Treatment for black plastic rub strip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Underway

Guru
The black plastic between the chrome rub strip and the hull is difficult to keep looking "black". I just tried Woody Wax, which seems to work, but I wonder if anyone has a less expensive home brew that penetrates and protects. "Goop" hand cleaner seems to penetrate and bring the black back, but it doesn't last very long... Thanks

Armor all???? Keeps the black plastic on my truck looking new as well as my black ABD fly bridge skirt.

Just make sure you don't use it on glues together products.

If Woody Wax does what you want it to do, I suggest that you keep on using it. I have tried just about every product on the market (except Woody Wax) and nothing is bringing my black rub rail back to black.

I remember many, many years ago you could buy black tire paint in auto parts stores. I can't find it now so it probably had some good chemicals in it that have been outlawed by the EPA.

A damp rag w/acetone will bring it back to black and then treat with Armor All to keep it that way.

I'll try the acetone/Armor All method. But that plastic is so hard and slick it seems that Armor All won't penetrate to any extent. Yes, in spite of the expense, I guess I'll stay with the Woody Wax if that doesn't work. Thanks all.

If this is the hard black plastic material that has now turned gray, I have used MEK to get the black back if it hasn't gone too far.

I just closed on my new 10 yo Nordic Tug 42 and it has a substantial rubrail out of this material that is completely gray now. I asked a detailer to make it black and his method is to wet sand it with I assume a very fine sandpaper, perhaps 600 or better to retain the shine.

On my previous boat, which had this material, I found I had go over it monthly with a car product (can't remember the name) or the gray would start to show. I think a good wax would do just as well and that is what I plan to do with the new boat.

Not all plastic will respond and depends on damage from UV or bending/stress...but many that have started turning from UV will go black again with replacing the plasticizers....thus Armor-all turns some of mine back to black after a couple thorough soakings.

I just closed on my new 10 yo Nordic Tug 42 and it has a substantial rubrail out of this material that is completely gray now. I asked a detailer to make it black and his method is to wet sand it with I assume a very fine sandpaper, perhaps 600 or better to retain the shine.

Congrats on the new boat Ron.

I restore plastic headlight lenses in similar fashion. I power sand the entire lens with an orbital sander and 320 grit paper until all oxidation has been removed. Followed by two hand wet sandings with 600 and 1000 grit paper. Power buff once with cut compound and then a final buff with normal compound.

Procedure takes me 30 minutes on the car and can easily be maintained afterward.

After initial power sanding
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406222027.583687.jpg

Final product
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1406222079.267945.jpg

No amount of magic potion in a container can ever replace elbow grease for dealing with oxidation.

I'm no chemist, but I know from personal experience that acetone will permanently stain some plastics (especially vinyl) and cause it to go "gooey." I was afraid to use MEK on my PVC dinghy, but that's what the adhesive instructions said to do, and it cleaned without doing any apparent damage. So maybe that's the answer. Still, I'd try an inconspicuous spot, first. And of course apply something to protect it, 303 or wax or whatever.

I've had good luck on materials like rub rails with a product called "back to black", sold for tires in the big-box stores, but the effect doesn't last long in direct sunlight. You'd probably need to re-apply monthly or even more often.

Walmart sells a Bondo product called something like "Black Restore" in the automotive department. It is meant for restoring the black to pick up bed liners. I used it on my 42' Nordic Tug. Put on two coats using a small foam brush, not the applicator the comes with it. Each treatment will last a couple of years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom