Old 06-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #81
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
PS has a point, time is too valuable to me to do the varnish thing 2-3 times a year so I will forgo a "Bristol Finish" (what ever that means) and do clear Cetol once a year maintenance coat after a quick Scotch-Pad buff and move on with life.

My rails get 4-6 hours a year of my time, the rest of the wood about the same so one weekend a year and that's enough.

If I win the Lotto then things might be different but until then Cetol is my choice for my location.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #82
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
SCOTTEDAVIS,
A point yes but what is the best Ballance of work and play. And more important than that is the value of each. With the right attitude work will be more rewarding and satisfying than play. My wife knows more about that than I do.

In m
Home built aircraft there's a lot of builders that rarely fly them .. 98% of the experience is building and there are many that do fly and spend a lot more than the average trawler owner on maintance .. and enjoy it.

Way too many people in this culture don't think their time is valuable unless the're playing. A world of playboys it seems. It's supposed to be part of growing up but many don't make it. I think Marin knows the joy of meaningful and satisfying work. Too many here are just focused on play. By the way I'm on my way to WORK on the boat. Haha but at the moment I'm at Starbucks playing ... hmmm.

As to the cap rail if you want to maximize play time the door's open to paint, aluminum, FG or ???

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #83
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
that pretty well sums it up...slackers....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #84
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Some people wax and polish their 4x4 pickups regularly, and even nurse them over the bump at the end of the driveway...ours goes down overgrown and decommissioned logging roads, because it's a 4x4!

Our boat has a workboat heritage, and it shows. Like Eric said earlier, it's so infrequently hot and sunny here on BC's north coast that we'd rather get out and enjoy it than do chores.

Having said that, I do scuff away at the loose Cetol flakes once in a while with the intention of coming to a decision next year, or the year after, or the year after that...
Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #85
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Some people wax and polish their 4x4 pickups regularly, and even nurse them over the bump at the end of the driveway...ours goes down overgrown and decommissioned logging roads, because it's a 4x4!

Our boat has a workboat heritage, and it shows. Like Eric said earlier, it's so infrequently hot and sunny here on BC's north coast that we'd rather get out and enjoy it than do chores.

Having said that, I do scuff away at the loose Cetol flakes once in a while with the intention of coming to a decision next year, or the year after, or the year after that...
Don't give up hope Murray. After a few years enough will flake off so there is less to sand and scrape. Took mine a while too. Then I sanded and properly varnished. Now I slop on a few coats of Epifanes in the spring and fall and all is good. It can even be touched up well with Epifanes fastcoat.

My Land Cruiser also has natures pin striping, but I do wash it a few times a year...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #86
Guru

Good point manyboats, however I am putoff by your post and wonder if others will be as well, you see I work 2 jobs one as an RN working nights 2-3 nights a week working 12+ hour night shifts plus as a working boat captain while also maintaining 4 boats to a ready go now status.

I will completely enjoy the 8-10 hours a week that I get to relax. I will be dammed if you or any other retired person with all week to do "meaningful work" make me feel bad for finding a way to do what works for me.

I'm not a rich man so to me and my peers "meaningful work" means I get paid for it. I am 53 so not retired, I am still in the rat race, no pension, no trust fund.

This is not a rant for those of you are retired, hey you earned it as I hope to do someday. I am over the top happy happy for those of you living the dream however I worry if it will still be possible for others (us) in the future.

Manyboats remember we are not all from the same "age and stage" here please keep that in mind.

Regards,

Capt, Scott Davis. RN, Paramedic, ALS certified, USAF Firefighter 1980-1985, Fl. Certified Building Contractor, Private Pilot, Building Inspector, and worn out tired SOB hoping to someday retire or die trying (well that's a given).
Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #87
Guru

What good point? If making the best birdhouse in the world, revered by all was done on the job for which you got paid or for your backyard because you are retired....what the heck is the difference?

If you are the best in the world at something...my guess that is pretty rewarding.

If I wish to tung oil my hand rails because they are less important than my leisure or professional birdhouse building....then so be it...

Good point? Hardly....it was just an opinion and a pretty judgmental one at that...or at least terribly one sided.

Hard work is just as admirable as hard play....no one gets to make the call either way.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #88
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. Well said (post #86). I guess your work load was the reason we didn't see anybody around Firefly when we stopped in at Loggerheads/Vero this past spring. Boat looked good. I REALLY like the name...
I'm retired and I really wish somebody could give me those "playboy" lessons. Mr. mb maybe?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. S. Well said (post #86). I guess your work load was the reason we didn't see anybody around Firefly when we stopped in at Loggerheads/Vero this past spring. Boat looked good. I REALLY like the name...
I'm retired and I really wish somebody could give me those "playboy" lessons. Mr. mb maybe?

Thank you sir, yes indeed being a part of living here the snowbird season is indeed work time for us.

Would have loved to to have a heads up next time. We really take to showing off our town and I would have loved to buy you a cold one.

Next time, promise?!!

S
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #90
Guru

OK I'll buy that ..... it was a little judgmental.

My point was supposed to be the work to do the varnish is like money to spend. If you enjoy it or have the potential to with the right attitude a chore could become a joy or even play. But if one really does hate work the varnish should be farmed out or changed to paint.

But there must be some "slackers" (as PS says) because there's a lot of complaining here about the work of varnish. In Alaska they don't whine .... they just buy aluminum boats .. old skiffs if your low on bucks. As to those putting in too many hours working .. you've made your choice. If you haven't got time to maintain the boat perhaps it was the wrong choice. Or you may be happy cruising w a boat that looks like a work boat.

As for my boat it's leaning toward the work boat look. Definitely not "Bristol".
Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #91
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
A previous owner of my boat allowed (most of) the external teak to go natural. I thought about varnishing it but there is an awful lot of it. Everyone that has seen the boat tells me to leave it the way it is. Given my boat also has a "working boat" boat look it doesn't look out of place. The doors are still varnished and I'll have to get to work on those shortly.

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #92
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Good grief. In the midst of this 90+ post long p*ssing contest has anyone else noticed that the OP (Mr. Cheech'), a newby, has not responded? I hope he has not been scared off after just 1 post...

Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
But if one really does hate work the varnish should be farmed out or changed to paint.

=.

Ya know there are other finishes besides varnish and paint.

It is a long way from Washington to Florida and as I told you varnish needs to be done here 3 times a year or covered up.

Cetol is fine and that was in response to the OP and his question, remember?

You do what ever your little heart desires but don't go around telling others that their choice makes them lazy. Play nice Deal?

I'm done.... bye.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #94
Guru

One man`s "work" is another man`s "enjoyable pastime".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 AM   #95
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
A previous owner of my boat allowed (most of) the external teak to go natural. I thought about varnishing it but there is an awful lot of it. Everyone that has seen the boat tells me to leave it the way it is. Given my boat also has a "working boat" boat look it doesn't look out of place. The doors are still varnished and I'll have to get to work on those shortly.

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5
Richard,
When I saw your boat a few weeks ago I actually admired her natural teak.. no need to punish your self with endless hours of varnishing.. she looks great.
Look at all the time you will have to be able to scrub the bilges with a toothbrush and scrubbing the anchor locker!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Good grief. In the midst of this 90+ post long p*ssing contest has anyone else noticed that the OP (Mr. Cheech'), a newby, has not responded? I hope he has not been scared off after just 1 post...

How can you leave? The entertainment is addicting....

Your funny posts are great but some of the serious ones are hysterical...
Old 06-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #97
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
One man`s "work" is another man`s "enjoyable pastime".

Amen. Can't wait to retire so I can wax on. wax off so I can see my ugly self in the gel-coat
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #98
Guru

SCOTTEDAVIS,
Well if the Cetol works for you that good. Not many options in Florida for a bright finish that's easy to maintain just like there wasn't many options in Alaska. I found an oil that worked acceptably fair for me and hopefully Cetol will provide for you.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #99
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
With the right attitude work will be more rewarding and satisfying than play.
No, with the right attitude work will be play.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #100
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Richard,
When I saw your boat a few weeks ago I actually admired her natural teak.. no need to punish your self with endless hours of varnishing.. she looks great.
Look at all the time you will have to be able to scrub the bilges with a toothbrush and scrubbing the anchor locker!

HOLLYWOOD
Thanks for the kind words! I think I will leave the teak natural.

You're comments on the bilge are a bit too close to the mark - makes me wonder if you've been in my engine room! And after weighing anchor in Paradise Cove you well know how much mud is in my anchor locker...

Richard

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cetol, oil, teak, top rail, varnish