Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
RE: Is there a name for this thing?

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:
*Does this "lock" my big sliding windows so I can no longer open them to crawl into my boat*when my door*lock freezes up and refuses to unlock with the key?
* * * ** Yes..... * In my case, the door lock froze up and a squirt of WD40 loosened up the lock.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:
*Does this "lock" my big sliding windows so I can no longer open them to crawl into my boat*when my door*lock freezes up and refuses to unlock with the key?
* * * ** Yes..... * In my case, the door lock froze up and a squirt of WD40 loosened up the lock.

You need to lock up your boats?*

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:

*Not in Miami. *Wachutalkingbout?
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Is there a name for this thing?

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:You need to lock up your boats?*
* * * ** Yes, you see, we are in the water 12 months of the year and insurance companies tell us that burglaries happen more often when the boat is in the water. Almost no one here has trouble with break ins when their boats are on the hard. (very few boats here are on the hard.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 08:28:35 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:

Generally we never lock our boat but when we first bought this one we thought it was so nifty it had a keyed lock installed in the door that we actually locked it once or twice.* It worked so poorly (even after trying to lube it with graphite or whatever) that we removed the lock.* We took the boat to an unfamiliar marina for two months over the summer and decided to fix the lock and buy dowels to "lock" the windows.* We never cut the dowels to fit so luckily they weren't installed as we did lock the boat the first time at the unfamiliar marina and of course I ended up crawling through the window again.* So no we don't typically lock it but it is nice to have the option.* *
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:

I think just about everyone locks their boat in our marina.* At least everyone that I know or observe unlocking their boat when they arrive at it does.

Break-ins have occured, usually with the theft of easy-to-grab items like binoculars, hand-held radios, laptops, and so on although there have been a few instances of panel-mounted electronics being removed.

On old GBs there is enough of a gap between the edge of the door and the door frame to slip a credit card or knife blade in and work the deadbolt back.* So a couple of years ago I made up a stainless plate to cover this gap over the lock mechanism and bolted it through the door.* A determined thief will always break in somehow, but keeping a boat locked and, in our case, preventing the means from working open the lock, will deter the opportunistic guy or at least send him on to an easier boat.

We also lock our outboard to our dinghy and the dinghy to the GB.* Outboard and dinghy thefts are a problem--- not a lot of them but always three or four a year in our 2000+ boat marina.* The Port has camera monitoring, coded access doors to the main dock gates that are locked at night, and routine foot patrols but a person wanting to steal a motor can always find a way to get access to it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Twelve years ago my pocket cutter was broken into.* The cutter was locked up but the thief broke the lock, damaging the hatch door.* Not sure that locks are the best way to minimize loss/damage.* Liveaboard neighbors at the marina are a better option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1065.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	9183  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76

Depends on the locale. When I lived in the Sierra, miles from anything, I never locked the door of the house. Didn't want the repair bill for the house (lots of glass) in addition to the theft loss. On the boat, it's situational - depends a lot on where you are. I guess I just want the option to lock down the boat when I think it's prudent. Pretty much anyone with a sawzall can get into most any pleasure boat in about 30 seconds. Locks and honest people and all that stuff.

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote