Things I can't do on my boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anode

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V Scout
Vessel Make
Sundowner Tug 30'
My smoker won't fit.

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 128
You can sleep on your boat, but you can't cruise in your house :)

>You can sleep on your boat, but you can't cruise in your house.<

The folks in CA and CO might disagree !

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, you can run a smoker on a boat - at least we do. After spending much of last winter debating the issues with a friend who is really into his bbq (and whose team has won several regional contests), we decided to give the Cobb Grill a shot. It is small, but really works. We've used it many times on the boat to make moink balls and wings. Those take around 1.5 hours and use around 8-10 charcoal briquettes. We did ribs this summer for about five hours, and used around 15 pieces of charcoal. Next on the list is to try a pork shoulder. The two amazing things about the Cobb are how little charcoal it uses, and how the base and sides stay cool to the touch (important for a boat). The only downsides is that it will run too cool if there is much wind, and it isn't that big (good for storage but can only load so much food in it). Highly recommend.

The stove top one looks good, but I can imagine it would require running the stove for a long period of time and could smoke up the cabin. We put the Cobb on the upper deck and keep the pilot house windows closed to keep the smoke out of the boat. I usually soak some wood in water for an hour before we start. It then put some wood in a foil pouch on top of the coals, and some additional pieces right on the coals. Each I add a few pieces of charcoal, I also include some additional wood. The way the Cobb is designed, any fats drip to a ring inside the base, so they don't hit the coals thus reducing the chance of any flare ups. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Actually, you can run a smoker on a boat - at least we do. After spending much of last winter debating the issues with a friend who is really into his bbq (and whose team has won several regional contests), we decided to give the Cobb Grill a shot. It is small, but really works. We've used it many times on the boat to make moink balls and wings. Those take around 1.5 hours and use around 8-10 charcoal briquettes. We did ribs this summer for about five hours, and used around 15 pieces of charcoal. Next on the list is to try a pork shoulder. The two amazing things about the Cobb are how little charcoal it uses, and how the base and sides stay cool to the touch (important for a boat). The only downsides is that it will run too cool if there is much wind, and it isn't that big (good for storage but can only load so much food in it). Highly recommend.

:thumb:I've been wanting a Cobb Grill....I may have to bite the bullet.

We slow-smoke a few hundred pounds of meat each week in our restaurant: brisket, pork and chicken mostly, but seafood and duck in smaller quantities. One phenomenal resource we tapped when we first got started was Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn. He writes about food, mostly BBQ for HuffPo, but it's his website-- www.amazingribs.com -- that is the real gem.

While obviously not boat specific, he has tested and reviewed hundreds of grills and smokers. I would think one of the small webers would be perfect for smoking on a boat deck, but having never done it I wouldn't think twice about following Craig's advice. He also touches on the more chefly aspects of BBQ as well. So if you already have a solution for the boat, his advice on preparation and cooking is worth reading.

Also, if you have specific questions, he's fantastic about getting back to you, usually very quickly.

Last edited:
One of the things I can't do on my boat? Be bored.

:thumb:I've been wanting a Cobb Grill....I may have to bite the bullet.

Anode, you wouldn't regret it. I can back up everything said about these marvellous little cookers. We have had ours for years and would never bother with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom