Tools and where to put them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did someone say... toolbox?

Attachments

• laz1-4189877.jpg
    laz1-4189877.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 86
“Actually, the compressor is fine where it is (in the ER) as I have enough hose to reach anywhere on the boat and I DO love my air tools...Which are stowed in a lidded bin in the guest cabin on the starboard side locker...”

RT be interested to know what kind of air compressor you carry on board? Sounds very handy. Is it driving your horns?

My Hatteras came OEM with an engine driven compressor and a pretty big tank conveniently mounted in one of the ERs. Very handy for all kinds of things. I'd very much prefer an electric one independent of the engines though, and switching to that, using the existing tank and plumbing was on The List.

Janice,

You have a challenger with that cute small trawler you have, but you seem to be extremely organized and handy. When are you coming to the Legion again? Been looking for you.

For me, I have about 8 to 10 places for tools depending on where they are needed and how frequently. My "go to" box has all the basic stuff of the day to day minor tweaks, including my meter. I have a tool bag for bigger things, and for bigger things yet, I store them in a cabinet or drawer. All the consumables, hardware, wiring, etc are stored in plastic containers. the light weight stuff like filters, belts, etc and in a box on the flybridge.

I built a box with compartments over the rudder which give a lot of space for parts, oil, etc in the lazarette.

I also have a written directory of where everything is. So, if I search for 18g red wire, or a #8 truss head, 1.5 in long screw, I know where it is.

Ya just can't have too many tools.

The "can't have too many tools" is accurate. A friend said that anyone could borrow a tool once. If they needed it twice however, that borrower needed to buy his own. I find that quite accurate.

Years ago I had a friend drill out a 1" hole for me so I could mount a cigarette lighter. A few years after that I bought my own set of paddle bits for the next cigarette lighter installs.

Having a system that tells you where items are is a great idea. It is amazing how often I manage to lose something in just 23'. Those of you with bigger boats have even more places to look.

Over the years I have changed the location of items. I am better at remembering where items While doing that I ended up sorting out the mixed ones back into their proper homes. I had 6x32's, 8x32's, 10x24's plus of course 1/4 20's, 5/16ths and even a 3/8th's out of place. Now all are back in their particular spice jars.

I have TWO jars of 8x32's. One set of fifty with nuts and washers is for a project. The other though , well that is a bonus. I do need to get with that little job.

Side note: As to heading over to the American Legion...
I'm waiting for the weather to improve. I hate cold, wet weather. And now that the red tide has abated, I'm ready to have some nice away from the dock time. I saw a sister ship to yours over by Sea Breeze restaurant in that little cove today on the way back from Seminole UPS store.

I'd love to meet your Better Half too next time.

I can't see getting over there until after Christmas but who knows? Maybe this wet system will go away sooner.

Last edited:
The most useful thing I has was a tool bag containing the basics. With that bag I could do 80-90% if all jobs. It’s contents will naturally evolve to meet your needs. Things I was using frequently stayed, and others were rejected.

Other tools were kept in various tool boxes fit in various locations.

Parts and supplies were more or less organized and kept is a wide variety of plastic bins, drawers, cabinets, and pets boxes typically used for fishing gear.

I did have one stack of finetool parts drawers. They are very nice, but silly expensive so I limited their use. Stackable, divided parts bins are probably a better solution.

I have only two locations for all my tools. I started with organizing the lazarette but found it to be "bothersome" when I needed something fast.(move the cockpit chairs, open the deck hatch to the lazaretto, climb down, etc.)

I then had a tackle center made for the cockpit which wound up being my "go to" tool center. (I don't fish that much anymore.)

Now, when I need a tool, tape, propane can, etc. the "tool center is right outside the salon door.

Projects are much easier (and faster) to start & finish.:blush:

Attachments

• Tackle Center.jpg
    Tackle Center.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 63
  • open drawers.jpg
    open drawers.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 54
First, I might suggest paring down your tool inventory to what you might actually use. There are a great many tools that one would use so rarely that it would be cheaper to hire someone or rent them than carry them aboard.
That being said, we do 96% of our own work and carry tools to do that, up to and including a Porta Power.
I've separated the tools basically by use. Those used on a regular basis are in a nice plastic tool box in the engine room (it is about 80#). Those used infrequently are stowed under a salon settee and those used very rarely, like the Porta Power, are well stowed away and much more difficult to get to. All our tools are stowed in plastic containers or tool boxes.

Most tools are kept in two rubber-plastic like Stanley tool boxes in the engine room with spare parts and larger tools in sealable plastic bins. I also have a socket and wrench set that is in its own similar case. I've had no problems with rusting or corrosion. I do keep the power tools in a closet in the salon to avoid any moisture problems. A Mainship 34 is not that large so we are efficient in what we carry.

Coming from a large garage, with car and motorcycle lifts, and associated large tool boxes - the boat we just bought just doesn't have enough room to move tool boxes into. What creative methods have you done to accommodate tools and parts in your engine rooms or lazarette?

Pics would be appreciated to give me a better understanding of the creativity amongst this group. Thanks!

If you cant put them all in a couple of bags, the problem is finding them again.

Greetings,
I've never been too much of a bag man. Tool boxes and bins for the most part. I do admit, bags can be easier to stow in odd shaped places but they always seem to get caught up when removed from said odd shaped places.

A couple of other things...Pretty well the ONLY tool I keep readily at hand is a multi-bit screwdriver. It's in the "junk drawer" along with the weasel traps, the lacrosse sticks and the Norden bomb sight spares...

My MO for repairs is gather tools and materials and put them in a tote to be carried to the repair area. Upon completion, everything goes back to storage via the tote. One advantage of the tote is any garbage that is generated (wire bits, wood chips etc.) goes into the tote and I don't have to carry around a separate trash can unless I make a real mess...

th

Last edited:
Tool Storage

I kept too many tools as a full timer without a dirt house. This was easy considering the crazy amount of storage afforded by the 37' Great Harbour N-37 with it's standup engine room, large alleys, and huge bosun locker ( referred to as our basement)..This is not fair and didn't really require much clever creativity considering how much room there is on a N-37.

Attachments

• Bosun Locker entrance.jpg
    Bosun Locker entrance.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 57
  • engine rm door access.jpg
    engine rm door access.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 69
  • engine rm port foreward.jpg
    engine rm port foreward.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 63
  • engine rm foreward port.jpg
    engine rm foreward port.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Bosun locker port.jpg
    Bosun locker port.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 62
  • bosun locker strb.jpg
    bosun locker strb.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 64
Sit down and think hard at what you ready need. Not a whole socket set, !/4 -3/4 , just the ones you can use. I sat down and did just that and found that I didn't need 6 - 9/16 or 4 -5/8 sockets just two of each 3/8 and 3/4 drives. Go thru your boxes and figure it out.

Slightly relocating the lift muffler for the gen opened up enough space for this tool box. It's been nice to have the tools more consolidated.

I keep flash lights, a multi-bit driver, crescent wrench, pliers and knife top side in the grab and go drawer. Anything to do with wire management / terminations are kept in a separate soft side bag in the ER as well. All wood prep tools such as cabinet scrapers, flush cut saw, sand paper etc reside in a tote in the bottom of one of the aft cabin lockers.

The whole storage process is one of periodic re-examination and refinement....you guys are living it too.

A Merry Christmas and great 2019 to all!

Attachments

• Boat Tools.jpg
    Boat Tools.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 57
One other thing I forgot to mention... everywhere I have tools or parts I also have a pair of Dollar Tree eyeglasses and a small flashlight. That way, I don't get down there and have to stand up and look around for light and sight.

GlassesAndFlashlight-ToolLocker.jpg

I probably have at least a half-dozen pairs of glasses stashed about the boat, plus more flashlights -- the ones from Harbor Freight are "free" with purchase (and a coupon). It is handy to be able to illuminate the nether regions of lockers.

FlashlightInPowerLocker.jpg

I also keep a spare flashlight in the port locker of my cockpit -- that locker holds both my Stop Anchor and the 30 amp outlet for power. I cut a circle in the front facing of the locker seat, for the power cord to run through. There's also piece of fiberglass that fits over the hole to close it off from rain.

And yes, I'm aware that is a 15A cord -- there isn't 30A out where I'm at presently.

I have enough flashlights but need more cheaters. Great reminder Janice!

I am jealous of you folks with the extra room for tool boxes and bins.

Angus,

This is definitely a thread drift but perhaps more important than where to store tools. I note the plaque with your documentation number in your engine room. When I was inspected by the CG AUX they pointed out that my documentation number was not preceded by "No." It should read:
"No. 950480." They told me the fine could be as much as $10K. I don't see the logic however I ordered a new plaque. :confused:

As a CCGA inspector, (now RCMSAR) my quibble with his plaque would be the obvious ease of removal. In Canada, the ON950480 should be "carved into the main beam" where it obviously isn't going to be changed or moved.

Which is more important, finding a place to store the tools or finding the tools after you stored them?

All great ideas thus far, I really like the idea of stowing jobs specific tools in the areas they will be needed. And cheater glasses and flashlights spread throughout the boat is wise.

Sorting out the not-needed tools from my collection will be a process but I will follow the advise and only keep pertinent tools onboard.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and wisdom!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom