Ultrasonic Anti-fouling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that it is 23 kHz that has proven to be "better" at discouraging the barna-things to attach. They don't discuss if they used 1000KW of power or 0.6milli watt to have an effect..(the article say 5 kPa but I don't know what kPa means - does anyone know what this means?)

I am pretty sure that the varying frequencies from the Disco will not have the same effect - whatever wattage is used..:nonono:

Last edited:
all I know is that my bottom gets enough vibration without me hiring someone to do it for me!:rofl:

I think that it is 23 kHz that has proven to be "better" at discouraging the barna-things to attach. They don't discuss if they used 1000KW of power or 0.6milli watt to have an effect..(the article say 5 kPa but I don't know what kPa means - does anyone know what this means?)

I am pretty sure that the varying frequencies from the Disco will not have the same effect - whatever wattage is used..:nonono:

kPa is kilopascal, a measure of pressure. They are using the sound waves to create a higher than ambient pressure. Dividing by 7 (0.145) approximates the value in psi.

Just had a chance to HEAR a very old ultra sonic antifoul system from Barnaclean - the system that was mentioned as attracting fish.... It is a very simple system and it comes with a timer switch, for stopping the system temporarily - say overnight...

It is very loud - ticking every 3-4 seconds...and it is a very distinct, short burst of energy. The noise will probably be much less in a hull..

I tried one transducer on a bucket of water, the transducer outside and a hand inside..The pressure waves were very easily felt and I can understand why critters or barnacles would not like these waves...not saying that it works, just that it is annoying for any living creature....thus the timer function...

Years ago I worked on a 92 metre processing trawler with ultrasonic transducers to pick up schools of fish at 1500 metres water depth. Serious units indeed and a whole lot more powerful than any recreational stuff. Every trip (9 week average) we had to clean bio fouling off the transducer face. Just saying.

Good point, does any regular users of transducers have critters or barnacles on their transducers?

Nightcap, was it just regular bio slime or were there any critters or barnacles?

Good point, does any regular users of transducers have critters or barnacles on their transducers?

Nightcap, was it just regular bio slime or were there any critters or barnacles?
Regular rec boat ransducers up to 1000 watt usually foul if everything else is fouling. I don't have any experience with the 3Kw and higher.

Last edited:
what I am getting from this discussion is that it seems like its the rhythmic vibration that attracts the fish, so maybe one should not replace the squeaky bed or belt. Could also be the frequency so one would have to play with that in order to ascertain the proper frequency for fish attraction????....to complicated for me gonna have a toonie

The Ultrasonic antifoul systems claims only to work on critters and barnacles - they do not claim to prevent slime or weed.....

on a different but similar vane, I had to work on a 15 years old pickup truck last week with one of those electronic anti corrosion modules installed that had been on vehicle since new and still showed the LED indicating it was working.Every nut bolt etc was corroded down to half size and the fuel lines were so corrode I was scared to touch them.Glad I did not waste my money on one of these units when I bought my old Ford 20 years ago.:hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom