Old 06-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #41
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Our boat is waaaay further down the Cetol disintegration path as it sat for years in the open before being sold.

Our first priorities were working on and upgrading the engine, battery system, etc, and have now started to chip away at the exterior woodwork as weather and house renovations permit.

Still deciding on letting it go silver (Badger does have 'workboat' heritage after all) or maybe pure tung oil. At the pace I'm going, it'll be a next year decision anyways!

As you can see from the last photo, the PO's weren't too careful with their masking tape application...
In post #7, the second piicture, is this ready for the Cetol application? I have the whole boat to do this fall and I need to know where to stop the prep.

High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #42
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. HW. Re: pic' #2. My opinion only...For simple sealing purposes only, with less regard to final appearance, yes that surface is ready. For a more appealing final appearance nope it's not. The method I would use is scrape the surface, with a very sharp scraper to "fresh" wood, sand and then start your coating process. (There's a thread somewhere dealing with scraping but good luck with ME remembering where it is). If you overcoat as in pic' #2 you will most definitely see the graying through the finish.
I have found scraping to be much more efficient and quicker that simply sanding. A very sharp scraper minimizes sanding.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #43
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Scraping and a heat gun work wonders. Almost like magic but not quite.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Libertyville
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marty,
I've not used acetone on my teak. Not had any problems w adhesion either.

Quite a few raves for Cetol but I still don't know what the stuff is.

One thing that can be said for it is that my paint store stocks it but more significantly Alaskans use lots and lots of Cetol. Very popular. I've tried just about everything else though.
SIKKENS CETOL:

From the MSDS sheet; Section #3 ( Composition/Information on ingredients ).

Appears to be Linseed Oil with a proprietary combination of vehicles, driers etc....etc.

If you don't have a full time deck hand to worry about the varnish, then this stuff and others like it, moves up on the list of things to stock which will more readily enable you a few more minutes to enjoy life. After all, when the time runs out.......that's it.
Right rudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Right rudder,
Raw Linseed oil and turpentine is primarily what I used to mix my own oil finish. I also included a little spar varnish and Japan Drier. I think there's something else but I can't remember what. A time or two I used some Penetrol. Outside of Alaska boiled Linseed oil would probably work better. My rails were a little sticky but I was always able to sit on the rail and get up w clean and dry pants. After a fresh coat water would bead up .. Big Time.

If you used 1/3 Tung oil, 1/3 Turpentine and 1/3 spar varnish w a little drier you'd have a very high oil coating. Don't know if it would "dry" though. Dayly's Sea Fin Teak Oil and Sikken's may be related. I always thought the secret to an easily maintained clear finish was to create no "build". Sea Fin does have build and requires basically the same treatment as varnish IMO. alkyds is the base of most oil based paints. It was said earlier that Sikkins had alkyds in it so I'm think'in Sikken's is probably a medium high oil, Linseed oil and alkyd resin finish. Sikkins is probably closer to a paint than traditional varnishes. The mystery ingredient probably gives it it's foggy orange look and they probably found a substitute for the "orange" ingredient and launched their new "clear" coatings. But if they continue the Orange product it may indicate the Orange substitute isn't as good as the "orange".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #46
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
In post #7, the second piicture, is this ready for the Cetol application?
Nope...just before and after photo's showing how bad it was and what it looked like right after the Cetol was removed.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Fire Escape
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
10 Coats of anything is too much for me! What's the drawbacks of just oiling the teak wood? Every few mos or so just wipe it down with an oil soaked rag.
Jim Gandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #48
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. HW. Re: pic' #2. My opinion only...For simple sealing purposes only, with less regard to final appearance, yes that surface is ready. For a more appealing final appearance nope it's not. The method I would use is scrape the surface, with a very sharp scraper to "fresh" wood, sand and then start your coating process. (There's a thread somewhere dealing with scraping but good luck with ME remembering where it is). If you overcoat as in pic' #2 you will most definitely see the graying through the finish.
I have found scraping to be much more efficient and quicker that simply sanding. A very sharp scraper minimizes sanding.

I agree. Keep cleaning/scraping. You're almost there so don't stop now.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #49
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gandee View Post
10 Coats of anything is too much for me! What's the drawbacks of just oiling the teak wood? Every few mos or so just wipe it down with an oil soaked rag.

It gets dirty and moldy. Your be better if just keeping it clean and unfinished.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
I tried that for awhile. The first two weeks looks beautiful and then starts going down hill. After two months it is dirty and black and you start all over again. I got tired of it after about three cycles and went the 7 coats of Cetol route and haven't looked back.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Fire Escape
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I tried that for awhile. The first two weeks looks beautiful and then starts going down hill. After two months it is dirty and black and you start all over again. I got tired of it after about three cycles and went the 7 coats of Cetol route and haven't looked back.
Ready,
Can you elaborate on "dirty and black". Do you mean the wood just darkened due to the oil? What type of oil did you use? Where is your boat kept, climate? After the oil did the Cetol adhere properly? How did you prep for Cetol after the wood being oiled?
Thanks for your help.
Jim Gandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #52
Guru

Thanks, thats what I thought. Im used to 2 part teak cleaners for small bits of trim. My Monk is a whole lot more! Going the Cetol Natural teak and Gloss route.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Here's how mine looked w my own mixed oil. The deck plate w the cleats is w spar varnish but the cap rails are in oil. Mostly linseed oil and turpentine. Recoated every 6 weeks or so w a brush. Was a bit sticky as it never did really dry. Probably in California it would be objectionably sticky w the hot sun. I never did try the rag app but I did get dirty runs that I didn't bother to clean up. Dosn't turn or anything like that if you keep at it and my brush app took very little time but then I didn't clean up the drips. Also others may have gone black from lack of turpentine. I mixed my oil w turp because it's a natural fungicide. One could add other fungicides as well and perhaps zinc of some sort. Maybe w a rag one could apply much thinner coats that may work better.

Re the "dirty and black" here's an extreme example of it. (2nd pic) Lots of oil and then 2.5 years of neglect. But as you can see my wife just takes it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71553 copy.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	40834   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1471 copy 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	40835  

Old 06-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Ready,
Can you elaborate on "dirty and black". Do you mean the wood just darkened due to the oil? What type of oil did you use? Where is your boat kept, climate? After the oil did the Cetol adhere properly? How did you prep for Cetol after the wood being oiled?
Thanks for your help.
We are in the Florida Keys.

The oil we used is Amazon Golden Teak Oil. There was some on the boat when I got it. I used it and then bought some more. It looks great when first applied but then gets dirty and black as time goes on. The black looks like mold of some kind. It is the same black you see on every boat with teak that has been neglected. I would clean it with a soft brush and a bucket of water with ammonia added to it. Rinse it and then let it dry before applying the teak oil. The other problem with oil is that it feels tacky, which probably facilitates atracting dirt and dust.

People told me that since I had been oiling the teak that varnish or anything else for that matter would not adhere to the teak. But I just cleaned it like I normally would only I did it twice and then cleaned it really good with acetone. It has been a couple of years now and it still looks great.

It took me a week of cleaning, scraping, sanding, and taping to get it ready. The next week I spent about two hours a day laying a coat of Cetol every morning. The first two coats were Natural Teak the last five were Clear Gloss. I did a light sanding in between every other coat. I want it to look nice but it is not a show boat. We were very happy with the way it turned out. Beautiful brightwork adds so much to a boat. I cannot stand to see new boats today with no brightwork.

When doing the brightwork the worst part is the sanding and that I think is why so many people do not want to do it. I found that with a heat gut and a good scraper it really cuts down on the sanding and actually gives you a better job as you are only removing the old coating and not any wood. When you have done everything you can with the scraper then you break out the sandpaper.

As always the above is only my opinion and experience.

This is a link to a couple of blog posts about refinishing our brightwork.

Living Aboard MV Walkabout: October 2013

Old 06-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #55
Guru

READY2GO,
Tung oil .. Linseed oil ect is fungus food.
Need to maintain an anti-fungus program using oil.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #56
Guru

A caution on linseed oil. A rag soaked in linseed oil can smolder and self ignite. Dont let used rags lay around.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
Old 06-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #57
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What I have read, tung does not mildew but linseed will.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #58
Guru

Psneeld,
I think they are both equally prone to grow black mould but Alaskans disagree. They frequently say tung oil dosn't work and turns black. Never heard any coments up there about Linseed oil.

High Wire,
Seems I got lucky. So the natural oils grow black mould and fire?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #59
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Here is just one of many sources I have read that says pure tung does not mildew.....

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/...ebunking-myths

The comparison is to boiled linseed oil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tungoildebunkingmyths2_comparisonchart_1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	40848  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #60
Guru

OK so someomne else says it dosn't mildew. Do you actually think Tung oil dosn't mildew?

I see the comparison you present uses boiled linseed oil. I've never heard of boiled Tung oil. I don't know why. Do you? I've never used boiled LO .. always "raw". And the fungus likes the raw LO just fine.

There was an extensive thread on oil finishes some time ago and finishes were presented that I think were nothing but Tung oil. Not likely that would be possible if the Tung oil turned black from fungus like linseed oil does. So what you and your references say is probably true. Dosn't seem likely though. I have a quart of Tung oil and I use it as an additive.

Tags
cetol, oil, teak, top rail, varnish