Transom Patch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvd

Vessel Name
BOOSTER
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
I had a transom shower setup which had a broken hatch, cracked fiberglass casing and a faucet that constantly leaked. Since I *never have, and probably never will take a shower on my swim step, I ripped everything out. I am now left with a hole in my transom measuring about 16" square. I figure the easiest way to cover this defect is to put a piece of 1/4 inch FRP panel over it, but I can't find any G10/F4 panel with a smoth surface, preferably with a white gel coat surface (although I could just paint it if it's a smooth surface). I don't want Starboard since it cannot be painted. The FRP panels that are available from McMaster/Grainger/etc. have a random fiber pattern on the surface and are not smooth. Anyone have a source for a smooth 1/4" FRP panel around 24" X 24"?*

Thanks,

dvd

I would just make one with a little gel coat and some glass...but if you go to a marina...boat builder..marine electronics installer....*you can usually find scraps where someone is adding a tackle locker or electronics.

How about white plexiglass?* Either way it's still gonna look like a patch unless you put some kind of other access cover over it to make it look like it's supposed to be there.

Make your own the exact size you want. Form up a simple mold on a flat surface (4 pieces of scrap lumber), line it with wax paper. Mix some white pigment into the resin and lay up a couple layers of cloth in the resin. As my father used to say - Q E D. If you want to get really fancy, pour a shallow layer of gelcoat first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom