Vapour Blasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
I said I would post some results when I had an opportunity to begin the process: I have a 4000 psi pressure washer and a nozzle for mixing the sand that I got from KMS tools. It takes a lot of sand, I used two bags of sand to do the area in the first photo and it took an hour or so. I am now using ground glass, which for me was cheaper but it is not "quite" as aggressive. The expanded area in the next photo was 4 bags. I'm still experimenting with media, angles etc. It scatters sand everywhere and it takes as long to clean up as to blast. The finish is a very good non-skid, shoes will not move on it at all. Its too cold to try bare feet but I might surprise you! If it wasn't so slow I would get a dump truck full of sand and do the entire boat. I might still...

I am very pleased with the result, it will not be that uniform grey forever but to get generations of PO's attempts at non-skid off the boat is very satisfactory. I'm off now to do some more...

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 81
Looking good - is there paint in the future, or is that a dirty word:angel::angel:? I do like those American Airlines planes with the shiny aluminum hulls ...:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom