Is there a way to tell if you really get two coats of bottom paint ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Senor Fly

I'm sure you can specify any paint you want but it will be more expensive in the Bahamas due to duty. Labor would be less but also the quality of the work. Still it's a great cruising area.

Yup. We've done a lot of work out side the US. We've found you usually get 2 out of 3; cost, schedule or quality. You pick the 2. :)

To the OP- Get a game camera and hide it under the boat. Only problem is if the yard workers find it, then the "trust issue" will be magnified.

Sounds like your relationship with the yard is pretty much shot, probably best to not quibble over the number of paint coats and just get the boat out of there.

The actual number of coats probably will not affect your need for the next haul out.

And they just might do it right without your needing to worry about it.

Sounds like your relationship with the yard is pretty much shot,
No, not really..... only my "trust" for them to do exactly what I request they do on non obvious work, is damaged. Many jobs, such as washing, waxing or topsides painting the end results are obvious as to whether they did what you requested or not plus the quality of same.

Bottom painting is just one of those things, like engine oil or coolant flushes, where, unless you're standing there overseeing things, you never really know they did exactly what was requested...not so obvious.

The trust "damage" occurred just recently when I found out I was being flat out lied to about an aspect of my engines. Hopefully an isolated incident but it just adds some paranoia in my mind that wasn't there before.

Last edited:
If a yard or mechanic lies to me in their favor as opposed to a honest mistake they are gone never to be used again. What is the expression, screw me once......

I wasn't planning on stepping back in, but please carefully read all you've typed again and then at least get someone to be your representative on site.

You jumped on me with this response:

Oh boy....the inevitable Monday morning quarterbacking. Do you actually think someone is stupid enough to take a very expensive boat to a yard they don't trust ?

Yet, here are your words throughout this thread:

I know this sounds paranoid but I'm stuck in a yard now where my trust in them doing what I actually request them to do is quite shaken

So obviously I did trust them when I took it there. But without going into details, some things have gone on with my boat repairs (some hurricane Matthew damage) and engine servicing that have shaken my faith in them....

Mostly having to do with engine work really (oil and coolant changes not done properly, wrong kind of coolant for example...NAPA for cars....and being lied to about engine condition

I did trust them when I brought the boat in...in fact I still do for fiberglass and paint work (Awlgrip type paint anyway, no idea on the bottom paint)...they have a fantastic FRP man and topsides paint team.....But when it comes to engines...OMG...what a disappointment I had no idea was in store for me.

Plus since they put the wrong kind of coolant in the engines... I can't even be sure I'd be getting the bottom paint brand I was paying for unless I was standing there as they opened the cans....

my "trust" for them to do exactly what I request they do on non obvious work, is damaged.

The trust "damage" occurred just recently when I found out I was being flat out lied to about an aspect of my engines.

Calling someone who took an expensive boat to a yard one doesn't trust as "stupid" was your wording not mine. I don't know if the yard is trustworthy or not. I have no opinion on that. However, if I felt the way you've expressed in your posts, I wouldn't use them, and if I had to, I'd have someone inspecting as they did the work or I'd have cameras on them at all times.

I wouldn't let any yard put me through the emotional turmoil you're feeling regarding this one and the bottom paint. Even once they do it, you'll always wonder if they did what you asked and what they said.

I have been using the same yard in Miami for over 30 years and my dad used then for 30 years before that when the current owner was just an employee. Are there cheaper yards? Certainly but I'm known by the employees some who have been there over 20 years and I have confidence in all of them. I have peace of mind which BandB mentioned. Theses people also stand behind there work with no questions asked if your not happy. That to me is worth what I pay them. Being the cheapest yard is not the best unless the customer wants only price and doesn't care about quality.

Dune,There has to be a way to deal with this.
You don`t trust the yard. Other than watching while the a/f goes on, it`s very hard to tell if 2 coats were applied.
You feel "stuck" in the yard, you probably are. Short of leaving mid work, you have to put up with your distrust, get the work finished, hope it is done right, smile, pay up, and leave. Never to return, except for jobs where you trust them.
My experience has been that good yards can go bad. No doubt the reverse is true too. Owners, managers, staff, they all change, and how they work changes too.

Dune,There has to be a way to deal with this.
You don`t trust the yard. Other than watching while the a/f goes on, it`s very hard to tell if 2 coats were applied.
You feel "stuck" in the yard, you probably are. Short of leaving mid work, you have to put up with your distrust, get the work finished, hope it is done right, smile, pay up, and leave. Never to return, except for jobs where you trust them.
My experience has been that good yards can go bad. No doubt the reverse is true too. Owners, managers, staff, they all change, and how they work changes too.
Good post. Yeah, my current inclination is just to tell them one coat of bottom paint...except with my luck they will spray it on and I'll really get 1/2 coat of brand X paint ;)

Just a thought (I have those occasionally). It's free so feel free to ignore it if you like.

How about simply asking them to provide photos of the work as it progresses along with one of the measurement tools that have been previously suggested?

After all. You are the customer and you are paying the freight.
As a business person, I don't see the request at all offensive or unreasonable. But if you're afraid of offending them, heck tell them you keep immaculate records and want to be able to log this information in for whatever purpose. It doesn't really matter. You are the customer and you're paying the bill!

Not only do they want your money and repeat business, but (and don't be offended by this statement, but you brought it up), if they have even an inkling of your "internet might" and the damage your bad rep report could do, they should be more than responsive to your simple request.

And while I have only done 1, having done one 39' sailboat with a couple friends that are more anal retentive than...well they're just anal retentive to the max, I know what a PITA it is to do a spot on top flight job. And since the owner (one of the ones also working on it when he was home) is a pilot, obviously he couldn't be there every step of the way. Subsequently, there were a lot of pics sent back and forth.

What are they going to do?
Pack up the project and send it home????

OD

Dune, I use an antifoul paint which costs more but lasts longer, the cans are sure heavy, and I supply it, because most yards use cheaper product. If you order 1 coat you can`t get ripped, but direct it be rolled not sprayed, that should ensure a thicker coat, the finish should be obvious.
There is a yard near me a friend uses, they insist doing an inspection with him before relaunch. They are regularly awarded "Marina of the Year".(For Aussies, it`s Fenwicks at Brooklyn. Not cheap, but good.)

Folks heading to the Bahamas will find Freon 12 readily available.

Back
Top Bottom