Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
So it sounds like some of you do use auto wax with no odd discoloration. That's awesome and just what I wanted to know. After my next good cleaning I'll try one of these options!
Why don't you try the PolyGlo like the 3M guy recommended? By that I think he meant "self polishing floor wax" which is not wax at all. I have several friends that use Mop&Glo. Also I have heard of people that use it on transom only as diesel soot will not stick to it. When it comes time to paint, it is easly stripped with floor stripper or ammonia. It lasts for years on my basement workshop floor. What I don't know is how it stands up to UV light but worth a try.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
But don't take my word for it as I am also one of the few on this forum that has never had a problem using Rain-X either

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Bess I use Turtle Wax or McGuire's auto wax products on both our cars and boats with no yellowing issues. But don't take my word for it as I am also one of the few on this forum that has never had a problem using Rain-X either

Thanks Craig!!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
We use Four Seasons Trewax boat wax which is heavy in carnuba. Been using it for over 14 years on both boats, very satisfied.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We use Four Seasons Trewax boat wax which is heavy in carnuba. Been using it for over 14 years on both boats, very satisfied.
Thanks Marin!!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Collinite works great & last longer than others I've tried.
http://www.collinite.com/
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Scout is painted with 2-part Interlux. Their recommended 'wax' is AwlCare Polymer Sealer. Paint has been on for two years and looks like new. Conventional waxes were NOT recommended by Interlux or Awlgrip when I spoke with them by phone.

http://www.awlgrip.com/MPYACMDatashe...6+A+eng+A4.pdf

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Why don't you try the PolyGlo like the 3M guy recommended? By that I think he meant "self polishing floor wax" which is not wax at all. I have several friends that use Mop&Glo. Also I have heard of people that use it on transom only as diesel soot will not stick to it. When it comes time to paint, it is easly stripped with floor stripper or ammonia. It lasts for years on my basement workshop floor. What I don't know is how it stands up to UV light but worth a try.

Really?? Mop and Glo?? That would be awesome if it worked!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Before you apply s bunch of stuff, you might consider applying as new thinned down coat of paint to fill the tiny voids, and refresh the color. I have repainted the salon roof several times as it gets 9 months of rain and dirt. The first time to fill in the voids to make smother so itís easier to keep clean. the other times just refresh to white again rthe than grey.

It appears most of us use Turtle Wax products. I been using tire cleaner than the Turtle wax 2100 protectorant of the run about for about 40 years with no harm to the gel coat and 15 years on the Eagle paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Run about.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	18396  
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Collinite works great & last longer than others I've tried.
Collinite Auto, Marine and Industrial Wax Products Official Site Ľ Collinite
I used the collinite paste wax last season. You cant beat it for longevity, it really holds up to washings. The down side I have with it and any paste wax is the continuous assault from the " sounds of freedom" overhead. My boat is near a Navy air base and the fall out from the planes and jets works its way into the wax.
Maybe I can get Uncle Sam to detail my boat each year
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Sounds like the paint is shot, so wax isn't going to help. Your rep is correct that the last line before painting is an acrylic overcoat. Some of the marine specific products are Poli Glow, Vert Glass, Island Girl, NewGlass 2, etc. They are all based on the acrylic floor shine products, but I assume they are more robust to stand up the marine environment (having more solids, among other things). Practical Sailor did a long term test of these products and their two favorites were Poly Glow and New Glass 2. While I have no personal experience with the products, I have researched them and they seem very easy to apply after using special proprietary cleaners. For the cost, I think it is worth getting a kit and giving it a shot. Maybe do just the transome first to see if you like it.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I used the collinite paste wax last season. You cant beat it for longevity, it really holds up to washings. The down side I have with it and any paste wax is the continuous assault from the " sounds of freedom" overhead. My boat is near a Navy air base and the fall out from the planes and jets works its way into the wax.
Maybe I can get Uncle Sam to detail my boat each year
We're near Cherry Point Marine Air Station, so you know what I'm up against. I just want to be able to wash and have the dirt come off and not need to magic eraser the whole topsides.

We'll fix the paint later. I heard somewhere that bad paint never sunk a boat. As long as that remains true, I just want to get her clean!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #33
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Sounds like the paint is shot, so wax isn't going to help. Your rep is correct that the last line before painting is an acrylic overcoat. Some of the marine specific products are Poli Glow, Vert Glass, Island Girl, NewGlass 2, etc. They are all based on the acrylic floor shine products, but I assume they are more robust to stand up the marine environment (having more solids, among other things). Practical Sailor did a long term test of these products and their two favorites were Poly Glow and New Glass 2. While I have no personal experience with the products, I have researched them and they seem very easy to apply after using special proprietary cleaners. For the cost, I think it is worth getting a kit and giving it a shot. Maybe do just the transome first to see if you like it.
Easy to apply. Horrible to get off. If I was going to paint my boat anytime in the near future. I wouldn't use it.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Easy to apply. Horrible to get off. If I was going to paint my boat anytime in the near future. I wouldn't use it.
That has been the major complaint in the past. However, Practical Sailor found that the new strippers that are sold by the companies that make the finishes work very well - one or two washes with the right product should strip all the finish. If there is a plan to paint in the next year or two, then I'd agree and just hold out; but if the desire is to avoid painting for as long as possible, I'd give it a try. We considered using it on the sailboat, but after a good compound, glaze, wax last year, she looked good (and we plan to sell her, anyway).
Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #35

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Jeff - have you used this on the Duck? Do you have any issues with weird yellowing? This might be just what I'm looking for! THANKS!
Big Duck hasn't even been washed in 2 years - keeping up external cosmetics while reworking mechanics/plumbing/electrics never made sense to me...

But I have used ICE on previous boats - I don't even buff it out...more of a satin look, but very easy to keep clean. No problems with yellowing.

Yea, I tried Mop-N-Glo and everything else under the sun. I stopped messing with other stuff when I started using ICE.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
Guru

Thanks Everyone!! I will try something this weekend and report back if it was what I was hoping for!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"By that I think he meant "self polishing floor wax" which is not wax at all. I have several friends that use Mop&Glo."

This and similar no wax floor products work well at removing scratches in plexiglass.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
Guru

Skinny Dippin' got a good bath today after a nice little weekend escape reality cruise and afterwards, I used the Turtlewax ICE on the outside of the flybridge - where the green stripe is. This is a particularly difficult area for me to keep clean. I'll report back on success or failure!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #39
Guru

Hi Everyone! I wanted to send a quick update! After a full month now, and at least three good washes followed by the ICE spray on wax, the result is exactly what I was after. The diesel soot is no longer getting into the porous paint surface.

Thank you all for the advice! I think the more I use it, the better it will be. I'm very happy with the result!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #40
Guru

Thanks for the update. Did it make much of a difference in terms of shine, or just makes it easier to keep clean?