Thoughts on Waxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Hi Ya'll!!

Skinny Dippin' has previously had a less than perfect paint job on her topsides. The PO had replaced the decking on the sides and bow and then tried to match the paint to the gelcoat. (good news/bad news) The result was a very flat and oxidized looking finish. What we have is a finish that is impossible to get clean without the use of magic erasers. Diesel soot sticks in the pores of the finish.

I know waxing will not make the finish shiney, and I'm okay with that. But I would like to use a simple wax to try to keep her a little cleaner and hopefully make the actual cleaning easier! Something that I can apply without a buffer is best, because the buffer will burn right through this bad paint job. Ask me how I know that? :facepalm:

What are your thoughts on waxes?

I have a fishing guide friend that swears by Rejex and I purchased a bottle to try. It appears pretty easy to apply and remove.Its not cheap but hopefully it will work well.

I use tire cleaner to clean and wash the deck. The Turtle Wax auto wash mixed 50/50. The areas that are not white enough spray with cloroc bleach. The Turtle Wax auto wash leaves thin wax protection. I also wash the the hull doing the same

To protect the hull and make it shine I use Turtle Wax F21prutectant which is sort of like Armoral. Lasts through nine months of PWN winter. However it makes the decks to slippery

Been doing this for 15+years with no damage to the paint .

Last edited:
I'm giving this a try this season.

Permanon Yacht Supershine Diamond Paint or Gel Coat Finish Wash Protection Boats, Yachts, Ships, Sailboats, Power Boats, Speed Boats, Surf Boards, Kayaks, Jet Ski, Personal Watercraft

It's a product adapted from what some use on airplanes (Jetshine). Supposedly nothing sticks to it and protects against UV rays. Supposedly you can use it on brightwork to block the UV and skip the annual recoat. Supposedly it can be used on windows for a Rain-X type treament. Supposedly. We'll see. I applied it before launching this week. It certainly was easy. I'm sure you need a good shine to begin with, just like wax. And you have to get rid of the old wax first, before applying. There's application instructions on the website. Only time will tell if it lives up to its billing.

So are you wanting to wax paint or gelcoat?

My 1971 Bruno lobsterboat has had a coat of NuFinish every year since I have owned it ('74). Applied by machine and removed by hand. The original gel coat still looks like the day it came out of the mold, occasional scratch excepted. Your slightly chaulked surface may need some white rubbing compound first.

My everyday driver car is a '87 and still has a great shine too.

NuFinish is the stuff in the orange bottle or can available everywhere and not expensive either.

Last edited:
First, quit using a Magic Eraser. It is simply a micro-abrassive sponge that is scratching your paint or gel coat. You'll need three steps. Compounding, Polish and then wax or sealer.
I use 3M Super Duty compound, followed by 3M Finesse it II using a Makita 9227C with wool pads (keep the pad exclusive to the product you're using to not contaminate) followed by Starbrite Polish with PTEF on a Porter cable (PC) 9424 random orbital and foam polishing pads.
I remove all products with the PC and a terry cloth bonnet over the foam pad, again keeping a new bonnet with each product you're removing.

These steps will show new shine as you make the transition through the products.
The products can be found on many sites. I usually get them from
PROPERBOATCARE.COM
or
We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

First, quit using a Magic Eraser. It is simply a micro-abrassive sponge that is scratching your paint or gel coat. You'll need three steps. Compounding, Polish and then wax or sealer.
I use 3M Super Duty compound, followed by 3M Finesse it II using a Makita 9227C with wool pads (keep the pad exclusive to the product you're using to not contaminate) followed by Starbrite Polish with PTEF on a Porter cable (PC) 9424 random orbital and foam polishing pads.
I remove all products with the PC and a terry cloth bonnet over the foam pad, again keeping a new bonnet with each product you're removing.

These steps will show new shine as you make the transition through the products.
The products can be found on many sites. I usually get them from
PROPERBOATCARE.COM
or
We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

We have tried ALL of that. Even had a pro come and give it a try. In fact, he even had a 3M rep come and try some experimental products that aren't out yet. Eventually, he recommended we use Polyglow (I know... I was surprised too). With regular applications, he said it's the best way to keep the paint we have. You have to see our paint to understand, but the basic steps won't work. At this point, we just need to keep the **** to shoe-level until we can decide if we want to spend $10k to get her painted or not.

Last edited:
Thanks Ya'll!

Maybe I wasn't clear.... Buffing burns through the paint. We've done all the things you think to do with gelcoat, rubbing compound, restorer, all of that. But we have paint over gelcoat. We have a very rough porous finish that soot gets into and will not come off with anything I've tried besides the eraser. It's not oxidation, it's bad paint. (that we'll repaint correctly "someday")

Again, I'm not looking for shiney. I'm looking for opinions on a wax that might help make the cleaning a little easier. Tom is afraid that car wax will yellow badly. Will it? I need one that is a by-hand application, because we can't use the buffers.

The sides of my last boat were painted and very dull as well. I had a professional wax it and he used Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax. It says right on it that it is good for all paint types and good on fiberglass as well. The pro says he has found that any of the waxes with carnauba in it seem to protect and outlast others he has tried. I found it much easier to wash after it was waxed and lasted the entire season which is about 6 months in our world. Can be hand applied and wiped off with a terry towel or microfibre cloth if you don't want to use a buffer although I put on by hand and remove with a 10" slow speed buffer and did not have any issues. I buy it now at Canadian Tire in Canada but likely can be sourced where you live. Good luck.

Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax Paste | Canadian Tire

Sorry, guess I didn't read paint....
If your paint is toast, it's toast.

Sorry, guess I didn't read paint....
If your paint is toast, it's toast.

True story. I just want to make cleaning it easier for now. Until we get around to the paint.

So it sounds like some of you do use auto wax with no odd discoloration. That's awesome and just what I wanted to know. After my next good cleaning I'll try one of these options!

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Thanks again everyone! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bess I use Turtle Wax or McGuire's auto wax products on both our cars and boats with no yellowing issues. But don't take my word for it as I am also one of the few on this forum that has never had a problem using Rain-X either :)

So it sounds like some of you do use auto wax with no odd discoloration. That's awesome and just what I wanted to know. After my next good cleaning I'll try one of these options!

Why don't you try the PolyGlo like the 3M guy recommended? By that I think he meant "self polishing floor wax" which is not wax at all. I have several friends that use Mop&Glo. Also I have heard of people that use it on transom only as diesel soot will not stick to it. When it comes time to paint, it is easly stripped with floor stripper or ammonia. It lasts for years on my basement workshop floor. What I don't know is how it stands up to UV light but worth a try.

Bess I use Turtle Wax or McGuire's auto wax products on both our cars and boats with no yellowing issues. But don't take my word for it as I am also one of the few on this forum that has never had a problem using Rain-X either :)

Thanks Craig!! :)

We use Four Seasons Trewax boat wax which is heavy in carnuba. Been using it for over 14 years on both boats, very satisfied.

We use Four Seasons Trewax boat wax which is heavy in carnuba. Been using it for over 14 years on both boats, very satisfied.

Thanks Marin!! :)

Why don't you try the PolyGlo like the 3M guy recommended? By that I think he meant "self polishing floor wax" which is not wax at all. I have several friends that use Mop&Glo. Also I have heard of people that use it on transom only as diesel soot will not stick to it. When it comes time to paint, it is easly stripped with floor stripper or ammonia. It lasts for years on my basement workshop floor. What I don't know is how it stands up to UV light but worth a try.

Really?? Mop and Glo?? That would be awesome if it worked!

Before you apply s bunch of stuff, you might consider applying as new thinned down coat of paint to fill the tiny voids, and refresh the color. I have repainted the salon roof several times as it gets 9 months of rain and dirt. The first time to fill in the voids to make smother so it’s easier to keep clean. the other times just refresh to white again rthe than grey.

It appears most of us use Turtle Wax products. I been using tire cleaner than the Turtle wax 2100 protectorant of the run about for about 40 years with no harm to the gel coat and 15 years on the Eagle paint.

Attachments

• Run about.jpg
    Run about.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 101

I used the collinite paste wax last season. You cant beat it for longevity, it really holds up to washings. The down side I have with it and any paste wax is the continuous assault from the " sounds of freedom" overhead. My boat is near a Navy air base and the fall out from the planes and jets works its way into the wax.
Maybe I can get Uncle Sam to detail my boat each year:lol:

Back
Top Bottom