Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Is there a way to tell if you really get two coats of bottom paint ?

This would be ablative type if it matters. I know this sounds paranoid but I'm stuck in a yard now where my trust in them doing what I actually request them to do is quite shaken (long story) but I can't just take off for another yard as the boat is too large to be hauled out by anyone else within a 100 mile radius.

I know there are automotive paint thickness testers but would these work on bottom paint ?

(And before anyone says it, no I can't be here to observe the bottom paint process, live too far away and too busy...plus it would probably irritate them to know I no longer fully trust them)
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Well I certainly wouldn't worry about irritating them. I trust you are paying them.

I am taking 2 weeks for a bottom paint in the Bahamas. No I don't have that kind of time, but I also do't want to be bottom painting in 6 months again. I made the time and will be there.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
In a past life, I know you can electronically measure thickness of coatings on metal pipe, but on fiberglass it would probably only be possible to scratch off a spot and measure with a highly accurate depth gage micrometer.
In future work by this yard, you could have them alternate colors between coats...
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Another alternative is to be there when they paint so you can check how many coat they are laying down.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Another alternative is to be there when they paint so you can check how many coat they are laying down.

L.
You might want to read his post all the way to the end.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
You might want to read his post all the way to the end.
Oups sooorrry

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Just tell them to use two different colors.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Just tell them to use two different colors.
Bingo!! Beat me to it.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

City: Athens, AL
Vessel Name: Always Something!
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 open
Multiple paint coats

I used a red base coat and 2 additional coats of black ablative. When the red starts printing through, time to put on another top coat. There should be no issue with a request like that to a yard doing bottom paint and should not raise any "trust" concerns. Common practice to determine remaining paint thickness.
Alabama Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
This would be ablative type if it matters. I know this sounds paranoid but I'm stuck in a yard now where my trust in them doing what I actually request them to do is quite shaken (long story) but I can't just take off for another yard as the boat is too large to be hauled out by anyone else within a 100 mile radius.

I know there are automotive paint thickness testers but would these work on bottom paint ?

(And before anyone says it, no I can't be here to observe the bottom paint process, live too far away and too busy...plus it would probably irritate them to know I no longer fully trust them)
The advice on different colors is good, but if you choose to do business with people you don't trust, I'm not sure there's a way to protect you. A dozen other ways they can screw up. How do you know they use the paint you wanted and not a cheaper one? How do you know about the hull prep? You don't trust them, you don't want to irritate them. I'd have to ask how and why the boat is there? The problem is that every time we deal with untrustworthy vendors we perpetuate the problem and encourage them, while we also run the risk we won't get a decent job.

The other option is to hire a captain or manager to supervise the work for you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Well I certainly wouldn't worry about irritating them. I trust you are paying them.

I am taking 2 weeks for a bottom paint in the Bahamas. No I don't have that kind of time, but I also do't want to be bottom painting in 6 months again. I made the time and will be there.
Why do you go to the Bahamas for bottom job??????
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I do my own so if the idiot that does the work doesn't give me what I pay for, I guess it is still my fault. Having said that, I really wouldn't want to paint a 65' boat...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I agree with BandB. I know it's far to take your boat but I would not use a yard I didn't trust (or doctor). I had to use a yard because the maker of the boat told me to take it there. They screwed the pooch so when I was told to go back I pushed back and went to a yard I trust.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You don't trust them, you don't want to irritate them. I'd have to ask how and why the boat is there?
Oh boy....the inevitable Monday morning quarterbacking. Do you actually think someone is stupid enough to take a very expensive boat to a yard they don't trust ?

The yard has, or at least had, a great reputation. So obviously I did trust them when I took it there. But without going into details, some things have gone on with my boat repairs (some hurricane Matthew damage) and engine servicing that have shaken my faith in them....

Mostly having to do with engine work really (oil and coolant changes not done properly, wrong kind of coolant for example...NAPA for cars....and being lied to about engine condition [speaking of which, who here knows more about Detroit diesels and minor rust particles in coolant issues ?]

I could go into details but it would involve a "he said, he said" sort of debate so there is no point. And no point in tarnishing* a yards reputation mostly over one experience where most others have probably have excellent experiences.

So really I'm just looking for answers to the actual question, and the two color idea seems to be the best idea so far...thanks to those who suggested that, great idea.

=================================

*If I really *wanted* to tarnish a reputation, I'm in a rather unique position where I own an internet forum that has more unique visitors and activity than Yachtworld, such that anything I post on my own site will be on page one of Google within minutes, probably forever. But highly unlikey it comes to that as they are basically very nice people.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"Just tell them to use two different colors."

White is claimed to have the least whale strikes.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #16
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Why do you go to the Bahamas for bottom job??????
4 reasons

I need a vacation

It's way cheaper

They don't have restrictions on paint

I collect precious stones that I only buy out of the country

Besides, who doesn't want to be on a beach in the Bahamas?
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
Oh boy....the inevitable Monday morning quarterbacking. Do you actually think someone is stupid enough to take a very expensive boat to a yard they don't trust ?

You're the one who said you didn't trust them. Not me. I simply said "if I didn't trust them."

I quote you: "I'm stuck in a yard now where my trust in them doing what I actually request them to do is quite shaken"

Then you asked how could you know if they actually painted two coats.

So don't blame the not trust part on me. I was just reading what you said. I guess what you wrote isn't the way you feel.

At no point did I suggest tarnishing their reputation. In fact, I was impressed that you didn't call them by name in your original post.

I don't know how expensive your boat is, but yes, your words made me think you'd have work done in a yard you didn't trust. You can't turn that on me. Just reading what you said.

I think two colors is a good idea or having someone local checking the work as it progresses, not just for that, but for any other problems.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
4 reasons

I need a vacation

It's way cheaper

They don't have restrictions on paint

I collect precious stones that I only buy out of the country

Besides, who doesn't want to be on a beach in the Bahamas?
Wifey B: Sounds so awful the way you describe it.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You're the one who said you didn't trust them. Not me. I simply said "if I didn't trust them."

I quote you: "I'm stuck in a yard now where my trust in them doing what I actually request them to do is quite shaken"

Then you asked how could you know if they actually painted two coats.

So don't blame the not trust part on me. I was just reading what you said. I guess what you wrote isn't the way you feel.

At no point did I suggest tarnishing their reputation. In fact, I was impressed that you didn't call them by name in your original post.

I don't know how expensive your boat is, but yes, your words made me think you'd have work done in a yard you didn't trust. You can't turn that on me. Just reading what you said.
(sigh)....I'll make it simple for you...things evolve...I did trust them when I brought the boat in...in fact I still do for fiberglass and paint work (Awlgrip type paint anyway, no idea on the bottom paint)...they have a fantastic FRP man and topsides paint team.....But when it comes to engines...OMG...what a disappointment I had no idea was in store for me.

Now also consider when I first got there was just after Hurricane Matthew...they were pretty much the only choice. The nearest in my town...both Dataw and Palmetto Bay Marinas were completely destroyed (plus it was always iffy on Dataw hauling it anyway due to their travel lift size) Both alternatives in Savannah, GA had their own damages to deal with and were not taking on new jobs for a month or more.

I could go on but this part of the conversation is so unnecessary....I just want to know about the bottom paint.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Guru

Well, trust or no trust, I like to see or have someone I trust see what is going on. The other way of achieving that is cameras. We already have security cameras so it's just a matter of accessing them a few times as the work is being done. They help in many other ways on a yard too, such as seeing the worker who decides to take a little nap on board or the one roaming through the boat when he has no reason to or others who happen to just wander on the yard. Helps you know if the yard security is really what they say it is.