Tools aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had all kinds of ratchets and socket sets on the Hatt when we were cruising and living aboard full time. 90% of the time I just used my set of stubby Gear wrenches. Virtually all the many drawers and the closet in the forward stateroom was for tools. While many of the tools were very seldom used, I was sure grateful I had them when needed. Remember, the definition of cruising is "fixing your boat in exotic places".

BTW, I used a T handle nut driver for hose clamps, or a gear wrench. AWAB clamps are 7mm. Cheapo perforated clamps are 5/16.

Greetings,
Mr. F. Boasting?
giphy.gif

;)
George- the Admiral has given the nod on my utilizing said drawers, lockers and under bunk storage in the front stateroom why only a fortnight ago myself. My under achieving/ over thinking mind is practically whirling with the possibilities!! I'm still pondering different hidden receivers I could engineer to secure a bench vice when needed!! :).

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I carry the basic wrench/screwdriver/plier set up, plus a hammer banger...but..I also purchased a Ryobi kit...comes with a sawsall, circular saw, drill, flashlight, and a few other things that all run on the same 18v battery...and it has 2 of those. It all comes in 1 convenient carry case and takes very little room..I keep mine in a forward bilge space....I also live aboard. If you're interested, I can find/send you the link.

Air tools and a compressor...

I thought I would throw this out there for those of you who enjoy using your air tools (I'm one of them) on your boat without the need to have a big compressor on board.

Backing up a bit... In my younger days one of my many hobby's was racing cars and with that I used air tools extensively both at the shop and while at the track. At the shop using a compressor was the obvious choice but while at the track having to bring everything needed for race night (tools, pit mule, spare engine/parts/tires, etc. etc) in a car hauler trailer and or the back of a truck pretty much filled up all the available space. Then having to add a compressor to the already very long list of items needed for race night was over the top. So, to get around having to lug a large compressor to the track, I powered all of my air tools with a large bottle/tank of nitrogen, the same bottle I used to fill my tires on the race car.

What I'm getting at is that on a boat, just like in my car hauler, sufficient space is often times very limited so my solution to not having to bring aboard a large compressor (along with its incorporated storage tank) to power my air tools will be to use compressed air stored in scuba tanks. Since my boat is already spec'd to include a Bauer electric compressor to fill my scuba tanks this seems to be the perfect solution and this way I can kill two birds with one stone... Scuba dive and power my air tools.

Agree 1/4" drive set is important yet having every socket and swivel my go to toll for clamps is my electric screw driver with socket.

I had a three drawer tool box next to the ER. really stuffed but very convenient except for non er work. That required a separate small tool box. [:D]

Carry a set of "wobble" ratchet extension bars. It allows about 30deg off axis drive for a socket and does not have the disadvantage of a bulky 'U' joint on top of the socket. I can't recall the last time I have used a 'U' joint adapter but I use wigglers all the time.

Found that I needed Battery powered tools didn't work for me because they were always dead except for the battery screwdriver that I kept plugged in

I too finally gave up on using battery powered tools. I had to use the inverter to charge the so what was the point? Might as well have something that could be used right away.

Eventually, after pulling out my drill umpteen times and finding it dead, I went to Harbor Freight. For $10 I bought a drill that works. It's not fancy however for now, it is Good Enough.

I bought a soldering iron there too because of a Hella anchor light I found and fixed. I need to attach permanently the wire that was loose. Someone threw away a $100+ light, apparently without taking it apart to see what was wrong.

And now I'll have a spiffy new light for my Algae. For free.

;)
I'm still pondering different hidden receivers I could engineer to secure a bench vice when needed!! :).

I had a smaller vise that attached to the dinette via a modified suction cup. It didn't work well and was passed along to someone else.

Another I have uses a clamp much like a modified C-clamp. It's a miniature (used for my crafting) however the following picture might give you an idea Forkliftt.

MiniatureVise.jpg

As for me, I've a yearning for a bench grinder and a lathe too. I've got no real use for either except for fun. There are limits to what can be fit in 23' don't 'cha know?!?

Janet- that's true. A lathe. Now realy ;).
That is a great idea on the vice. And plenty rugged enough for what I need. Now I'm withya big time on the bench grinder. I though I saw one on sale in a flyer for HB once?? Would LOVE one of those!! Wire brush on one side.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,
Mr. F. Don't limit yourself to having a vice mounted on a horizontal surface. I've seen them mounted on walls and even upside down (the last is a bit of a pain to use but a vice is a vice). Some years ago I bought a 3" bench grinder on sale at HF for $7. Yup, grinder on one side, wire wheel on the other. Has absolutely no "guts" but I've used it for touching up cheap chisels and de-gunking screw threads. Good god it's $29 now! Must have been really some years ago... 3" Mini Tool Grinder/Polisher
giphy.gif

I wish I had a pair of vicegrip type thingies with bike chain between the 2 arms, for clamping on and adjusting the stern glands Halvorsen thoughtfully positioned under (port) the HW tank and (stbd) the 8D batts. I saw a guy use them once, absolute magic.
Oh, and we once had a guy onboard who was a real tool, he got banned.

Greetings,
Mr. F. Don't limit yourself to having a vice mounted on a horizontal surface. I've seen them mounted on walls and even upside down (the last is a bit of a pain to use but a vice is a vice). Some years ago I bought a 3" bench grinder on sale at HF for $7. Yup, grinder on one side, wire wheel on the other. Has absolutely no "guts" but I've used it for touching up cheap chisels and de-gunking screw threads. Good god it's $29 now! Must have been really some years ago... 3" Mini Tool Grinder/Polisher
giphy.gif

Holy Toledo Batman! That's it!! Janice and I could do well with that I bet. Even with low power, I still would be great for what I need it for.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Two items I use a lot and not previously mentioned: 1) Straight cut aviation snips, and 2) butane "micro-torch".

Back
Top Bottom