Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The guy who compounded and waxed my boat suggested that I get fender covers to minimize damage to the gelcoat when the fenders are wedged between the dock and the boat. I did and they made a difference, much less scuffing.

Since you already have them, I would use them.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Fender covers definately help to save our paint when at the dock. They also extend the fender life by blocking the UV plus the covers are cheaper than the fenders. Lena makes them out of stuff called Boat Blanket from Sailrite. Sailrite stocks boat blanket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender covers a.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	15844  

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
I have used covered fenders for over 30 years and have not seen any adverse effects on my hulls (different boats) but during the last hurricane that came through here I had to put 5 fenders down the starboard side due to the intense wind and the boat was bouncing wildly. The only damage done was to the fender covers, the wooden warf ripped them up big time. I would use them if they won't be rubbing much on wood.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
........ The only damage done was to the fender covers, the wooden warf ripped them up big time. I would use them if they won't be rubbing much on wood.
Rubber or vinyl dock edging will take care of that problem.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Actually psneeld made the comment that made the decision for us.

It rains year round here. And dirt and soot collects on everything year round. With bare fenders the rain keeps the fenders clean. If we put the covers on, particularly the ones we were given with the wool-like texture, they will capture and retain every bit of dirt and soot that falls on them. And it will take very little time for them to become an "orchard" for growing all manner of algae and other stuff. We see it everywhere on everything from dock boxes to dinghies to canvas covers in our marina, wherever dirt collects and remains damp. Even standing pools of water on a boat's side decks if it can't drain off become green pools of scum in a few weeks.

We have enough to do as it is to keep up with the boat's exterior maintenance in the time we have to do it. The last thing we need is to add another job that has to be done frequently like washing fender covers to the list.

So while we did not think from the outset that the covers were appropriate from a visual aspect for our boat, if there had been a convincing case to be made for their benefit with regards to protecting the gelcoat we would have used them. What I learned is that while they can help in some circumstances, the dirt collection and potential abrasion forces the need for frequent cleaning and that combined with what happens to dirty, wet fabric in this climate negates many times over the minimal benefit to our hull. Very few boats in our marina have fender covers, probably for this reason. The ones that do tend to be big, " yachty," and have people (charter staff, etc.) who maintain their exteriors year round.

So it was an easy decision yesterday and I appreciate psneeld's steering us in the right direction. The fabric will be put to good use in another application at home.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
To me the "best" fender material would be a sunbrella or vinyl with the tighter the weave the better (so dirt, etc fall/rinses off easily).

For UV protection great...but unless you are sure it hasn't accumulated grit from somewhere...it's just like an old gummy fender that has picked grit also and become worse than sandpaper.

I know, I know lot's of you have never had any problem with covers...but as Marin says about anchors...they never drag till they do (or something like that...)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I bought a set of Sunbrella fender covers for my best friend. He used them and they did fine, until a storm hit and they got thrashed and split.

I have stretchy polyester covers that work well at protecting the hull, but they wear easily. I only get a couple of years out of them. Raft-ups are hard on 'em.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I use one to cover my propane tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71766 copy.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	15852  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #29
Guru

Why not give them a try before Mrs M turns them into draw liners? The embroidered boat name is not that pretentious.
People we know of with a GB 52 (really about 60ft OA) have the boat name on towels, bed covers, T -shirts, cutlery, crockery, glassware.....I`m not saying that`s pretentious, not much, but names on fender covers is pretty mild, and you will id them in case they are lost/borrowed etc, unless of course the miscreant removes the covers.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Save your breath Bruce, he's made his mind up. I've tried to reassure him several times, and I've used them for years, but what do I know? He's ceased on psneeld's post (who I suspect has never used them), raising the spectre of trapping dirt and grime, something I have never had happen, so much so I even gave up washing them in the end, I got so little out of them, in spite of cane farmers often sooting our boats with burn-offs, etc, and algae grows readily elsewhere, but not on the fender covers. I think the rain must wash them a bit as well. Sadly, they are probably already gracing some drawers somewhere. I just wonder what those "very good friends" might think about that, but that's Marin's problem. But I know how I'd feel, if I had given them.
No, no, no...I can't let this go. I was just at the boat a hour ago, and thinking how good they look. So much nicer than blobs of blue/black and white plastic. And they really are no trouble, please change your mind Marin...for your friendship's sake if nothing else...just try them... how can that hurt?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

It's a moot point now. No need to discuss it farther. I appreciate the input. FWIW I also talked to people we know here about covers, some of whom have used them in the past, and their take was the same as psneeld's. Get dirty fast, need to be washed frequently, transfers dirt, grime and soot to the hull. So it was an easy decision.

The situation is probably different in other, drier climates. But here the feeling among the folks we've asked is that the benefits are not worth the extra work they entail. Particularly, the said, with the type of fabric these were made of.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...but I can't imagine you using dirty covers OR fenders against your hull.
Psneeld--- We view fenders as expendable so we always buy ours used in the marine consignment stores in Seattle and Bellingham. I don't think we've ever paid more than $20 for a fender, even our three monster ones. We did buy the two ball fenders new for last winter's temporary moorage but we've since taken them off the boat. So our fenders are clean in terms of dirt but they are anything but clean with regards to creosote and wood stains, scuffs, and scrapes from previous owners.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #33
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Save your breath Bruce, he's made his mind up. I've tried to reassure him several times, and I've used them for years, but what do I know? He's ceased on psneeld's post (who I suspect has never used them), raising the spectre of trapping dirt and grime, something I have never had happen, so much so I even gave up washing them in the end, I got so little out of them, in spite of cane farmers often sooting our boats with burn-offs, etc, and algae grows readily elsewhere, but not on the fender covers. I think the rain must wash them a bit as well. Sadly, they are probably already gracing some drawers somewhere. I just wonder what those "very good friends" might think about that, but that's Marin's problem. But I know how I'd feel, if I had given them.
No, no, no...I can't let this go. I was just at the boat a hour ago, and thinking how good they look. So much nicer than blobs of blue/black and white plastic. And they really are no trouble, please change your mind Marin...for your friendship's sake if nothing else...just try them... how can that hurt?
I've used them, and have had dozens of clients and friends use them and occasionally in some situations they helped scratch the hull when they rotated and picked up barnacle bits.

Some of you guys are amazing.

Some of us boat for a liiving or have lived on boats for a very long time and have picked up a thing or two along the way.

I didn't say don't use covers...I just said be careful if you do and the material makes a big difference. Why should he believe you over me or anyone else????

If you read CAREFULLY, Marin usually believes/relies on very little of what he sees in the forum....to say that about me speaks volumes about you.

Hope your covers work for you forever...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
We bought our first set of covers to eliminate the squeeking that the fenders made against the hull. The admiral couldnt sleep with the noise, no problem for me. Our new set has our name on them. Maybe a little much for the boats "look". Marin what would you think about these fender hooks on your boat?
Attached Images

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #35
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
I think fender covers are pretty nice looking. I made a set for my last boat (I have a commercial sewing machine and a CNC embroidery machine) and they held up well for 3 years. Never picked up any dirt that would scratch a hull, never sagged or faded. It's all about the material (UV stabilized polyester fleece)
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #36
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Attached Images
No, no, no. Fenders should never be tied over varnish. Those fleece lined varnish protectors won't save your varnish. One more Kitchy thing to store.

Learn to tie a clove hitch around the stanchion and the line will hang proud of the varnish as it drops to the fender. As a bonus, the clove hitch enables quicker retrieval of the fender too.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #37
Guru

"No, no, no. Fenders should never be tied over varnish. Those fleece lined varnish protectors won't save your varnish."

I was considering these holders because the stanchions don't always line up with where you need the fender on a pole. I have bruised my varnish top rail due to sloped poles and bad fender positioning. These holders would allow the fender to be adjusted to center on the pole. The backing is sheep's wool.
Maybe I am just getting sucked into a gadget? Anybody use these things?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Anybody use these things?
I thought about buying some once but couldn't get a loan at the bank to pay for them.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #39
Guru

I was going to make my own. 1/8" stainless backing plate, leather,sheep wool hide, cam cleat,and fairleads. I got a quote on them too, $405 each. Thats $2460 for the six I need. Too rich for me.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
what would you think about these fender hooks on your boat?
Seems overkill for what can be accomplished with simple knot. But if one likes them and feels they're appropriate for their boat, what the hell, go for them.

SomeSailor, if I recall your boat's under cover so I would not expect your fender covers would get the same kind of dirt and soot on them as they would in an open slip in a 2000+ boat marina next to a rail yard with locomotives running in it 24-7-365.