Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #81
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
So how can I tell and what questions should I ask now that we are this far into it? What basis and parameters do I make the next decision?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #82
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
So how can I tell and what questions should I ask now that we are this far into it? What basis and parameters do I make the next decision?
Tom: What's the yard say? How about giving Rob Eberie a call and ask him to take a look the next time he's at the yard. I wouldn't think it would cost much and his opion is one that I could trust.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #83
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
double post
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #84
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
When your blisters are ground out, can you get a sharp chisel point into some of the layers?...if they separate / peel off with relative ease...I'd keep going...of ask an expert to take a look.

I kept going (at least 2 trash cans full of matt and roving I was able to peel/chisel off) before finding meat all around....if it all seems solid...you might be good to go. I sanded/ground past the gel coat on the whole boat to make sure my epoxy had a solid, clean surface to cling to. Most older gel coats are useless below the waterline as it does not restrict water migration as many think...it's just there for the showroom.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Espoo
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Storebro 34
Greetings everyone!

I have been reading this thread and pretty much spent the last week on looking up osmosis and the remedies for it, since when I hauled out my boat there were about 20 or so bubbles on the bottom. I have just bought this boat so naturally I wanted to be sure.

In my case it seems that we had too many layers of bottompaint build-up and a mix of paint types that had formed the bubbles between paint layers. The blisters seem to have been "solvent blisters". The last layer was hard over soft...

There are pics on the blog but after I have scraped nearly the whole bottom and even sanded from where the bubbles were, everything is in perfect order. No gelcoat faults nothing alarming other than the idiotic layers of paint.

Up here We store our boats on the dry for nearly eight months of the year so the hulls have plenty of time to dry eventhough they are stored outside and its sometimes pretty cold here..

So, it's not always the worst case scenario although I already was convinced taht we had it.. Great forum, by the way..
tiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #86
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Welcome tiku. Great looking boat!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #87
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Hi Tiku

A 1969 FRP vessel, one of the early ones for sure. Is it solid FRP up to the railings/gunwhales? I spent many fun filled days working and playing in Espoo. Great boating country and great people. How many cm of snow on ground?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Am I already hijacking the thread? (if so, sorry).

It is solid glass up to the deck which is made with 6 mm mahogany plywood that is covered with 15mm thick teak planking. The boat is from the first year when a FRP hull was an option. The FRP structure was made according to the standards issued by DNV (Det Norske Veritas).

Luckily there is no snow yet, but we are expecting some 20 cm to fall in the next few days.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #89
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome Mr. tiku.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #90
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiku View Post
Am I already hijacking the thread? (if so, sorry).

It is solid glass up to the deck which is made with 6 mm mahogany plywood that is covered with 15mm thick teak planking. The boat is from the first year when a FRP hull was an option. The FRP structure was made according to the standards issued by DNV (Det Norske Veritas).

Luckily there is no snow yet, but we are expecting some 20 cm to fall in the next few days.
Beautiful boat and you did the bottom job correctly. Thank you for cleaning up the scrappings instead of washing them down the drain as so many people do. I wish everyone would do the same.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #91

I did a full blister repair a few years back.....you can read about it and see photos of the job here

Boat Hull, Gelcoat Blisters and Hydrolysis
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #92
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinetrader View Post
I did a full blister repair a few years back.....you can read about it and see photos of the job here

Boat Hull, Gelcoat Blisters and Hydrolysis
Hey Mike – Simply excellent! Thank, You!!

That is the most succinct, simplest, fullest, and easily understandable “to the point” pictured-explanation of blister repair and bottom fiberglass repair with barrier coat and bottom paint refurbishment I’ve read... and, being an active boater as well as an avid self-repair boat person for decades - - > I’ve read a lot.

I ask permission to copy your “article’ so I may pass it on to other boaters who come in need of a clear path for best addressing blister problems they encounter. Of course, if you’d like, the copied and sent article of yours could have your name and company name as credit... I’d also be happy to include your contact #’s if that pleases you.

Let me know your desire on the above... I’ll not pass it on until I have your permission as well as instructions for including you name and various contact numbers.

Happy boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #93

Art, feel free to pass it along and of course, a Company name with a website link would be appreciated
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #94
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
When you sell hammers, every problem is described as a nail.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #95
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinetrader View Post
Art, feel free to pass it along and of course, a Company name with a website link would be appreciated
TY, Mike... will do so as other boater’s "blister" repair and bottom refinishing questions/needs come to my attention. Your name and numbers are on a folder page I would attach to an email or other relevant communication venue. Happy Holidays and a Great 2013 to you and yours Cheers! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #96
FF
Guru

When you sell hammers, every problem is described as a nail.

And to a surgeon , even a headache is cured with a knife!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #97
Veteran Member

I posted earlier in this thread because we had some dimples in the botttom. When i broke them they bled clear stuff that had the telltale winegar smell. So i did the bottom job, sanded to gelcoat and it was all smooth as silk.let the boat sit over the winter outside while working on it. Now the boat is hauled out for winter and I had a tight look at the bottom... Nothing.. No dimples nothing out of the ordinary.

So for us it was bubbles within the bottom paint layers, there were many different types of paint mixed and many many old layers. After one season with four layers of barrier coat + one hard + one ablative layer everything is fine. I am officially satisfied.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #98
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

I have also had these "bubbles" between paint layers from time-to-time.
Just happened that the last time was during a hull survey while the bottom was being pressure washed. The surveyor wasn't surprised given the age of the boat. His suggestion was to media blast the bottom of the boat and start over again if they were extensive. When you get four or five layers of different paints, this is not unusual. They are not "blisters" per se, as long as they are not under the gel coat.
So not to worry!!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #99
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Blisters or paint blister

When we hauled the boat today I discovered pencil eraser sized bumps/bubbles on the bottom. I haul every two years and keep the boat in the water year round. I didnt have the problem two years ago. This thread has lots of info but I cant determine if these may just be bottom paint blisters. The bubbles do not seem to be the dime and quarter size that others have spoke of in the thread. The boat was barrier coated in 2003 1 coat epiglass, 6 coat interprotect 2000, 1 coat bottom RED, 2 coats Micron CSC Interlux Blue.
Can anyone give me any thought on these.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
SDC13060.jpg   SDC13061.jpg   SDC13067.jpg   SDC13068.jpg  
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #100
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
From post 84....

"When your blisters are ground out, can you get a sharp chisel point into some of the layers?...if they separate / peel off with relative ease...I'd keep going...of ask an expert to take a look.

I kept going (at least 2 trash cans full of matt and roving I was able to peel/chisel off) before finding meat all around....if it all seems solid...you might be good to go. I sanded/ground past the gel coat on the whole boat to make sure my epoxy had a solid, clean surface to cling to. Most older gel coats are useless below the waterline as it does not restrict water migration as many think...it's just there for the showroom. "

If you have any other specific questions please feel free to PM me.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote