Old 11-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #1

City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Vinyl Graphic Removal from Awlcraft

Well, aside from the more serious issue of cafe oil, which I hope to resolve very soon with the sage advice of members of this forum, I plan a vessel name change.

And prior to having the new graphics installed, I must obviously remove the old. I say old, though the current vinyl was only installed in 2016. And the boat has been stored indoors heated every winter since she was brand new off the factory floor.

I understand that removal from a gelcoat finish requires a certain procedure and products, but from paint is another matter. I presume that the task involves a hairdryer. But can anyone with such experience kindly share the benefits of that experience so that I don't damage my Alwcraft 2000 paint finish? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Transom.jpg  
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have done it several times. They make plastic razor blades (old style single edge, not the utility knife type) for use in small window / decal scrappers. Got mine at a marine supply store. Not going to say you can't scratch the paint with one, but much more user friendly when trying to lift the corner of a decal.

See if you can lift the corner of the letter with the above tool. Sometimes you can slowly peel the decal once you get the corner lifted. If the decal is brittle, heating it till its warm to the touch with a heat gun or hair dryer will make it easier to peel. Heating softens the vinyl, loosens the adhesive a little, and keeps the vinyl from breaking as easily.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Ross
From my MS / Awlcraft experience
Heat gun helps a lot.
I tried those plastic "razor" blades but they were not very sharp or sturdy... gave up.
A stiff sharp plastic scraper worked best for me. I rounded the corners so less likely to scratch. Goo gone helped with the glue residue. I did a light final clean with Colonite cleaner before applying new vinyl.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I have done it several times. They make plastic razor blades (old style single edge, not the utility knife type) for use in small window / decal scrappers. Got mine at a marine supply store. Not going to say you can't scratch the paint with one, but much more user friendly when trying to lift the corner of a decal.

See if you can lift the corner of the letter with the above tool. Sometimes you can slowly peel the decal once you get the corner lifted. If the decal is brittle, heating it till its warm to the touch with a heat gun or hair dryer will make it easier to peel. Heating softens the vinyl, loosens the adhesive a little, and keeps the vinyl from breaking as easily.

Ted
Thanks for the tips, Ted.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Ross
From my MS / Awlcraft experience
Heat gun helps a lot.
I tried those plastic "razor" blades but they were not very sharp or sturdy... gave up.
A stiff sharp plastic scraper worked best for me. I rounded the corners so less likely to scratch. Goo gone helped with the glue residue. I did a light final clean with Colonite cleaner before applying new vinyl.
Thanks, Don. I'll try the plastic blade/scraper, and I already have a "glue-off" product. I'll just check the instruction label re use on painted surfaces.

I've been unable so far to find a collinite product that isn't a wax or pre-wax product. https://www.caswellcanada.ca/collinite-wax-products/. What exactly do you use? What do think about this product? https://www.foghboatsupplies.com/sta...y-yma011g.html
Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Ross,
You do know that changing a boat's name is serious business. Not just the vinyl. You have to conduct a complete ceremony (see John Vigor's ceremony for name changing) and invite all TF members to come where you supply copious amounts of adult beveridges
Failure to do this can result in very upset sea, weather, and other deities resulting in "bad luck", so it is far better to just invite the whole TF crew!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #7

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
A while ago I removed painted lettering on Awalgrip with EZ off oven cleaner.
Wiped it on scrubbed it for 2 minutes washed off with soap etc.

The new letting came from diylettering.com
Great company, I needed a Beneteau logo their seahorse.

Went to brands.com got vector file uploaded to them they only charged about $20 for a 9" logo with all the other lettering home port etc less than $100
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Ross,
You do know that changing a boat's name is serious business. Not just the vinyl. You have to conduct a complete ceremony (see John Vigor's ceremony for name changing) and invite all TF members to come where you supply copious amounts of adult beveridges
Failure to do this can result in very upset sea, weather, and other deities resulting in "bad luck", so it is far better to just invite the whole TF crew!
All in good fun!

Just remember, keeping a totally inappropriate name is also bad luck.
Our first boat was a new build, so our choice of name was on it when it was sold, and still there when seen 30 years on.
Our second had a silly name, so we had to change it, went with our original choice, adding a number to it.
Our third (present boat) was already on its second name, which made sense only if your heritage was that of the last 2 owners, so it also had to go. Luckily our present name was the same number of letters and the name was all on teak boards, so no shadowing that couldn't just be sanded out.
Luckily again, this was all done long before TF, so we missed the obligation Tom has outlined.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Ross
On that Colonite link it's the prexwax cleaner. I apply by hand and it does a nice job cleaning the surface prior to applying graphics. I dont normally use it on my Awlgrip but did in this 1 time for prep.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Ross,

Not that I'm superstitious, Tom, but you're all invited as soon as my boat is capable of carrying all TF members. :-)
Old 11-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipets View Post
A while ago I removed painted lettering on Awalgrip with EZ off oven cleaner.
Wiped it on scrubbed it for 2 minutes washed off with soap etc.

The new letting came from diylettering.com
Great company, I needed a Beneteau logo their seahorse.

Went to brands.com got vector file uploaded to them they only charged about $20 for a 9" logo with all the other lettering home port etc less than $100
Thanks. But my graphics are vinyl and not paint. I'd be really nervous using such a corrosive product on a painted hull.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
All in good fun!

Just remember, keeping a totally inappropriate name is also bad luck.
Our first boat was a new build, so our choice of name was on it when it was sold, and still there when seen 30 years on.
Our second had a silly name, so we had to change it, went with our original choice, adding a number to it.
Our third (present boat) was already on its second name, which made sense only if your heritage was that of the last 2 owners, so it also had to go. Luckily our present name was the same number of letters and the name was all on teak boards, so no shadowing that couldn't just be sanded out.
Luckily again, this was all done long before TF, so we missed the obligation Tom has outlined.
Quite a story, Keith. I'd decided that a name change was in order before I even bought this boat. But when I crossed paths with another vessel named Red Rover (without any number; mine is currently Red Rover II) this past summer, my decision to change her name was confirmed.

In case you're unaware, in Canada, federally registered vessels are done so by name and port of registry. So, each name must be unique.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Ross
On that Colonite link it's the prexwax cleaner. I apply by hand and it does a nice job cleaning the surface prior to applying graphics. I dont normally use it on my Awlgrip but did in this 1 time for prep.
Thanks, Don. But the manufacturer's description states that it's not recommended for darker-toned clear coat paint. You had no ill effects from its use on your dark hull?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Not that I'm superstitious, Tom, but you're all invited as soon as my boat is capable of carrying all TF members. :-)
I am not superstitious either, but we did have a big christening ceremony for our first boat (bought her new) complete with beveridges, food, many guests (not TF forum numbers though). It was great fun! Even broke the bottle of bubbly (inside a sock so as not to get glass everywhere).

For our trawler, (our second boat), we decided not to change the name. Two reasons: First, we actually liked the name after we found out what it means and it is not very common.

Second, we are just too cheap to go all out for the big party
So, in this way, we have kept all bases covered, so good ju ju should be assured But I am not superstitious.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think the easiest way to remove vinyl letters is with a vinyl eraser. It is a rubber disc that you chuck in a drill and erase the vinyl off the paint. I’ve used the one made by 3M on gel coat and it worked great. They specifically mention using it on marine paint in their literature.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4857497&rt=rud
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
First take the hair dryer to it. Heat guns work but you can do damage to paint with a heat gun so I prefer the hair dryer. Use high temp on the hair dryer, start at a corner and pull slowly, if the glue is sticking to the boat use less heat. If you leave excessive glue on the boat then you will need an eraser wheel as mentioned above to properly remove the glue. Once the vinyl is removed you will probably need to buff the transom with a polishing compound. You can never fully buff out the vinyl shadow but you should be able to make it mostly invisible.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilson View Post
Thanks. But my graphics are vinyl and not paint. I'd be really nervous using such a corrosive product on a painted hull.
Actually, EZoff oven cleaner is exactly what we recommend to remove painted on graphics from painted surfaces.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
I am not superstitious either, but we did have a big christening ceremony for our first boat (bought her new) complete with beveridges, food, many guests (not TF forum numbers though). It was great fun! Even broke the bottle of bubbly (inside a sock so as not to get glass everywhere).

For our trawler, (our second boat), we decided not to change the name. Two reasons: First, we actually liked the name after we found out what it means and it is not very common.

Second, we are just too cheap to go all out for the big party
So, in this way, we have kept all bases covered, so good ju ju should be assured But I am not superstitious.
Sounds like you handled things wisely and with panache, Tom. :-)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think the easiest way to remove vinyl letters is with a vinyl eraser. It is a rubber disc that you chuck in a drill and erase the vinyl off the paint. I’ve used the one made by 3M on gel coat and it worked great. They specifically mention using it on marine paint in their literature.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4857497&rt=rud
I'd be somewhat nervous about this method due primarily to the warning about heat buildup from the spinning wheel. I can certainly see it proving effective on gelcoat. But on Awlcraft 2000 marine paint, which has a softer finish than Awlgrip, due to the less dense molecular structure, the surface resin has a lower melting point.

When this acrylic urethane is buffed, the resin is able to flow together. Nevertheless, the more it's buffed, the closer you get to exposing the colour pigment beneath, and shortening the life of the paint.

Thus, I feel in my case, the use of some chemical, not-abrasive cleaner would be wiser.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
First take the hair dryer to it. Heat guns work but you can do damage to paint with a heat gun so I prefer the hair dryer. Use high temp on the hair dryer, start at a corner and pull slowly, if the glue is sticking to the boat use less heat. If you leave excessive glue on the boat then you will need an eraser wheel as mentioned above to properly remove the glue. Once the vinyl is removed you will probably need to buff the transom with a polishing compound. You can never fully buff out the vinyl shadow but you should be able to make it mostly invisible.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.