Tool Set Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is currently where the socket set is. Its on a platform with heavy duty slides. Just under the carpet is the eng compartment so when standing in the engine compartment I can slide out the socket set and general tools and its within reach. Still testing this location. So far ill keep it but need to fine tune the slide mounts.

Attachments

• tool box.jpg
    tool box.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
  • toolbox1.jpg
    toolbox1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 12
This is currently where the socket set is. Its on a platform with heavy duty slides. Just under the carpet is the eng compartment so when standing in the engine compartment I can slide out the socket set and general tools and its within reach. Still testing this location. So far ill keep it but need to fine tune the slide mounts.

Nice. Is that one of the newer craftsman "stackable" drawer units or a regular toolbox with drawers?

For me a big consideration is storage. Have 1 built in tool cabinet in the bilge/er but it is not moisture proof so does allow rusting.
The blow molded case that holds the large Craftsman assortment was a large part of the choice to stock it. A paper towel saturated with WD40 dropped in when closing provides a greater level of protection.
The higher end HF tools are good quality and could be stored in their knock off of the Penguin case for long term protection.

I went with DEWALT 204-Piece Mechanics Tools Kit and Socket Set, 1/4" & 3/8" & 1/2" Drive, MM/SAE (DWMT72165) https://a.co/d/e8miiCp for basic hand tools. Worked well and case made it portable. I also had a variety of long (18", 26" and 32") extensions for the sockets. A good basic multimeter (I went with Fluke 101), a simple craft store heat gun and assorted heat shrink connectors rounded out the basics. I ended up with Trac Ecological 1285-B FLUSHcap - 2.5" (Medium) https://a.co/d/6hzSqwf for flushing raw water systems as well.

We purchased Tekton Tools about 4 years ago and have been happy with them. They have a lifetime warranty (similar to Craftsman). They also have bundles which they have introduced since we purchased our original tools.

Congratulations on your new boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
A different take on tool sets

When we bought our 50' boat I rushed out and bought a full set of Craftsman wrenches in both metric and SAE. First disappointment was that the biggest wrench was too small for the largest item I needed to work on (can't remember the issue right now...). What I found was that I only used a couple of the wrenches and the rest just sat around taking up space and adding unneeded weight. If I were to do it over, I would take a couple of hours and do the following: take my sets of tools from home and crawl through the boat testing them on everything I might work on and make my list (for example, working from memory):
Generator: super-small wrench, 1/8" for impeller case removal; 1/4" wrench for removal of sensors; oil filter wrench; etc.
Engine(s): torque wrench and standard socket wrench with appropriate sockets to fit alternator, water pump, solenoids, anodes, etc;
Windlass, electronic components, etc.

When doing this, check for usability. There's nothing worse than trying to fit a ratchet socket in where there is too little room, or a full-size wrench when you need a small one. While you're crawling around, dictate comments into your phone and then type it up and print it out. For example, how nice to know I need the specific super-small wrench when heading down to replace the generator's impeller, along with a headlight and a towel to lay under the impeller to catch any teeny bolts that slip through my fingers...

Since you occasionally go to Harbor Freight, get the free electric meter they often give out with coupons. Keep three or four on-board. In five years of boating I gave away three of them to fellow boaters in distress who didn't have any meters on-board. One appreciative fellow gave me a very nice bottle of wine in return! And if someone borrows one and accidentally breaks it, no worries...

If you do these things you will carry a minimum amount of tools with maximum application.

Tool set recommendations

All those sets look good, but I would suggest a set of "torx" drivers, which I didn't see included. You may not need them in the engine room, but I have been amazed in the past few years about how many appliances and hardware - hinges, oven and dishwasher door frames, plumbing etc. - are put together with them, and often different sizes on the same appliance. A good set doesn't take up much space, but if you don't have the right size when you need it, you can be dead in the water.
Good luck with the new boat!

Peter

You'll love the Selene. Which one is it and where is it located? I have a Selene 57.

I use a Craftsman set with a full complement of metric and English sockets and box end wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. It comes in a co.pact plastic case that I keep in the ER, but has a carrying handle to make it portable. There will be other tools you'll need depending on your skill level.

You will need both English and metric because of the diverse equipment on the boat.

Make sure you join the Selene owners website.

Richard

Tool Set

I think 1 of the important things to keep in mind is if you are cruising and if you need a tool replacement where do you go and how do you get it with Amazon tools?

I saw that Harbor Freight got a pan, but there was no mention as to why?

It is my understanding that if you buy a tool from them and it breaks, then they will replace it. No time limit to my knowledge.

Personally, I purchased a 2500W generator. Started it once and it wouldn't start again so I took it back. No one tried to start it to 'check me out'. The manager went into the back, brought out a new one. The only hassle was that the old one had fuel in it & that it had to be drained so I bought a small hand pump, pump the gas into the car I was borrowing and loaded the new generator and drove away.

The 2nd instance I had was with an infrared temperature reader. I went to remove the battery for the winter, I do that with all of my batt items, and a terminal for the 9V broke. Took it back, not to the store where I purchased it but one hundreds of miles away and they took the old and gave me a new one in the packaging.

I think if you could break a hand tool, you'd be doing something, but they would replace it.

I believe quality with HF has gone up & I don't have any issues with buying their tools. Easy replacement because they seem to be everywhere.

Hey, you can spend your money anyway you want but I'd rather save some money on a tool set that isn't used every day and use the rest to buy a Garmin 86csi. But to each his own.

Travel safe out there.

Tool set

As an aircraft mechanic for 30 years I have learned there is only one set of tools to get that is Snap-on
nothing makes a job go smoother than a good set of high quality tools.
the cost of the tools is high
the cost of busted knuckles can also be high.

Good tools are better than so-so tools

I use bags to hold my tools but I also go from boat to boat. If I had just one boat I would think differently. But I do like tools stored in a way that makes it obvious if part of a 'set' is missing - from sockets to wrenches to screw drivers.

Also, I started using these sockets and I love them:

For getting loose tough nuts in tight spaces. It only mattered once but what a difference! I could not get a wrench on it and no way to get an extension on the socket either without removing the exhaust. But I was able to get a socket on the head of the bolt and a wrench on the socket.

It seems as though they guys have pretty much covered the spectrum, but I have a few ideas left. 1. Crescent wrenches lack class, but having an assortment of quality ones from very small to quite large saves a lot of time looking for just the right sized wrench. 2. A few woodworking tools are handy. I have Japanese pull saw, a few sharp chisels, and some spade bits. I also carry a few random pieces of wood -- like for braces, shims, etc in emergencies. 3, Impeller pullers - one larger one smaller. They save the edges of the impeller case. 4. Picks, very small ones for pulling out rubber rings on strainers and fuel filters, etc., especially on Lehman engines 5. An assortment of string and wire. 6. A flexible scope for finding the tools that you drop into the bilge. 7. One of thos grabber things that old folks get for picking stuff up off the floor - again for retrieving stuff from the bilge or cleaning up messes remotely. 8. A packing puller for repacking your stuffing box if you have one.

You will love your Selene. We have a 56 that has been amazing. One thing Selene uses is three sizes of square headed screws. Make sure you have all drivers for them.

Hey all. Just put in an offer on a 53' selene. Our prior boat was a pocket cruiser and while I did most of my own work, the tool set on that boat was largely cobbled together from spares I had around the house supplemented with cheap HF stuff. It's been a number of years and as I've aged a bit my tolerance for 'cheap' tools has gone down.

I've been browsing (mostly in circles) online trying to figure out a good strategy to get a solid set of tools to have on the new boat, ideally from day 1. It appears that going with a "mechanics" toolkit is the best bang for your buck (I missed the boat on this when stocking my garage at home I guess). That said I am in analysis-paralysis with what direction to go so wanted to see what others thoughts / experiences / recommendations were.

The top choice appears to be the gearwrench 243 piece set. It's got solid socket coverage, what appear to be good quality socket wrenches, a good spread of extensions / adapters, plus some ok to good quality combination wrenches:

https://www.gearwrench.com/products...point-mechanics-tool-set-3-drawer-storage-box

The alternative set was the Quinn 428 piece set:
https://www.harborfreight.com/master-technicians-tool-set-428-piece-58154.html

The "more stuff" in that set appears to be ratcheting combination wrenches and 12 point sockets. I'm not a fan of the ratcheting combination wrenches for engine work (even if they are nicer) and I don't *think* that 12 point sockets are a thing on boats but I'm also not sure.

I could do what I did before and buy 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive SAE/Metric Standard + Deep socket sets + a set of wrenches but I think that is less bang for your buck.

Anyways wanting to hear folks thoughts on brands / buying a big set vs. building your own / need for 12 point on a boat / etc.

And yes. I realize this is somewhat of a 'religious' topic :)

Be aware that regardless of what you decide to buy they will rust. Gear wrenches are great but I already had to replace 1 ratchet that wouldn’t release a socket because it started to rust. I use my tools, sockets, wrenches, pliers and cutters all the time and keeping them clean and rust free is an issue. Just be aware.

Be aware that regardless of what you decide to buy they will rust. Gear wrenches are great but I already had to replace 1 ratchet that wouldn’t release a socket because it started to rust. I use my tools, sockets, wrenches, pliers and cutters all the time and keeping them clean and rust free is an issue. Just be aware.

I have had the same experience with rusting, even if the tools are cleaned after the job and coated with WD-40 or some other moisture barrier for storage. What I appreciate is that tools stored in the ER stay drier (no mystery here) and tools more exposed to continuous moisture, say in a lazarette, chain locker or in an uncovered flybridge, do rust faster.
Another comment: high end chrome tools still rust, but coated tools (eg DURATECH with Black Electrophoretic Coating) will resist rusting much better.

Re tool storage

I like to keep my tools in bags. A bag of combination wrenches, a bag of screwdrivers, etc. You can break it down to as many categories as suits you. As moving around on a boat or in an engine compartment can be somewhat awkward and I don’t always know which socket or wrench I’ll need I’d rather dig through a bag where the work is than make my way back to a beautiful array in a stationary chest. Also, on a small boat like mine, the bags are easier to store.

If it would be up to me the boat would be basically filled up with tools, but the admiral does not agree with that. Wonder why ?:angel:

So we came with an agreement. Only the tools I would need to fix the boat while underway are allowed on the boat, all the other tools need to be not on the boat. That can be in a storage, a car, anywhere, but not on the boat.
I was able to amend that to 'all the tools that we need to do the work we plan to do for the season', but it still means most of the tools are not readily available on the boat.
But guess what ?
I also did not need them so far and if I would need them I can always pull into a port and ask someone, who has that tool, for a favor.
Being on a boat means downsizing and compromising. I know it was hard for me, but I have gotten used to it and basically I have to say the admiral was right this time. Hate to admit is, but it is true.

and get a couple of small plastic tubs - I call them project bins.
And when working on a certain project that needs a finite amount of known tools you can put them in there and take that to the "job site" (in the forepeak or at the windlass or wherever) and have exactly the tools you need for that specific job plus a handy place to dump the nuts and bolts and hose clamps you remove during the job and don't have to worry about seas or wakes spilling eveything!
If I have multiple projects going on at once I will have multiple project bins at their respective locations.
Just need to remember to put everything back in its original storage space when done.
It is a lot easier to haul one plastic tub with a handful of only the tools you will need for that job rather than the whole toolbox.
And the convenience of being able to drop parts in there so they won't get lost saves time and aggrevation looking for or trying to remember where you left a certain part if you leave the project and have to come back later.

Attachments

• Project Bin 2.jpg
    Project Bin 2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Project Bin.jpg
    Project Bin.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 7
BTW - when I took those pics and placed them in my desktop folder they were oriented correctly but when I posted them to the Forum they got rotated.
How do I correct that or avoid that in the future?
I am fluent with hand tools, but an idiot with computers!
Please advise
Thank you

I have created standard written procedures for reoccurring maintenance tasks. They list the tools needed and list of steps with pictures. It really speeds the process, and helps me avoid making mistakes.

You'll love the Selene. Which one is it and where is it located? I have a Selene 57.

I use a Craftsman set with a full complement of metric and English sockets and box end wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. It comes in a co.pact plastic case that I keep in the ER, but has a carrying handle to make it portable. There will be other tools you'll need depending on your skill level.

You will need both English and metric because of the diverse equipment on the boat.

Make sure you join the Selene owners website.

Richard

It’s hull 30 of the 53. We will be on the Chesapeake Bay. We go to survey at the end of the month so not a fully done deal yet.

and get a couple of small plastic tubs - I call them project bins.
And when working on a certain project that needs a finite amount of known tools you can put them in there and take that to the "job site" (in the forepeak or at the windlass or wherever) and have exactly the tools you need for that specific job plus a handy place to dump the nuts and bolts and hose clamps you remove during the job and don't have to worry about seas or wakes spilling eveything!
If I have multiple projects going on at once I will have multiple project bins at their respective locations.
Just need to remember to put everything back in its original storage space when done.
It is a lot easier to haul one plastic tub with a handful of only the tools you will need for that job rather than the whole toolbox.
And the convenience of being able to drop parts in there so they won't get lost saves time and aggrevation looking for or trying to remember where you left a certain part if you leave the project and have to come back later.

Thanks for this. That’s a really good idea.

Craftsman tools

All the new Craftsman tools are made in China and are junk. But, if you are partial to Craftsman keep an eye out on Craigslist for old mechanics retiring and selling their tools or junk stores selling old tools. You'll find lots of made in American made Craftsman tools there.
If you want to pay a little more. Snap on tools are still made in America and their wrenches are a little thinner and more nimble to get into tight spots.

Not just Craig List but pawn shops. It has been a few years but I picked up some nice pieces at the pawn shops.

I drove truck for 45 years in some very remote places. The toolbox I carried with me came with me to the boat. Complete set of standard and metric wrenches. Set of 1/2” & 3/8 drive 6 point sockets standard and metric. Strong bar and a couple of different lengths of extensions. Complete set of screw drivers, get the Flat head hollow ground ones, you will thank yourself later. Allen wrenches standard and metric. Set of crescent wrenches. Couple different sizes of pipe wrenches. Punches and cold chisels. O-ring picks. Three or four different sizes of ball peen hammers. Hacksaw with extra blades. Three or four different sizes of vise grips. A bag of electrical parts, all different kinds of connectors, shrink tube, electrical tape and always a roll of rubber tape, that stuff was a life saver more than once. A good set of wire strippers and crimpers (separate tools) broke everything down into groups and put it in soft bags as it is easier to store on the boat and have a bag with all the more common things that use so I don’t have to go through all the bags when I want to do something. Usually they are all set out anyways. I added a battery powered 3/8 drill with bits and a grinder with. Couple of different abrasive disc for different metals. The list in a previous post is a good list also. From it I’m going to add a set of chain pliers to my collection.
I know it may sound like a lot but I lost count on how many times that toolbox and and my cans of nuts, bolts, screws, and assortment of brass fittings got myself and others off the side of roads when there was no cell service and all we had to depend on was ourselves. My bosses used to tease me and say that if I got rid of some that stuff I could haul more for them.
On a side note there is usually one thing that you could use but don’t have but you when you are outfitted you can usually make something work or someone may come along and have it.
All my hand tools are Proto. Nothing worse than watching the jaws open up on a cheap wrench and want to round the corners off a nut or bolt in the middle of nowhere.
Good luck and good adventures.

I drove truck for 45 years in some very remote places. The toolbox I carried with me came with me to the boat. Complete set of standard and metric wrenches. Set of 1/2” & 3/8 drive 6 point sockets standard and metric. Strong bar and a couple of different lengths of extensions. Complete set of screw drivers, get the Flat head hollow ground ones, you will thank yourself later. Allen wrenches standard and metric. Set of crescent wrenches. Couple different sizes of pipe wrenches. Punches and cold chisels. O-ring picks. Three or four different sizes of ball peen hammers. Hacksaw with extra blades. Three or four different sizes of vise grips. A bag of electrical parts, all different kinds of connectors, shrink tube, electrical tape and always a roll of rubber tape, that stuff was a life saver more than once. A good set of wire strippers and crimpers (separate tools) broke everything down into groups and put it in soft bags as it is easier to store on the boat and have a bag with all the more common things that use so I don’t have to go through all the bags when I want to do something. Usually they are all set out anyways. I added a battery powered 3/8 drill with bits and a grinder with. Couple of different abrasive disc for different metals. The list in a previous post is a good list also. From it I’m going to add a set of chain pliers to my collection.
I know it may sound like a lot but I lost count on how many times that toolbox and and my cans of nuts, bolts, screws, and assortment of brass fittings got myself and others off the side of roads when there was no cell service and all we had to depend on was ourselves. My bosses used to tease me and say that if I got rid of some that stuff I could haul more for them.
On a side note there is usually one thing that you could use but don’t have but you when you are outfitted you can usually make something work or someone may come along and have it.
All my hand tools are Proto. Nothing worse than watching the jaws open up on a cheap wrench and want to round the corners off a nut or bolt in the middle of nowhere.
Good luck and good adventures.

Thanks for this. This list mirrored my expectations and added a few things I did t think of!

Thanks for this. This list mirrored my expectations and added a few things I did t think of!

Hey you’re welcome. :) there is some I missed of course. :hide:Like a set of tapered easy outs. Those can come in handy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom