Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #1

City: Watch Hill, RI
Vessel Name: "Grand Tango"
Vessel Model: 1987 34' Fu Hwa Europa
blistering Cap rail joints

Any tricks for keeping water out of on cap rail scarf joints? There doesn't seem to be any movement of the joints or cracking on the varnish surface.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
After owning 2 Grand Banks over an 18 year span, I have not found any trick to prevent moisture getting into the joints. What I did discover is that the process of covering every piece of beautiful bright work with canvas does nothing to prolong the life of the finish. I have found that leaving it uncovered allows moisture to evaporate quickly and the finish, FWIW, lasts longer for me. The day I threw all those yards of canvas into th dumpster and relieved myself of that arduous task was a happy boating day. In case you are wondering, we are full time cruisers and our bright work is exposed to sun year round.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. d. I think enlarging the joint and filling with caulk may help.

Mr. Larry M's picture...
Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I suspect the best approach is to provide the joints w a very flexable coating and to make the joint wide enough to flex gracefully w/o breaking the adhesion of the caulking in the seam or the coating over it.

What I do to accomplish the above is to varnish our cap rail w a high oil more flexable varnish that will resist strongly the tendency to crack or break and allow water to reach the wood, cause swelling, mildew and eventially rot. And of course the water promotes the breakdown of the adhesion of the caulk to the faces of the joint and then the water goes deep into the joint. Not good.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The most successful joints I have seen are those that are zig zagged, tightly caulked and about 1/4 minimum wide. Like most DeFevers. This allows normal minor heat/cold flexing without leaking. Some very high end vessels do straight joints with poor expected results. Also, the cap rail needs a tight bead of caulk underneath on both sides or moisture will wick up. Don't forget to rebed any screws that go into the cap rail, they leak over time too.

On some vessels nothing works well to keep varnish looking good as the hull underneath or cap rail/hull joining technique is too flimsy and is working all the time against the cap rail and loosening up varnish. In this case natural and lightly oiled teak may be the best approach.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
Guru

My caprail joints are curved at the ends. I wonder how they cut then so they fit? And I wonder if the curve is a benefit to the seam re flexing and working? Or if it just looks better to some.

The cockpit mess? Working on that today .. painting even.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71167 copy.JPG   STH71166 copy.jpg  

Old 04-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -
Unlike Hmason, we have found that covers on external teak extend the life of a bright finish by a factor of years. Many years. Also, we bailed on varnish as an exterior bright finish some 15 years ago and switched to Bristol which in this climate outlasts varnish by a good five or six years assuming the finish is applied properly in the first place.

The key to keeping finish from lifting is proper bedding of the teak, be it against a surface or in a joint.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
As an FYI, we use AwlBrite.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
BoatLife caulk works very well on my caprail joints.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
Guru

RC I think that Boatlife is formulated for teak.
Hard to get anything to stick to something oily.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

For recaulking cap rail or hand rail joints, I would be inclined to use TDS deck seam sealant. It has become the standard for making the seams between teak deck planks. I would think it would be equally effective used in rail joints.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
The only problem with using the TDS caulk is I don't believe it comes in small squeeze tubes.

As noted Lifecaulk or 5200 works just fine.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
The only problem with using the TDS caulk is I don't believe it comes in small squeeze tubes.
You're correct, I don't believe it does. However we've been taught a technique that keeps TDS "good" in the tube for a long time after it's been opened and used in a caulking gun. And since we have a 42 year old teak deck we tend to have TDS on the boat a fair amount of the time.

But you're right, it would not be worth buying a tube of TDS just to caulk a few rail joints. It ain't cheap stuff......
Old 04-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
You might have to blow pic up to see joint but when we replaced or cap rails with new teak we used TDS on joints . We held the joint apart at least 1/8" or better .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)

I'm going through this now. I refinished my caprail last spring and the finish has failed at the joints. S-3 Maritime does the commissioning for the new build kadey Krogens and they now caulk all the joints on the caprail. I have an email in to them but I want to report my recent failure. Yesterday, after considerable perpetration, I filled the joints with Sikaflex 291 and was very pleased with the way it looked...until 3 hours after it cured and I has Sikaflex soufflé! The Sikaflex had raised up considerably above the joint. I pulled the material out of one joint and it looks like closed cell neoprene. This looks to me like the product gases on curing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432318491.687442.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	40385
I'm now looking into TDS Teak Deck Caulking but am unsure if I can source this product up here. BTW, as Sunchaser mentions, my joints are zigzagged.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Try Fisheries Supply in Seattle for the TDS. They ship all over the world.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

TDS is the best deck seam sealant on the planet. I would think it would be ideal for cap and handrail joint seams, too. When we have time to redo all the rails properly on our PNW boat we'll widen the existing joint gaps and use TDS to fill them.

I did this a number of years ago to the handrail gate on our stern rail. I refinished the teak gate and then sealed the joints at the bronze hardware that goes on at each end of the gate. It's been years since I did this and there has been no finish (Bristol) lifting at the joints as there has been on the other gates.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #18
Guru

Western Marine carries it. Going to get it now. I got the Boatlife product at the local store but based on what others have said, I will get the TDS product instead. Thanks guys!

Jim
Old 05-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Note that TDS is not inexpensive and an unopened tube has a one-year shelf life. I have had good luck after using part of a tube to cut the finger off a thin nylon (surgeon's) glove, put it over the nozzle with a little slack at the top, tape it tightly around the nozzle with electrical tape, and then use the gun to fill the top of the finger. This keeps air out of the tube pretty effectively. When I want to use the tube again I remove the glove and the glob of sealant in the finger and the rest of the material is good to go.

The life of the material in the tube is still shortened but I've had a tube be good to use even after two or three months stored like this.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Note that TDS is not inexpensive...
$20 Cdn.

Quite frankly, I would have rather paid $100 and used it in the first place rather than go through the process of having to clean the Sikaflex out of the joints and recaulk!

Jim