Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #101
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A great alternative (I have found them to be really just the same in power) is the bucket top vacs available at Lowes. Mine was $19 and fits all sizes and shapes of 5 gallon pails. I have 3 and 5 gallon pails for all sorts of uses that are available if need be...but one dry and one wet just for the vac.

That way one doesn't get all muddy if I switch over. One is a little on the oily side so it gets the really nasty vacuum jobs as well as any oil jobs.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #102
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Jeffnick, very clever and nicely done. The plug and tool are right where you need them. How is the holder fastened to the transom?
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #103
Scraping Paint

City: -
We have two small Sears wet/dry shop vacs. When you have the breed of dog we have the vacuum cleaner becomes the most important item on the boat. We have two because one is set up with a filter bag and the other is set up with no bag for vacuuming the bilge dry or sucking up water spilled during plumbing projects and whatnot.

A tool we are getting this weekend is a proper rigging knife. The Leatherman Wave I wear on my belt has a very good serrated line cutting blade but we've found that something with a line blade, a marlin spike, and a shackle key would be very handy to have on occasion. After doing considerable research we've decided to get a folding rigging knife from Myerchin.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #104
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Marin, I have had this one for 6 years:

http://shop.myerchin.com/images/1338...524338761.jpeg

Pretty nice, but the unlock method has to be done carefully.

I do like that bucket vac idea, but no reason to change now, I like the portability factor, though been a few times when I wish I had that 5 gallon capacity; we have a small upright vac for most "dry" vacuuming.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #105
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

I do like that bucket vac idea, but no reason to change now, I like the portability factor, though been a few times when I wish I had that 5 gallon capacity; we have a small upright vac for most "dry" vacuuming.
Supposedly Myerchin has a second generation out now that features an improved one-hand open and lock feature.

The shop vacs we have are the small Sears model, just 2 gallons I think. I don't know if they still offer them although they still carry the filter bags.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #106
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

The Lowes bucket vac that I got was made by Shop Vac as far as I can tell...exact look-a-like and all the parts, filters, etc have fit as if made for it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #107
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg
One thing you can do on the shop vac is line the inside with a small garbage bag. When done with the job you can lift it out and dispose of it with little to no mess.
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #108
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdipper View Post
One thing you can do on the shop vac is line the inside with a small garbage bag. When done with the job you can lift it out and dispose of it with little to no mess.
I like it, great idea thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #109
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Just wanted to chime in on tool storage. First let me say that I think we have more tools on our boats than anyone else in our marina. Just last weekend everyone was coming by to borrow things - I think we may hang a sign and start charging. (Kidding, we don't mind helping out.). Anyway, we started with a hard side tool box for the most common tools, then went to a soft side becuase it fit better in the space available. Last year I picked up two tool rolls, and love them. I have one with screw drivers and pliers, and another with wrenches and ratchets. They also have pockets for sockets. The rolls make it really easy to keep track of things, and no more skinned knuckles reaching into the bag. They are also really compact when rolled up. Just our experience.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #110
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Yep, I do the same Carolena, they work well.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #111
FF
Guru

A unit with out a 2 inch suction hose is a waste of time.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #112
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
About only tools not on board are mini table saw and drill press (worm drive skill saw, saws-all, jig saw, assorted hand saws, and ˝” drill can handle what comes up). I stay pretty heavy on hand and power tool side of things... just in case. Thousand + assorted SS fasteners in compartmentalized box and marine electrical parts in a box. Comprehensive mechanic tool boxes. Guess it all weighs in 200 lbs +/-. Keep mostly in center locker under forward stateroom’s V-berth... it's packed!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #113
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Jeffnick, very clever and nicely done. The plug and tool are right where you need them. How is the holder fastened to the transom?
Command Large Water-Resistant Refill Strips, 4-Strip:Amazon:Home Improvement
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote