Water spots on windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.
What do you use to keep water spots off windows? Will something like rain x work?
Or will I have to go out and dry the windows every time we wash or rinse off the boat?

Rainx works well enough for me. A shower squeegee will also remove the drops that spot.

Ted

Glass stovestop cleaner works miraculously. (Not original; I learned it here.)

I actually wax my windows. Water runs off and lasts longer than Rain X.

Rainx works well enough for me. A shower squeegee will also remove the drops that spot.

Ted

We use a squeegee when we wast the boat or the windows. If your home port has hard water, you may want to consider a dock side water softener. The hard water can leave mineral stains on the windows, isinglass and fiberglass.

Attachments

• 11BC2C8A-A440-48B2-8BC3-6E15A188DA43.jpeg
    11BC2C8A-A440-48B2-8BC3-6E15A188DA43.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 108
The site says it’s safe to use on plastics, but I am leery of using it on my polycarbonate.
Must be a very new product, with only one review so far.
I use Flitz metal polish, and am very happy with that, so hopefully their new products will live up to their reputation.
Has anyone else tried the Flitz sealant?
I’ve been using Rain X for plastics, with pretty dismal results, and I am anxious to find something better.

Having fresh-water spigots on deck: a quick rinse of fresh water dispenses with water spots for me.

I am assuming we are talking about the glass windows and not canvas..

I would not use rain x or aquapel on clear vinyl or strataglass or izonglass. There are specific cleaners and polishes for strata or izon.

Glass stovestop cleaner works miraculously. (Not original; I learned it here.)

Really?? With no scratching (on Glass)? I wouldn't have thought of that! (and I do have a glasstop stove!) Will try this weekend!

You need an older boat. After 25 years or so the windows get no spottier.

I second glass stove top cleaner/polish.

Okay yall... none of these worked. Not stove top cleaner nor vinegar. What else makes the list? Supposedly, water spot are alkaline in nature and an acid like vinegar SHOULD work, but we had zero change. Even after letting it sit for a minute. Same with stove top cleaner. It wasn’t like it did a little and elbow grease would add to it... there was zero affect on the spots. Now what?

Okay yall... none of these worked. Not stove top cleaner nor vinegar. What else makes the list? Supposedly, water spot are alkaline in nature and an acid like vinegar SHOULD work, but we had zero change. Even after letting it sit for a minute. Same with stove top cleaner. It wasn’t like it did a little and elbow grease would add to it... there was zero affect on the spots. Now what?

Below is a link to an automotive detailing glass cleaner. I think this is the stuff my auto detailer uses. Read the information online before you buy it. Lots of warnings about it ruining paint and rubber seals etc.

https://www.polishingsystemsinc.com/products/water-spot-remover.html

Ted

I've used Fine Bronze wool (not steel) to polish the worst water spots off and it worked well. Bronze is softer than steel, doesn't scratch, rust or shred. It is not rated on the 0 scale but Fine or thinner is best. Amazon has it.

Have you tried Bon Ami? Or any other cleaner polish that is fiberglass safe? If the product will not make visible scratches on Fiberglas counters or showers it won't damage real glass. I've used Bon Ami on my car windshields for years to remove hard water spots and baked on sap and bird poo.

Thanks... We will try some of these.

Here is an article on various strategies:

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Hard-Water-Stains-From-Glass

The last time I did this, I made a vinegar solution, then soaked a micro fiber towel in it, then laid the towel on the windscreen for about 4 minutes. The stains easily lifted off after that. Realize that won't exactly work on a vertical window.

A couple of years ago in Anacortes, I asked someone detailing a large yacht how they got water spots off of windows. The answer was a 3M rubbing compound used with a buffer. Once they were removed use a carnuba wax on the glass. I had tried vinegar and almost everything else and the spots didn't yield. I gave up on the buffer as I could put more pressure on it by hand. After 3 passes with the rubbing compound they were gone. The carnuba wax lasts almost all summer and is easy to put on and remove. Water flows right off and salt spray that dries washes off easily with fresh water. I do the same with the windshield and windows in the truck and car.

Tom

I would try this. 3M Marine Compound and Finishing Material, 06044, 32 fl oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AZ9J0

Then finish with a high quality wax. Can also finish with Paint Guard Plus, which doesn't require any wiping off.

I use a product called “Bring It On”. Started using it 3 boats ago. Had tried lots of other products, but this stuff works. I smear it on, like I was waxing, then use RO buffer with a scrub pad. A few minutes with buffer, then wipe off with damp rag, dry with paper towels and windows look new. They have a follow up product, that works much like Rainx, to protect glass. 18 windows on boat, took about 2 hours, with normal dockside chat.
https://www.bringitoncleaner.com/

Water Spots

Best product I have ever found is by a small central California company, Don's Mobile Water Spot Remover. They sell direct from their web site.

Best product I have ever found is by a small central California company, Don's Mobile Water Spot Remover. They sell direct from their web site.

I just want to go on record as Tom B replying to Tom A :thumb:

Do you have a safety razor blade holder like this? I use these to clean home windows of water spots and paint drips.

s-l500.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom