Value of fender covers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a moot point now. No need to discuss it farther. I appreciate the input. FWIW I also talked to people we know here about covers, some of whom have used them in the past, and their take was the same as psneeld's. Get dirty fast, need to be washed frequently, transfers dirt, grime and soot to the hull. So it was an easy decision.

The situation is probably different in other, drier climates. But here the feeling among the folks we've asked is that the benefits are not worth the extra work they entail. Particularly, the said, with the type of fabric these were made of.

...but I can't imagine you using dirty covers OR fenders against your hull.

Psneeld--- We view fenders as expendable so we always buy ours used in the marine consignment stores in Seattle and Bellingham. I don't think we've ever paid more than $20 for a fender, even our three monster ones. We did buy the two ball fenders new for last winter's temporary moorage but we've since taken them off the boat. So our fenders are clean in terms of dirt but they are anything but clean with regards to creosote and wood stains, scuffs, and scrapes from previous owners.

Save your breath Bruce, he's made his mind up. I've tried to reassure him several times, and I've used them for years, but what do I know? He's ceased on psneeld's post (who I suspect has never used them), raising the spectre of trapping dirt and grime, something I have never had happen, so much so I even gave up washing them in the end, I got so little out of them, in spite of cane farmers often sooting our boats with burn-offs, etc, and algae grows readily elsewhere, but not on the fender covers. I think the rain must wash them a bit as well. Sadly, they are probably already gracing some drawers somewhere. I just wonder what those "very good friends" might think about that, but that's Marin's problem. But I know how I'd feel, if I had given them.
No, no, no...I can't let this go. I was just at the boat a hour ago, and thinking how good they look. So much nicer than blobs of blue/black and white plastic. And they really are no trouble, please change your mind Marin...for your friendship's sake if nothing else...just try them... how can that hurt?
I've used them, and have had dozens of clients and friends use them and occasionally in some situations they helped scratch the hull when they rotated and picked up barnacle bits.

Some of you guys are amazing.

Some of us boat for a liiving or have lived on boats for a very long time and have picked up a thing or two along the way.

I didn't say don't use covers...I just said be careful if you do and the material makes a big difference. Why should he believe you over me or anyone else????

If you read CAREFULLY, Marin usually believes/relies on very little of what he sees in the forum....to say that about me speaks volumes about you.

Hope your covers work for you forever...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
We bought our first set of covers to eliminate the squeeking that the fenders made against the hull. The admiral couldnt sleep with the noise, no problem for me. Our new set has our name on them. Maybe a little much for the boats "look". Marin what would you think about these fender hooks on your boat?

Attachments

• Fender holder.jpg
    Fender holder.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 275
I think fender covers are pretty nice looking. I made a set for my last boat (I have a commercial sewing machine and a CNC embroidery machine) and they held up well for 3 years. Never picked up any dirt that would scratch a hull, never sagged or faded. It's all about the material (UV stabilized polyester fleece)

Attached Images
No, no, no. Fenders should never be tied over varnish. Those fleece lined varnish protectors won't save your varnish. One more Kitchy thing to store.

Learn to tie a clove hitch around the stanchion and the line will hang proud of the varnish as it drops to the fender. As a bonus, the clove hitch enables quicker retrieval of the fender too.

"No, no, no. Fenders should never be tied over varnish. Those fleece lined varnish protectors won't save your varnish."

I was considering these holders because the stanchions don't always line up with where you need the fender on a pole. I have bruised my varnish top rail due to sloped poles and bad fender positioning. These holders would allow the fender to be adjusted to center on the pole. The backing is sheep's wool.
Maybe I am just getting sucked into a gadget? Anybody use these things?

I was going to make my own. 1/8" stainless backing plate, leather,sheep wool hide, cam cleat,and fairleads. I got a quote on them too, $405 each:pirate:. Thats $2460 for the six I need. Too rich for me.

what would you think about these fender hooks on your boat?

Seems overkill for what can be accomplished with simple knot. But if one likes them and feels they're appropriate for their boat, what the hell, go for them.

SomeSailor, if I recall your boat's under cover so I would not expect your fender covers would get the same kind of dirt and soot on them as they would in an open slip in a 2000+ boat marina next to a rail yard with locomotives running in it 24-7-365.

For those who haven't seen all the docking situations possible.....

Fender covers are great in a variety of circumstances and for a variety of reasons....but they, as well as gummy fenders can be grit magnets...at least temporarily or long enough to do damage. Probably so can brand new clean fenders...just a little less likely.

As long as those situations never arise or you are particularly vigilant...use 'em as it's been said "smoke'm if you got'em...

Just be careful...there are situations where damages HAS occurred and if in doubt of my dubious experience, could occur.:D

I think if you're meticulous enough to want to spring for fender covers, you're probably gonna be watching for grime build-up. I like 'em. :)

What Is Pretentiousness??

It'll be a bit pretentious looking, though. Like putting whitwall tires or a chrome exhaust pipe on a garbage truck.

.[/QUOTE]
....... A BIT PRETENTIOUS ????? :hide:

OK...some think it can't happen to them.

Dusty parking lot, strong gusts prior to a thunderstorm....grit blows on boats near parking lot...rain makes grit stick to wet fender cover (granted not all fabrics this may happen to...but the cotton, fleecy ones are suspect), strong gusty winds during thunderstorm means boat/wave action (but not a lot of torrential rain to clean the covers), scratches result.

Seen it happen...so all I can say is ....even though you may never have had a problem...it has caught good, experienced boaters.

Just like a bare fender can have stuff on it....say from a fueling situation and there wasn't enough time to clean it before you got to your slip for whatever reason and got forgotten till scratches occur.

I never said covers were better or worse...just don't think that because of them you'll never get scratched....no matter how meticulous you are unless you're the type to tie up a fuel dock cleaning fenders while others circle....:eek::D

Don't think anyone is saying that. Just that some prefer them. I think they look nice. Not gonna hurt my hull one way of another though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom