Vacuum Storage Bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I have never used them. How well do they work? How well do the clothes, like heavy jackets, fair out after 6 to 8 months of being crushed in a bag? Do they need to be dry cleaned to get them back to their original condition?

We used them this summer and they worked well. We still had a pillow case that showed a small patch of mold. Everything had been washed prior.

They work good for a while, but air will gradually seep in. During hurricane Irene we had a good bit of water come through the ports into our linen storage locker, the bags kept the linens dry.

They work well, as long as the clothes are really dry when you put them in. You can throw a new dryer sheet in there too, and that will keep them fresh smelling. If you're traveling with them away from your boat/home, be sure to get the kind that you don't have to use a vacuum to collapse, unless you'll have a vacuum at your destination. Otherwise you'll never be able to repack them!

For long term cruisers the units for food work very well.

These systems have a built in pump and melt/seal the bag after its pumped down.

The bags can be re used , tho they get shorter as you cut off the seal.

Since they are very tightly sealed they are great for filters and other items that dont do well in moisture.

Full vacuum can not be used with many items , but the seal will still be excellent

Last edited:
They work good for a while, but air will gradually seep in..................

That has been my experience as well. Things that were compressed for storage gradually grow and sometimes it's difficult to get the bags out of where you stored them when they were smaller.

Good idea, but needs some work for reliability,

That has been my experience as well. Things that were compressed for storage gradually grow and sometimes it's difficult to get the bags out of where you stored them when they were smaller.

Good idea, but needs some work for reliability,

Double bag?

I also answered on the Mainship group. We used them for 3 months on our summer cruise. Everything stayed bone dry and the bags stayed sealed. everything was fine when we took the heavy jackets, blankets, etc out again. We even used them for storing some charts. Worked great for that too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom