outstanding in packaging.
Applied the glue as instructed, I wish I had the ability to post photos but will explain as best I can. After gluing I used shipping straps, the kind that have a cranking feature, hooked from one side of the trailer the inflatable was resting, to the other side. Under the straps (two) I placed a 16 inch piece of 1X1 inch wood. This was pressing against the area glued. left it for 48 hours. Removed and then replaced on a second section that showed weakness in the original gluing.
It worked!! pad is as tight and fully resistent to efforts to separate.
Here is the product information and supplier site on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan
Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
Guru

Thanks for the update Al. I am waiting for some decent weather to do the same to mine.

Dave
SPOT page