Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #1

City: Nassau
Vessel Name: Take Five II
Vessel Model: Present 42
Teak Railings

Hi,* just a FYI,* I have started to refinish my teak railings, decided to try the new "Cetol* Natural Teak"** I did not like the orange colour that the original Cetol gave,* but the Natural is looking very nice.
Attached Thumbnails
imag0069.jpg  
Take Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
RE: Teak Railings

I use the same and am happy with it, easy to apply and satin finish
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
Take Five wrote:
Hi,* just a FYI,* I have started to refinish my teak railings, decided to try the new "Cetol* Natural Teak"** I did not like the orange colour that the original Cetol gave,* but the Natural is looking very nice.
*I usually start out with one coat of the original Cetol and then the rest of the coats are all Cetol Light, for the same reason.* Easy to maintain and offers good protection.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Guru

Cetol did not last long enough for me
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Quote:
motion30 wrote:
Cetol did not last long enough for me
*The first time we used the new Cetol, it didn't last for us either.* We then started all over agin and put 3 coats of Cetol "Gloss" on top of 3 coats of Ceto Light.* It lasted maybe 10+ months in the Mexican sun before we had to renew.* It seems that the "Gloss" has more UV protection in it.* There is*no perfect product but the new Cetols are easy to put on,*easy to*renew and pretty forgiving.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Teak Railings

I use my own oil in Alaska so I never need to wood down and refinish. One usually dos'nt get phenolic resin and tung oil in a non gloss varnish. Re Cetol here in Alaska it's VERY popular and people put it on everything. I prefer my own oil or McKloskies gloss spar varnish or Interlux Schooner varnish. Both excellent products. I prefer a high tech precoat technique and a high quality low tech topcoat.

Pic is of my caprail w home made oil finish.

High Five, * How many coats have you got on there? Is it straight Cetol?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 11:54:17 AM
Attached Thumbnails
sth71168.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

I have 4 coats of Cetol Natural, rubbed after each coat coat with a green 3m scrub pad, and then 2 coats of the Cetol Clear.**** I plan to scrub with the pad at the end of May or early June and apply one coat of clear, ready for the summer.

Regards

Graham
Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Teak Railings

FWIW we have used Bristol on all the exterior teak on our boat. In the places where we've had the time to apply eight to ten coats we generally can go as long as six years without having to add another finish coat. A few years ago we took a shipwright's advice on the Grand Banks owners forum and have started putting a couple of coats of CPES on bare wood before applying the Bristol, and then applying the first coat of Bristol while the CPES is still a bit tacky. On some of the cabin trim strips where we applied the CPES but the weather and my scheduled to conspired to give us time for only one or two coats of Bristol after the CPES, the Bristol lasted for two years in the weather with no sign of deterioration. Not that we want to do this--- our minimum number of finish coats is eight if we can get that many on. But I was impressed to see how well just a one or two coats of finish held up with a CPES coating on the bare wood first. The CPES base process will not work on wood that already has a finish on it, by the way. It is for use on bare wood only.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 22nd of November 2011 01:46:22 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #9

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan

Of course, where Marin lives one does not need UV protection
Bill
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Take Five wrote:
I have 4 coats of Cetol Natural, rubbed after each coat coat with a green 3m scrub pad, and then 2 coats of the Cetol Clear.**** I plan to scrub with the pad at the end of May or early June and apply one coat of clear, ready for the summer.

Regards

Graham
There is no need for sanding or scrubbling between coats as long as the next coat is applied within 24 hours. The Natural without the Gloss over it does not last long. But with the gloss we only need to apply a maintenance coat once a year and that is here in south Florida. Our standard practice is three coats of natural and three coats of gloss. Lots of photos on our Beach House site. We have been using Cetol for years now after trying about every other finish. We will never use anything else and Beach House has lots of teak. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Yes, I'm a Cetol Man as well. - Just once or twice a year is all it needs, after a very quick light sand & wipe down. I don't apply anything over the top though. Chuck are you saying you apply a clear varnish over the top of the Cetol natural.? If so what type of clear do you use.? Or does Cetol now have a clear varnish type of finish coat out now I have not heard of...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
bnoft wrote:
Of course, where Marin lives one does not need UV protection
Bill
That would be true if UV did not penetrate cloud cover.** Unfortunately, it does.* Also, Bristol has more UV protection than any of the other finishes we have either tried or looked in to.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Teak Railings

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
*...*are you saying you apply a clear varnish over the top of the Cetol natural.? If so what type of clear do you use.? Or does Cetol now have a clear varnish type of finish coat out now I have not heard of...?

Peter

I think Sikkens is still making just the four types of Cetol for marine use.* Cetol gloss is the Clear finish product,*the other three are described as being translucent.* I've never tried the gloss, but Cetol is definately*the best product on the market that I have seen.

Larry B*

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 09:04:39 PM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I think all the products are good. It's the applicators that are frequently bad. That is .....bad preparations, no preparations or applications beyond the range of suitability for the product. Painting and clear coating is not rocket science nor is it witchcraft. Actually house paint is frequently more durable than marine finishes ....but it dos'nt have the wet look of a high gloss marine coating. Cetol is beyond a doubt very popular but I'm not convinced it's better than most other products formulated for the same purpose. In the 60s Chevrolet said in ads "x million people can't be wrong" but the people that bought Fords and Plymouth's were probably equally happy.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Teak Railings

Like Marin I use Bristol Finish on my outside teak.* The last time it was coated was in August of '07.* 9 coats in 2 days time.* It still looks good, but I will probably do about 3 maintenance coats in the next few months.* That should take 1 day to mask off and buff over with a Scotchbrite pad and 1 day for putting on the finish.* It is the best system that I have used.* The boat has spent time in Maryland, South Carolina, and Florida.* I have used sikens, teak oil, Cetal, and a number of other finishes over the years.* By far the best results and looks have come with using Bristol.* It looks and shines like varnish.* The photos were made within the last couple of months.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 09:45:54 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 09:54:47 PM
Attached Thumbnails
chesapeake trip '11 032.jpg   moonstruck detailed and window covers 001.jpg   moonstruck detailed and window covers 002.jpg   cimg0166.jpg  
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but in the second picture showing the power cords is that a custom made cord lifter or is it off the shelf? Wife and I have toured many marinas lately and have not seen anything quite so clean for the purpose.
Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
Like Marin I use Bristol Finish on my outside teak.* The last time it was coated was in August of '07.* 9 coats in 2 days time.* It still looks good, but I will probably do about 3 maintenance coats in the next few months.* That should take 1 day to mask off and buff over with a Scotchbrite pad and 1 day for putting on the finish.* It is the best system that I have used.* The boat has spent time in Maryland, South Carolina, and Florida.* I have used sikens, teak oil, Cetal, and a number of other finishes over the years.* By far the best results and looks have come with using Bristol.* It looks and shines like varnish.* The photos were made within the last couple of months.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 09:45:54 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 09:54:47 PM
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #17

I find that the Cetol does not flow out like a vanish, so on areas like a hand rail or grab rail I find that a light rub with the pad gives a nicer feel to the finish. but thats just me.*** You and I have about the same climate conditions, so I hope to only have to do a maintenance coat once a year, once I get on top of it.* The PO let it go pretty bad.

Graham
Old 11-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #18

Teak Railings

Quote:
Take Five wrote:
Capn Chuck,

I find that the Cetol does not flow out like a vanish, so on areas like a hand rail or grab rail I find that a light rub with the pad gives a nicer feel to the finish. but thats just me.*** You and I have about the same climate conditions, so I hope to only have to do a maintenance coat once a year, once I get on top of it.* The PO let it go pretty bad.

Graham

-- Edited by Take Five on Thursday 24th of November 2011 07:46:19 AM
Old 11-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
CPseudonym wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but in the second picture showing the power cords is that a custom made cord lifter or is it off the shelf? Wife and I have toured many marinas lately and have not seen anything quite so clean for the purpose.
*Nothing to forgive.* It is a stock stainless steel boarding assist handle that is curved at the end to fit in a rod holder.* You can also get a stock, shorter chord holder that rod holder mounts.* I use te longer handle to keep the chords off the teak covering boards.* We sue it for both especially when we are at a dock where we can't use the convenient transom gate.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:CPseudonym wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but in the second picture showing the power cords is that a custom made cord lifter or is it off the shelf? Wife and I have toured many marinas lately and have not seen anything quite so clean for the purpose.
*Nothing to forgive.* It is a stock stainless steel boarding assist handle that is curved at the end to fit in a rod holder.* You can also get a stock, shorter chord holder that rod holder mounts.* I use te longer handle to keep the chords off the teak covering boards.* We sue it for both especially when we are at a dock where we can't use the convenient transom gate.

*I will definitely put that item on my shopping list. If I cannot locate one locally I'll PM you later for a link. Very classy.*
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote