Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I also have way too many tools, mostly hand tools, on board BUT I rationalize it by "the right tool for the job" mantra. Yup, I suppose I could get by with a BFH and a pair of vice grips but, been there, done that and I do have the room (at least I keep telling myself I do). I suppose if I were to do it all over, a kit as mentioned by Mr. tt and one of these would suffice...
Sears.com
Oh, just saw Mr. F's post. Yes, air tools and a small compressor on board as well...
Old 09-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #22
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Sorry to mislead you RTF. I meant to say air tools for the shop and service vans. Not on the boat. Though I do keep a small compressor in the dock box for airing up bike tires.
I would love a small compressor in the engine room though. Anybody have one set up??

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #23
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Mark-I too have a big hammer, and I found an old RR spike. So, now when I get really frustrated trying to fix something, I take the hammer and try to pound the spike into the piling on the dock. So far, I have it about halfway in! Great way to relieve the frustration!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:57 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Sorry to mislead you RTF. I meant to say air tools for the shop and service vans. Not on the boat. Though I do keep a small compressor in the dock box for airing up bike tires.
I would love a small compressor in the engine room though. Anybody have one set up??

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Yes I have a pancake one from harbour Freight mounted in the same place I removed a AC compressor
Old 09-06-2015, 04:44 AM   #25
Guru

I recently installed a self contained unit in place of an old split AC unit. Now the mechanicals are all in a salon locker giving me a space to mount a small compressor. Man that would be sweet to have installed in the ER .

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #26
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. F. Wasn't misled regarding the air tools on your boat but your post reminded me that I do, in fact, have air on board. It's a very small compressor and only supplies enough for a 15 second burst or so with a die grinder but as you know, the beauty of air tools outweighs the bother of waiting for the air tank to re-charge. It's not mounted in the ER as of yet but I do have the perfect place for it....It's on the "to do" list.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #27
FF
Guru

The battery powered tools do a fine job for most small stuff.

One caution on 120V tools , saw , 1/2 in drill is to purchase units with brushes AC/DC "universal" style as they work far better with a cheap square wave inverter.

The lower power from the inverter just seems a lower voltage to the tool, so it does not overheat , just works a bit less hard.

Helps with a tiny noisemaker too. Under about 10KW or so.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If you have a MSW inverter be careful as to the battery operated tools you buy. The Craftsman 19.2 v battery charger is damaged by MSWs.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #29
Guru

City: gulf coast
I started with both SAE and metric wrenches and sockets for every size I might encounter. Don't forget` deep sockets. Make sure to have multiple extensions, swivels are a big help too. Hacksaw and blades are often useful. Metal chisels and hammer.
Then as I did work on the boat I added whatever tools I needed to the onboard kit. Found that I needed Battery powered tools didn't work for me because they were always dead except for the battery screwdriver that I kept plugged in, a most useful tool if you add sockets to fit the hose clamp nuts.

Next add electrical wire tools and connectors.

To the wrenches etc add a multi meter, a photo tachometer and a IR temp gauge. Just get the cheap ones they seem to work fine.

Filter wrenches for all your filters are a good idea. After a while I never had to get off the boat to get a tool to do any work.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Battery powered tools didn't work for me because they were always dead except for the battery screwdriver that I kept plugged in, a most useful tool if you add sockets to fit the hose clamp nuts.

The coolest clamp removal and installation tool you can ever own is a 2' long 1/4" extension (HF may carry now which is fine) a 1/4" ratchet and a short 5/16" socket. By far the best way to remove traditional worm gear clamps. Actually to sweeten it more spring for a name brand 1/4" drive 5/16" chrome swivel socket. Oh yea...
Most all hose clamps we deal with are 5/16 (8mm). Occasionally small clamps may need a 1/4" socket.
Most "T" clamps require a 7/16 deep socket. This is where you can use your 3/8 HF air ratchet after installing the engine room compressor- at least for short bursts.

Check this Craftsman rig out- it's the same little oil lubed compressor that is branded Husky and others- generally with a 2 gallon tank I think. I have the small version. And other than a common leak on the plastic crankcase cover (which now looks metal) it is reasonably quiet and can operate a small HVLP spray gun run continuously. Quite a package for less than $100.
And I found this today after RTF started boasting about how much extra room in the engine compartment he has and how he ALREADY had a compressor....

So for a little more you get a proven compressor assembly and a 10 gallon tank. This will run a bit to pump up- but it may be able to run a 1/2" IR impact the 20 seconds it takes to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. Or use an air ratchet to remove your intake bolts. I want one. Just gotta submit a request to the Admiral for funding. This may take a while ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441567477.160382.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	44191

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I had all kinds of ratchets and socket sets on the Hatt when we were cruising and living aboard full time. 90% of the time I just used my set of stubby Gear wrenches. Virtually all the many drawers and the closet in the forward stateroom was for tools. While many of the tools were very seldom used, I was sure grateful I had them when needed. Remember, the definition of cruising is "fixing your boat in exotic places".

BTW, I used a T handle nut driver for hose clamps, or a gear wrench. AWAB clamps are 7mm. Cheapo perforated clamps are 5/16.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #32
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. F. Boasting?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #33
Guru

George- the Admiral has given the nod on my utilizing said drawers, lockers and under bunk storage in the front stateroom why only a fortnight ago myself. My under achieving/ over thinking mind is practically whirling with the possibilities!! I'm still pondering different hidden receivers I could engineer to secure a bench vice when needed!! .

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #34

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I carry the basic wrench/screwdriver/plier set up, plus a hammer banger...but..I also purchased a Ryobi kit...comes with a sawsall, circular saw, drill, flashlight, and a few other things that all run on the same 18v battery...and it has 2 of those. It all comes in 1 convenient carry case and takes very little room..I keep mine in a forward bilge space....I also live aboard. If you're interested, I can find/send you the link.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #35

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Air tools and a compressor...

I thought I would throw this out there for those of you who enjoy using your air tools (I'm one of them) on your boat without the need to have a big compressor on board.

Backing up a bit... In my younger days one of my many hobby's was racing cars and with that I used air tools extensively both at the shop and while at the track. At the shop using a compressor was the obvious choice but while at the track having to bring everything needed for race night (tools, pit mule, spare engine/parts/tires, etc. etc) in a car hauler trailer and or the back of a truck pretty much filled up all the available space. Then having to add a compressor to the already very long list of items needed for race night was over the top. So, to get around having to lug a large compressor to the track, I powered all of my air tools with a large bottle/tank of nitrogen, the same bottle I used to fill my tires on the race car.

What I'm getting at is that on a boat, just like in my car hauler, sufficient space is often times very limited so my solution to not having to bring aboard a large compressor (along with its incorporated storage tank) to power my air tools will be to use compressed air stored in scuba tanks. Since my boat is already spec'd to include a Bauer electric compressor to fill my scuba tanks this seems to be the perfect solution and this way I can kill two birds with one stone... Scuba dive and power my air tools.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #36
Guru

City: gulf coast
Agree 1/4" drive set is important yet having every socket and swivel my go to toll for clamps is my electric screw driver with socket.

I had a three drawer tool box next to the ER. really stuffed but very convenient except for non er work. That required a separate small tool box. []
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #37

City: louisiana
Carry a set of "wobble" ratchet extension bars. It allows about 30deg off axis drive for a socket and does not have the disadvantage of a bulky 'U' joint on top of the socket. I can't recall the last time I have used a 'U' joint adapter but I use wigglers all the time.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #38
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Found that I needed Battery powered tools didn't work for me because they were always dead except for the battery screwdriver that I kept plugged in
I too finally gave up on using battery powered tools. I had to use the inverter to charge the so what was the point? Might as well have something that could be used right away.

Eventually, after pulling out my drill umpteen times and finding it dead, I went to Harbor Freight. For $10 I bought a drill that works. It's not fancy however for now, it is Good Enough.

I bought a soldering iron there too because of a Hella anchor light I found and fixed. I need to attach permanently the wire that was loose. Someone threw away a $100+ light, apparently without taking it apart to see what was wrong.

And now I'll have a spiffy new light for my Algae. For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post

I'm still pondering different hidden receivers I could engineer to secure a bench vice when needed!! .
I had a smaller vise that attached to the dinette via a modified suction cup. It didn't work well and was passed along to someone else.

Another I have uses a clamp much like a modified C-clamp. It's a miniature (used for my crafting) however the following picture might give you an idea Forkliftt.

As for me, I've a yearning for a bench grinder and a lathe too. I've got no real use for either except for fun. There are limits to what can be fit in 23' don't 'cha know?!?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #39
Guru

Janet- that's true. A lathe. Now realy .
That is a great idea on the vice. And plenty rugged enough for what I need. Now I'm withya big time on the bench grinder. I though I saw one on sale in a flyer for HB once?? Would LOVE one of those!! Wire brush on one side.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #40
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. F. Don't limit yourself to having a vice mounted on a horizontal surface. I've seen them mounted on walls and even upside down (the last is a bit of a pain to use but a vice is a vice). Some years ago I bought a 3" bench grinder on sale at HF for $7. Yup, grinder on one side, wire wheel on the other. Has absolutely no "guts" but I've used it for touching up cheap chisels and de-gunking screw threads. Good god it's $29 now! Must have been really some years ago... 3" Mini Tool Grinder/Polisher