waterproofing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justinclay

Just wondering do the bigger obviously more expensive boats seal off the cabin. By seal off i mean able to hold water out in case of a hell storm or taking on big waves?? I mean i knOw a bilge pump er ten will be aboard. Im not talking ships im talking 40-50 footers. If not, have any of you taking the steps to make it sealed. And if so what exactly did you do? Thicker windows? Reseal the windows? Rubber around the doors or something. Love to hear the stories.

3/8” plex a glass with weather stripping been fastened to the exterior teak frames which keeps the rain/wind/water off the windows, and also as storm window to hold in the heat, and no condensation.

As for the doors have tightened them up so there is less of an air gap and door weather stripping. The doors are somewhat protect, the pilot house door by a solid Portuguese bridge and the stern door by solid high rails.

I am concerned about holding in the heat and keeping the cold/freezing rain/wind/snow out. The Eagle is a long rang offshore trawler.

Never had a problem with the plex glass?? 3/8's seems like it would flex still quite a bit causing the seal to leak. Doors seem like just a simple rubber seal to help tighten it would be ok.

Never had a problem with the plex glass?? 3/8's seems like it would flex still quite a bit causing the seal to leak. Doors seem like just a simple rubber seal to help tighten it would be ok.

3/8" plex glass, 3 ft X 4 ft does not flex much, but if it did the air gap is about 1/4 inch away from the window, so it would not break. In 60+ MPH broad side they have not flexed, and we had a lawen chair form the neighbors boat hit a window with no damage. However, thicker plex could be used if necessary? The seal have not leaked caused by flexing. The leaks have been because the weather stripping is old and/or saturated.

I take them down in the in May and put them up October. However, I also been leaving them up in the summer as they also keeps the warm/hot air out and off the windows. The plex effect interior temps about 10 degrees, with no air drafts.

If you are looking for storm and heavy wave protection then it is not Plexiglas acrylic that you use, rather use Lexan polycarbonate.
Polycarbonate is several times stronger, more expensive too, but it withstand abuse that will break acrylic.

Of course for both of them the installation must be done properly or you will not get the benefit.

Im not personally looking. Just wondering if people have pushed the limits of their waterproofing. If so, how did it handle it. Any leaking, cracking.....loud, does it hold sound in/out. Heat/cold holding.

Back
Top Bottom