Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Isn`t it the converse? If you are phoning him, you already chose to do or explore doing business with him. He`s rejecting your approach by ignoring your calls.
Service people have peaks and troughs in demand, we have to live with that. I SMS/text my shipwright rather than call, he can respond when he`s not down a bilge covered in mess or similar.
I once waited 6 weeks for my mechanic to fix a leaking rear gearbox oil seal, other times he`s on the job in 2-3 days. He couldn`t see my concerns, said the Velvet Drive works until it runs out of oil and if it does, top it up. Fortunately IGs have accommodating under engine and gearbox trays.
I understand peaks and valleys and waits. I don't accept not responding to phone calls or text messages or emails or whatever one has established as their preferred method of contact. Then if it's going to be six weeks, tell me that and meet whatever you commit to. By not returning a call, he is saying my business isn't important to him. You're right. And, if that's the case, I'm going elsewhere.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 AM   #22

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And, if that's the case, I'm going elsewhere.
No shortage of sh*t spanners around that'll pick up the phone on second ring, come down quickly and take a couple of grand from you.

Unfortunately good ones that are passionate about their magic are few and far between and have more work than they know what to do with.

Also many of the good ones are working out the mines earning real money, not tinkering around in boats.
I have a mate who is great and would work on them for rum if he was around but he is in Karatha somewhere earning big bucks.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
No shortage of sh*t spanners around that'll pick up the phone on second ring, come down quickly and take a couple of grand from you.

Unfortunately good ones that are passionate about their magic are few and far between and have more work than they know what to do with.

Also many of the good ones are working out the mines earning real money, not tinkering around in boats.
I have a mate who is great and would work on them for rum if he was around but he is in Karatha somewhere earning big bucks.
I admittedly don't know the Queensland or entire Australia maintenance and repair market, nor do you know the US so I do have a couple of questions. Are there no reputable boatyards in Australia? Are all the mechanics then independent, one man operations. I'm astonished that you say the good ones are working at other jobs earning real money. Good boat mechanics in the US are paid quite well.

The way I would be handling a similar issue in South Florida is to call the boatyard we use, one of many very competent yards in the area, and schedule with them. They would assign the work to one of their mechanics expert in that type work. All work would be done and come with a warranty on the service.

Do you attribute the good mechanics choosing to go into other fields to boat owners unwilling to pay at levels to support their businesses?

Curious as to what is the typical hourly rate billed for such work in Australia. In the US, it would be from a low of about $80 an hour to around $125 an hour in most areas. There are perhaps some independents still working for less but even they at least $50-60 per hour. Wages for marine mechanics range from about $40,000 to an upper level of $80,000 to $100,000 depending on location. Marine Engineers, on the other hand, earn on average $70,000 but ship engineers earn as much as $120,000. At the far upper end, one company in the offshore oil industry, pays it's licensed offshore engineers between $500 and $750 per day.

I apologize for taking this off topic, but was just trying to understand the need to use those who won't return phone calls. Notice I never once said anything about answering the phone when dialed or on the first ring as I did assume an independent mechanic would seldom do so, just that they would then return calls.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Marinas here have variable forms of operation but one business enterprise covering all areas by employing a variety of trades would be unusual.
Commonly there is a group of more or less independent businesses operating onsite as tenants. There could be all or any of the following: mechanics,slipway/haulout operators,shipwrights,electrical, detailers,trimmers, broker, etc, operating within the Marina umbrella, with a variety of arrangements between Marina and individual businesses.I`ve heard of marinas charging tenant businesses a turnover/billings percentage charge. The better the various businesses work together by referring work the more seamless the operation becomes and the better they do.
Whether those businesses are one man, much larger, or in between, varies enormously.Some may bring in extra labor for bigger or special jobs.
Some marine related businesses do not operate out of a marina or even a waterfront location. Reputation and ability will sustain good operators. My marine refrigeration contractor is a prime example, based nowhere near the water but they are mobile reliable competent experts.
Good people are usually busy, but worth waiting for.They are busy because they are good. Charge out rates of $80ph plus is about right, but again, variable. If you develop a good relationship, pay your bills promptly, you get looked after. And try to plan big jobs for the off season, not in Spring when everyone is trying to get their boat ready for the season.
Simi will find someone to fix his gearbox issues if he cannot do it himself. I suspect C lectric is on the right track.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
. I suspect C lectric is on the right track.
Losing oil through the gearbox heat exchanger?

Looked everywhere, pretty sure it doesn't have one.
If it does it is not mounted anywhere obvious and not like the pictures of ones that do.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #26
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Follow the hydraulic lines. There should be a cooler in that loop. On some commercial grade engines the gear cooler is mounted in the engine coolant circuit.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #27

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Or it could be in the gear itself. Some of the bigger TD gears have a exchanger bundle internal. If you don't have hydraulic hoses to a cooler maybe raw water hoses going into the gear?
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
I looked but could not find an online manual for the 516 but for an even larger gear, the 6447.

The 6447 heat exchanger is built in to the gear case.

My 506 has an external cooler.

Any hydraulicly operated gear will have a heat exchanger, internal or external as they produce lots of heat and must be cooled.

Be sure and get it tested. You just have to find it.

Do you have a manual for your gear? If not then I would contact T.D. for one. Failing that then try online through e-bay although it may take a while. From your repair shop or engine supplier?
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:21 AM   #29

Had the mechanic I have been chasing turn up today on a Sunday.
Motor got the big thumbs up, got a tune up, nothing to see move along.
Gearbox thoroughly checked and found a leak that I can fix, take of a plate at back and re seal but there is another that'll require the back of the box and some gears to be removed to do properly and cost a cupla grand, but its only weeping, not dripping so he reckons no rush, it'll never let me down while it has oil and it takes 30 litres so not as if it'll lose it. Easier to set a tray to collect any drips.
He would not hesitate to take it on an extended voyage as is, with a spare container of oil.

The 15 litre lack of oil has been put down to the previous owner being clueless, I spoke to him and he admitted he had no idea how to check it.
The lack of pressure registering on the gauge in fwd gear is put down to faulty gauge, no pressure would be no fwd gear and it definitely has fwd and reverse gear, big time.

So I am happy
Old 08-28-2016, 02:29 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Good news, practical advice.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote