Vacuum cleaner for the boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought one of these for the boat and love it! Very heavy duty, lots of attachments, commercial quality. $115 and free shipping. Highly recommended.

Amazon.com: Hoover Commercial Portapower Vacuum Cleaner, 8.3 Lbs, Black: Home & Kitchen
The old farmhouse friends let me stay in the last 2 winters had one because of the small spaces, wood floors, and lot's of stairs...very nice unit. Perfect for a boat like yours!

My boat is set up such (no installed carpets so throw rugs go outside to be shaken/beaten)...all I use is a Lowes bucket top shop vac ($19.99), with lots'a hose. They are very powerful...I have a wet dry bucket if need be, the hose reaches everywhere with the bucket outside so all the "get thorugh dust" goes outside. The benefit is I have the wet ability for spills and bilge sucking. I can store it there and if it only lasts a couple years no biggie.

Eventually I hope to have a semi permanent home for it down there with the pick up/exhaust tubes accessible in the salon door step. Attach the hoses, flip the remote switch and vacuum away!!! ... wet or dry..:thumb:

We have a built in. I thought I was going to like it. Well the hose is like fighting a 30' Anaconda every time I use it. Also storing the hose is a PIA. I'm sure the snake would at least slither off and find it's own hole.

Something about this makes me snicker. :rofl::D

Small wet/dry shop vac. similar to the one in Ebers post. very strong and thought I seldom use it to pick up spills it will do the job. Salt water would probably ruin it after a while but a new one every couple of years won't break the bank, yet.
Steve W

We have a built in. I thought I was going to like it. Well the hose is like fighting a 30' Anaconda every time I use it. Also storing the hose is a PIA. I'm sure the snake would at least slither off and find it's own hole.

I found that our built in was almost worthless as well, especially for dog hair.

Went with one of the very small uprights and am happy to not deal with the long hose.

I also keep a small shop vac on board for sucking out wet places, etc...

For the bilges and other grungy spaces:
511TqOBsEUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Stanley 3.5 gallon. Thirty bucks at Costco. I didn't install the cheesy plastic wheeled base. Stainless steel, about the diameter of a 5 gallon round bucket, easy to stow, relatively quiet. Did I mention it really, really sucks?:whistling:

And for the interior:

miele_mango.jpg

Miele compact. The Best. Quite a bit more than thirty bucks, and worth it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom