Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Diver installed Zincs

About 2 years ago we paid a diver in Kemah to replace our block zinc and install zincs on the prop shafts. While inspecting the hull when swimming around the boat last summer with a mask I noticed that the block was not corroded at all and also there were no zincs mounted to the shafts. No area on the shaft had ever been cleaned for a zinc.I have noticed fuel tank fittings, etc. on the boat have been changing color over the last year- making me think the bonding system was not working correctly. I have checked the connections where they entered the transom and continued on with no problem found.
During a haulout/ survey last month we got the old girl in the air and had to wait a couple of hours for the surveyor who was late. I studied everything I could under the waterline and then studied the zinc block also. What I found was corrosion between the SS flat washers and the block. Apparently it was not cleaned when the diver bolted it on. I cleaned and scraped the mounting areas and cleaned off the mounting hardware and tightened with a 3/4" wrench. I am not sure that having zincs replaced by a diver is the best way to go. Hopefully this will take care of the bonding issue.
Attached Thumbnails
dscf5988.jpg   dscf5990.jpg   dscf5993.jpg   dscf5991.jpg  
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Diver installed Zincs

"A diver" It all depends on the diver doesn't it? Please try to keep the slights to a group slightly smaller then thousands of individuals. I don't even know how to respond civilly to a comment so ridiculous.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Guru

Well sorry DO, let me clarify. A gentleman driving a commercial vehicle advertising his DIVING business was paid by me to DIVE under my vessel and professionally (that means he gets paid for his services) replace my expired zinc and install two shaft zincs. Being that I didn't DIVE under there with him, I had to assume that he did his job in a proficient manner. Until I learned otherwise.
Personally I thought that maybe someone on the board could learn from my experience. Better?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Diver installed Zincs

Yes better. The bottom line to be learned is yes if you can't see the results of someones work then you have to trust them. Always know who your dealing with. "Caveat Imper". A guy under your boat can do lots of harm ie: No or improperly installed zinks, scratch through gel coat when cleaning, etc.. We only use a dive service that is local and has been doing work for many years. You might want to follow up with the diver's insurance company. On a side note I would have someone dive on that rudder/gear a lot more often if your moving the boat any. That much growth is costing you a lot more then the diver.

Sorry I got p@#$%& but righteous indignation is just too hard to resist sometimes.

-- Edited by Daddyo on Saturday 6th of February 2010 08:48:56 AM
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Guru

First of all two year old zincs will definitely be gone and no trace left of their presence if they are doing their job, so this is probably no indication of the divers reputation, but of the owners lack of maintenance. The zincs that show no evidence of deterioration are another indication that a problem has been neglected. I am not saying zincs can't last two years but it would mean everything on your boat, all of your neighbors boats, and the dock you are tied to is perfect. Not likely. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

How long do zincs last in your area marina and how long do you think zincs should last?* I have a diver check and clean the hull and check the zincs every 6 months** If the zincs showed no sign of wear that would be hint that something was wrong. So you can blame it on the diver but you should have had the zincs check on*regular bases.

I*also have my diver check the zincs of the boats around me to see how they are wearing and or need replacment.* Besides checking the zncsI check for stray electricity, amps and volts.* If higher than the marina average/norm then its time to go hunting.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Guru

DO, apology accepted. We moved the ship to a slip on a fresh water slip on a river in Louisiana shortly after this installation and I guess I felt for a while that the change in salinity minimized the material loss. My bad. We did scrape the running gear and rudders while out of the water. Surveyor says I can get at least another year out of the ablative bottom paint- so I plan on being out of the water again on a year. It appears the same bottom paint was used on the hull and running gear. Seems I have read that this should not be?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Fresh water?* Well that might explain it as fresh water does not conduct electricity. We go 5+ years on the bottom boat and zincs when in fresh water.****So maybe things are OK after all. *So how long does the bottom paint and zincs last on other boats around you?*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
Guru

Phil,
We are currently at a very small marina near the Mississippi coast and I'm not really sure how long others are getting. A dock neighbor recently told me he checked the marina for stray electricity and all was well.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Well that might explain it as fresh water does not conduct electricity.

Fresh water DOES conduct electric , If you wish come to our dock , and go foe a swim while I drop a 120 or 220V lead in the water.

Or just fill the bubble bath , and take your AC radio with ya!

Most boats in FW will not use zincs , there , magnesium is the metal for protection.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote