Varnish Job Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460913449.409369.jpg

Finally got the steps finished and installed this weekend. The only problem is that they make the rest of the wood look bad, but that's next (and a topic for my next thread). Thanks again for everyone's help!

Looks great! Congrats.

Greetings,
Mr. c. The lesson you should learn is do NOT refinish just one piece or be prepared to do everything. Hahahahaha....I do that all the time. Looks nice. Now, how about the non-skid?

Ahh, the non-skid issue. I admit that they are a bit more slick than I had anticipated, but they're still under cover and shouldn't get wet. They go from the enclosed aft deck to the enclosed flybridge.

The plan was always to refinish all the exterior wood and I'm learning more and more about stains and varnish as I go along. I had a great visit at local woodworking store yesterday, so I'm feeling more confident as I move forward. Depending on how my darker colored aft deck doors and trim goes, I may be tempted to strip the steps once again and stain them to match. I figure that way I could get some additional use out of that nice scrapper and heat gun I bought;) If I do that, I'll take the slip issue more seriously.

As far as the wood goes, oak is very porous so look at the end grain, its full of little minute holes, unlike almost any other wood but for maybe cypress. From the pix shown it could be teak or oak, have to see the end grain.

Back
Top Bottom