Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ultrasonic Anti-fouling

Anyone any experience of Ultrasonic Anti-fouling.

I have to start planning for when Play d'eau comes out*to have her bottom painted, and this looks*a good idea.

Comments?
Piers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Ultrasonic Anti-fouling

Was a great idea in the '60's but never worked .

Perhaps today its a different concept but ,,,,,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Guru

Piers, This stuff is snake oil technology. Save your money and a great deal of aggravation. Think about it, if it really worked, every boat in your marina would have it. There is no science or any independent studies other than the sellers claims that show even a hint that it works. We have seen these installed in boats and they did absolutely nothing. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi All,

I sent the makers an email this morning, and had a reply within which looks interesting since a magazine I know well, appears to be about to endorse it following their tests.

------------

I asked the following question

----- Original Message -----
To: "David"
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: 20m + enquiry

Hi David,
Many thanks for the prompt reply. I find there is very little 'hard evidence' about ultrasonic antifouling, and when asking around, many say it's a 'snake oil' product.

Can I ask what reassurance you can give me?

Piers
--------------------

To which I had the following reply,

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 30 November 2009 08:26
To: Piers
Subject: Re: 20m + enquiry

Hello again...
We have sold over 600 units since launching the product at the Southampton Boatshow in 2008, to destinations all around the world. We have also had test units out with the Marine publications, one of which has just completed and will be written up in the February edition (out in January).... this is the Motorboats and Yachting test and it is a totally convincing result, by their own admission.
The principle is not new, it has been in agricultural use for 20 years in the treatment of lakes, resevoirs and water treatment plants and simply adapted for marine use.... and we can most certainly reassure you that the system works extremely well.
I hope this helps, but if not, just wait until the independant press publications are available during the first part of next year.
With kind regards
David

----------------

Hmmm. I'll wait to read the results.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
FF
Guru

and had a reply within which looks interesting since a magazine I know well, appears to be about to endorse it following their tests.

Ever read a write up on ANY boat or product in a magazine , where the company advertises?

PM has yet to find much in hundreds of tests , that is not " it is already being changed".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Guru

Your money, so spend it any way you want, so how about this. Send me half the cost of this unit, I will send you a battery operated version that I guarantee will be as effective as the unit they will try to sell you. You will benefit since you will spend half as much to achieve the same end, and I promise I will put your money to good use. Drop me a PM and I will give you the info on where to send the funds. Chuck
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Not to be confused with hull cleaning, but ultra sonic cleaning for many types of industiral equipment has been around for several decades. It is used for eyeglasses,* gears, hydraulic components etc. "Dip tanks" are the norm.* In the old days, Led Zeppelin harmonics worked for me with a real big amp.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

It is interesting that a Google search only returns thousands of press releases and posts in yachting groups where people ask each other if they know anything about this.

What is really telling is that the US Navy, which spends a fortune on antifouling, is seeking research into new methods which do not use TBT or other unacceptable chemicals. They have outlined the areas in which they are soliciting research ideas and believe it or not, ultrasonic or acoustic antifouling is not among the areas of interest.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

OK OK OK! Message received loud and clear. Research complete - it's a no to ultrasonics! Thanks for all the definite feedback.

Now, where's my brush, overalls, pressure washer, goggles......
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Piers:

Although I admit to being a little skeptical, I'll also admit to being interested! When more is known about the product (cost, does it really work, etc) please keep us posted.

Walt** (It wasn't all that long ago that most thought we would sail over the edge.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

I am with Walt. If this did work it would be an excellent alternative to bottom jobs. I suggest we all encourAge Piers to give this a try. In the meanwhile maybe Chuck could list his 12 volt system under Classified and donate the proceeds to Piers for a 6 month haulout to inspect??
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

By the way,
I looked at the website and read the favorable reviews. How
much does this system cost in US dollars?
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #13

It's a scam. They use false, misleading or premature testimonials to sell you scientifically unproven, expensive devices, that will ultimately NOT protect your hull, and will end up costing you a lot more.

I know this because I was involved with a distributor. The photographs I've seen... of barnacles, weed and worms... you have no idea how that plays on my conscience. Don't fall for it.
nocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #14

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Had a chat to a ultrasonic distributor at our recent boat show.
He said that you still had to use antifouling paint but claimed it will last longer! When I pointed out that the paint will still wear just as quickly and that he had just negated any economic benefit, he was stumped.
Cheers,
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #15

City: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
It is interesting that a Google search only returns thousands of press releases and posts in yachting groups where people ask each other if they know anything about this.

What is really telling is that the US Navy, which spends a fortune on antifouling, is seeking research into new methods which do not use TBT or other unacceptable chemicals. They have outlined the areas in which they are soliciting research ideas and believe it or not, ultrasonic or acoustic antifouling is not among the areas of interest.
Fleming Yachts has the Ultra sonic as an option - so I think that the technology has been proven right...
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I suspect this falls into the same category as Algex magnetic fuel conditioners and likewise apparatae. Yup, MILLIONS of satisfied users according to the manufacturer. Even if I got one of these systems FREE, I wouldn't install one.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searios View Post
Fleming Yachts has the Ultra sonic as an option - so I think that the technology has been proven right...
Since there seems to be two threads on this subject, i will repost my response here too...

Just because a manufacturer, no matter who they are, offers an "option" for there boats, isn't a positive reinforcement that the product works. It means the builder has something else to offer that you pay for. They claim "testing" but no indication of what the testing was. On any boat, especially a power vessel, if the boat is constantly on the move the bottom stays relatively clean. I have seen the ultrasonic units in REAL LIFE use since they were first introduced to the market several years ago and they do absolutely nothing to prevent fouling and depending on these units as a sole source of antifouling will actually make the situation worse since nothing is protecting the bottom. Adding them to a boat with antifouling paint and not getting any fouling just means the paint is working. I suspect the Fleming still comes with bottom paint. I might add that I have been in the marine service industry for 40 years. Chuck
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RTF and Chuck, I'm with you. A lot of boat builders offer AlgeX as an option and magnets in your fuel system do nothing. I bought into this scam back in the seventies. We sold a few and then had to refund the money when they didn't work.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
If ya really need to know before everybody in your marina has the system go to BoatDesign.net and see 2 threads on this. One has 129 posts.

And if this stuff/system did work there'd be perhaps nothing growing or alive within several miles of every marina in existence.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
If ya really need to know before everybody in your marina has the system go to BoatDesign.net and see 2 threads on this. One has 129 posts.

And if this stuff/system did work there'd be perhaps nothing growing or alive within several miles of every marina in existence.
There are lots of threads on that forum so finding the ones your referring to is a bit difficult. Chuck