City: Slicker?
Greetings,
On sale now... Home Tool Kit - Save on this 105 Piece Home Tool Kit

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
It depends which workman is, I love tools and I'm buying all the time.

Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #23

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Perfect!
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
If you need something just ask a live aboard as we will proable have what you want! Also we are great modifies or jury rig most things, especilly if its an older boat.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
Guru

Like Screwdriver, wrench, clamps, hammers, ... everythink new, I want to buy, I have 2 and half toll boxes )
Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg
Wow, I can see I am going to need to budget in for quite a few specialty tools as well as the parts I might need. Thanks everyone for all the imput.
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
Guru

If you need some tool, I can lend you
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg
Thanks for the offer but I don't even have my trawler yet. I have most basic tools I will need but can see I will need to get some of the specialty ones when the time comes. Those I will not get until I have my Trawler and know specifically what I will need. This just helps me get one of my lists together.
swampgatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Luckily our boat came with a long list of specialty tools included. I did pick up a Crescent tool kit years ago that had a fair amount of standard tools of acceptable quality. Still using it and haven't lost one piece, which is amazing
Attached Images

Max Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
The tools you carry often reflect the condition of your boat.

I hope you mean that in a positive way.

The tools you have reflect your boats complexity, your ability to use them, and your percieved risk of breakdown.

Same thing for spare parts.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #31

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
If you decide to work on expensive things like engines or transmissions be careful of the tolerance of cheap tools. You only need to round off one bolt head or worst yet snap one off to pay for the next grade up of tools. I have some of each I seem to run in to less problems with the high end tools and will not use the low end tools on critical jobs.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #32
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
If you decide to work on expensive things like engines or transmissions be careful of the tolerance of cheap tools. You only need to round off one bolt head or worst yet snap one off to pay for the next grade up of tools. I have some of each I seem to run in to less problems with the high end tools and will not use the low end tools on critical jobs.
I agree, My old dad that left us in December, bless his soul, used to say "pliers were never made for nuts but it's often nuts that use them". You see so much damage with cheap tools, pliers and vise grips instead of using the proper tool.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #33
Guru

Go to Home Depot and you can find everything that you need.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #34
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdipper View Post
Other than your basic screw driver sets, wrenches and sockets hammer what type of tools do you carry on your trawler? Any specialty tools reccommended. I know this can vary depending on your engines and electronics. I currently do not own a trawler but hope to purchase a used one in the next 2 years or so. Just trying to get some information so I will be better prepared. Thanks
You will have a better idea of what tools you need once you have the boat. For example, you may or may not need a complete set of metric tools in addition to standard sized tools.

I have a fairly complete set of tools on my boat but some of the posts list items that I don't carry and probably won't.

I will say this though; There's little point in carrying tools that you don't know how to use. The same goes for spare parts.

If I could only take one tool on my boat it would be my TowBoatUS towing membership card!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
I agree whole-heartedly. All tools, but especially hand tools, need to be of sufficient grade for the task. If you're just pounding a nail, any hammer might do, but if you're removing 35 year old exhaust manifold bolts, you better do it right the first time. As my grandfather used to say, "Use the right tool for the job."

Another tool I find helpful is a hot glue gun. It makes temporary field repairs a breeze and it's usually easy to remove/clean up.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #36

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
If you can wait around Black Friday Home Depot Sears Lowe's all have phenomenal tool sales. Personally I think a blowmolded box that holds all the sockets is worth it small expense.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. skidgear mentioned torches in post #11. I have one of these and use it quite a bit. As mentioned, heat shrink but also for soldering, paint stripping very small areas, heating stubborn nuts and bolts, lighting kids sparklers, melting rope ends and creme brule.

Also picked up one of these on sale at Harbor Freight ($15). Replaced the buffing wheel with a 3" wire wheel. VERY handy.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If I could only take one tool on my boat it would be my TowBoatUS towing membership card!
Well, now....we're finally getting down to the "nut cutting" as they say out west!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-03-22 at 15.45.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	17420  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I basically have a tool room on my boat as the forward cabin is seldom occupied. When you are cruising full time and like "wilderness" boating, I have found use for some of the most odd ball items I managed to stow. If you are coming back to a dock every night, less of an issue. You know the old saying: Definition of Cruising: "Fixing your boat in exotic places".

But I do have a few top-of-mind MVPs:
-A small set of stubby Gear Wrenches. I have a big set of Craftsman wrenches that I have used maybe 6 times or so in 5+ years, almost always for the metric sizes. These little guys do so many boat jobs so well I can't even begin to count the ways.
-digital multi-meter; indispensable. If I were to lose mine I would go to the nearest port immediately to get another. Get the best one you can find. Oh and a few litlte jumpers with alligator clips. Big heavy duty jumper cables are extremely handy too.
-one of those arcade game flexible grabbers. I never use the magnet on a stick because nothing you should be picking up on a boat is magnetic. The little mirror on a stick is very handy too.
-A little brad puller, which looks like a screw driver with forked tongue. Gets broken out for all kinds of odd jobs but main use is springing recalcitrant snaps.
-T handle hex set; get the right one and you can also put a socket wrench on it and use it as a nut driver for reaching into difficult spots, such as hose clamp installs.
-dual intensity heat gun: shrink wrap fittings, varnish removal and many other uses.
-ratchet crimper
-angled needle nose pliers
-small vise; I don't use it a lot but when I need it, it is wonderful
-measuring tape; probably belongs nearer to top of list, amazing how many time I break it out
-calipers; I am terrible at measuring hoses, holes, bolts etc without one. I do have an innate talent for losing these mysteriously.
-allen wrenches. though the t-hexes usuall cover this.
-vaseline
-corrosion x
-and last but certainly not least a little wet/dry Shop Vac.

If I had to go to sea with only the above and a wide range of screw drivers I wouldn't feel naked.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #40
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
9 times out of 10 it's not necessarily the tools...it's still the mechanic...

An experienced mechanic can get by with a simple set of tools by knowing what can and cant be done with what is at hand...

Like using a fine tip screwdriver in a wrench to make up the difference in a slightly rounded bolt head...

or using 2 wrenches in conbination to give a longer moment arm to free a stubborn bolt...etc...etc...

Sure..buy a good set of tools before you go cruising...but more importantly...spend some time working on systems with a master and get to know how things are actually done in the field and not the "how to" section of some dreamland boating magazine article.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote