I have seen Peggie Halls post on shocking water tanks. What I am not sure about is the amount bleach to be mixed in. I have a 144 gallon tank, am I correct in calculating a gallon of bleach? (Assuming 16 cups to a gallon).
This is an excerpt from Peggie Halls post on Trawler Forum:
1. Prepare a chlorine solution using one gallon of water and 1/2 cup (4
oz) Clorox or Purex household bleach (5-7% sodium Hypochlorine
solution). With tank empty, pour chlorine solution into tank. Use one
gallon of solution for each 5 gallons of tank capacity.
Also is doing a treatment with half a tank of water and taking the boat out for the day a good way to wash out the tank? Is there any downside to doing this? I do understand most of the problems are in the plumbing lines.
In order to drain the tank upon completion, the water pump will need to run for a considerable amount of time. Is there any down side to having water pump running for a long time to flush out the lines?
Any and all suggestions are welcomed